Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-07-2020, 04:19 PM   #42976
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
Unpacking my new laptop. Lenovo P17 with 64GB of RAM, 2TB NVMe SSD, Intel i9-10980HK CPU, UHD display with NVidia Quadro T2000 4GB. I went cheap on the NVidia since I don't do much with graphics. I was very pleasantly surprised when the PO was okayed.

Admittedly, they didn't approve the dream version with 128GB of RAM, dual 2TB NVMe SSDs and the NVidia Quadro RTX 5000 with Max-Q 16GB display driver but I got a more than decent machine out of it.

Last edited by DNSB; 12-07-2020 at 11:02 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 04:28 PM   #42977
binaryhermit
Wizard
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd gen, so-called "All-New Kindle" (AKA 10th gen)
I'm curious, how much did that thing cost?
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 05:24 PM   #42978
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Unpacking my new laptop. Lenovo P17 with 64GB of RAM, 2TB NVMe SSD, Intel i9-10980HK CPU, UHD display with NVidia Quadro T2000 4GB. I went cheap on the NVidia since I don't do much with graphics. I was very pleasantly surprised when the PO was okayed.

Admittedly, they didn't approve the dream version with 128GB of RAM, dual 2TB NVMe SSDs and the NVidia Quadro RTX 5000 with Max-Q 16GB display driver but I got a more than decent decent machine out of it.
Wow - I'll bet those cards really fly when you win a game of solitaire?
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 06:52 PM   #42979
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
I'm curious, how much did that thing cost?
~$5400Cdn. For the fully loaded one, about $9400Cdn. Both after discount.

The Lenovo page describes these as workstation laptops and they live up to that name. Though the power supply gives a real meaning to "power brick" (230W).

It was a pleasant surprise when it arrived since Lenovo said 5 weeks and it only took 27 days.

Last edited by DNSB; 12-07-2020 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-07-2020, 07:27 PM   #42980
binaryhermit
Wizard
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd gen, so-called "All-New Kindle" (AKA 10th gen)
The one you got would be about 4200 USD in a straight currency conversion.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 12:44 AM   #42981
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Unpacking my new laptop. [snippage]

Admittedly, they didn't approve the dream version with 128GB of RAM, dual 2TB NVMe SSDs and the NVidia Quadro RTX 5000 with Max-Q 16GB display driver but I got a more than decent machine out of it.
You can tell I'm getting old...now what makes me swoon is the idea of 128g of RAM....

Hitch
Hitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 06:19 AM   #42982
Rumpelteazer
Wizard
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 4
It's been a tiring and stressful couple of months.

Over the last six months or so my mother's mobility has been decreasing rapidly. Initially she used doctor Google to self diagnose, but eventually she got scared enough in October to call our GP. Eventually she was diagnosed with a stenosis in her neck (narrowing in the spinal cord due to arthritis, pinching the nerves) and mid November she was operated on.

I already did most of the house hold chores but when she got home most of her care fell on me. She's doing a lot better now, and can mostly take care of herself again. She is putting off making an appointment with the physiotherapist, so we will probably need to force her in the new year.

Add to that November and December are the busiest months of the year in our store. And with Corona fuses of customers are short and you have constant discussions about how many people we allow in our store ("but we are a bubble"), about customer keeping 1.5m apart from each other and us, about customers not parking their bicycles in front of the store (due to waiting lines that might form) and upset customer because things are sold out (Corona also makes shipments from China more difficult).

At the end of the day I didn't have the energy to read. I did a lot of cross stitching and watching easy TV (paranormal shows and a restart of X-Files).

On the 14th last week the government announced a lockdown to start at midnight. Most stores, including ours, are now closed until at least January 19, on the 12th the government will hold another press conference to let everyone know if the lockdown will continue or eased. Yes, it sucks that we have to close during the busiest time of year. But it also reduces the stress enormously.

Although my father and I go downstairs to the store four mornings a week I have more time to do things for myself and relax a bit. Although these days I'm doing most of the Christmas chores. I'm getting back into reading and watching new shows on Netflix (currently watching The Queen's Gambit when I'm cycling on the home trainer). As a combined gift for Christmas, end of the year work gift and a thank you for all the thing's I've done these past months I got an Ipad Air, I've also gotten an Apple Pencil and I've been enjoying doodling with the Procreate app. I'm happy to be able to get back to do the things I love doing for myself.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 05:46 PM   #42983
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Pushing an emergency content update to Palo Alto firewalls. Since we don't use Solarwinds' Orion software not really needed but policy is emergency contents updates get pushed immediately.

If anyone is interested, see How hacked is hacked? Here’s a ‘hack scale’ to better understand the SolarWinds cyberattacks
Old 12-29-2020, 05:34 AM   #42984
timebug
Ancient Sage
timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Just returned from mini shopping trip for essential supplies of food. Good fun walking in freshly fallen show!
timebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 06:54 PM   #42985
Rumpelteazer
Wizard
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 4
It might be mean to say, but I just realized that one of the positive side effects of having all cafes and restaurants closed (except for take away or delivery) is that I've heard very little mouse activity on my bedroom ceiling.

The cafes and restaurants were closed in March, the were open during summer and were closed again in October.

My bedroom is next to two restaurants, and at the front of the house one of the neighbours is a café. The buildings are all very old (my bedroom was build in the early 1500s and the "new" front facade was build in the early 1600s. So all these building interconnect in some way. The top of my ceiling sometimes sounds like a highway for mice between the two restaurants. During the two years we didn't have cats they also came into the living areas, including my bedroom.

Normally there's a period between mid to late spring to late summer when there is a lot of activity and in winter (the colder it is the more activity I hear).

So far I only sporadically heard mice crossing my ceiling in summer. This was when the restaurants and cafes were allowed to be open. I have heard a rustle in months. The restaurants are still open for pick up and delivery, but there will a lot less food around and maybe the food that is around is put away more securely than before. There will also be less trash for rodents to snack on.

Yes, I feel sorry for the people owning and working in these businesses, but it also had a positive side for nearby residents (I expect I'm not the only one).
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:11 PM   #42986
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I was just looking for an affordable ebook edition of Philosophical Investigations by Ludwig Wittgenstein when I came across this. Yes, $18.12 seems a bit expensive for an ebook, but at least the shipping is free.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5651A334-BBB9-4E6A-A430-1F7D9744E433.png
Views:	73
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	184722  
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:55 PM   #42987
Elektron
World's Smartest Idiot
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
Making some chicken pulao.
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 07:24 PM   #42988
poohbear_nc
What Next?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektron View Post
Making some chicken pulao.
Fiend!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 07:47 PM   #42989
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Having a virtual happy hour with some folks to mark the day.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 03:29 PM   #42990
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Working from home and boiling a couple of chicken carcasses down for bone broth.

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?