Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Sunrise

Notices

Old 02-23-2006, 10:15 PM   #1
cstray
cstray began at the beginning.

Device: Zodiac2
Link filtering

I've just switched to Plucker from Avantgo, and have been trying to set up some channels, and just found Sunrise! (mobileread is an awesome website, btw...can't believe I never stumbled on it before).

I've already gone through Plucker Desktop and tried my hand at sitescooper today, and have ended up on Sunrise XP. I'm trying to make a nicer Wired News channel by using the rss feed and then using the Link Filtering option to change the article links to the printer friendly ones. Is there a way to do this? I figured out the regexp to identify the article links, but it seems that the rewrite link has to be specific, and I don't know that since the article links will always change.

article links end in /0,#####-0.html?xxx...
printer links end in /1,#####-0.html (same # sequence)

Can you save that number sequence and stick it back in the rewrite link?

Hope this makes sense; I don't have much programming experience and am just figuring out this regexp thing on the fly.

EDIT: grr...such a noob...should have looked around more first. Just found this: link filtering. I think I should be able to figure it out from there...

Last edited by cstray; 02-23-2006 at 10:20 PM.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:29 PM   #2
cstray

I figured out how to get the Wired News printable versions, but have a question. In my browser (both Firefox and IE) there aren't any ads/other links between the header and the story. But in the plucked versions on my palm, there's about 2 pages worth...exactly what I was trying to avoid by going with the printable versions. Does anyone know how to get it like it looks online?
Old 02-26-2006, 04:14 AM   #3
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Try enabling cookies to see if that helps.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:39 AM   #4
cstray

Still getting the same thing with cookies enabled.

If the proper links show up in the 'update report' then those are the ones getting downloaded, right? Just want to make sure that I am actually pulling the pages I think I am.

I checked the source code for the printable pages, and oddly enough all of the extra stuff that I'm seeing on Plucker and not my computer browser is there, in the source code. So why doesn't it show up in my browser? I'm not http experienced enough to recognize what causes the difference...just wish I could make it disappear in Plucker so I don't have to scroll down so far to start the story!

Also, is Firefox cookie support going to be added? I hardly use IE anymore.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:08 AM   #5
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Problem is that Wired has many different types subsites, including news, archive, blogs, and hotwired. These all need separate link rewriting filters. It also uses JavaScript (which Sunrise does not support) to hide advertisements on the printable pages.

Firefox cookies will not be supported.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:19 AM   #6
cstray

got it. Guess I'll just have wade through the ads until they make a mobile-friendly page widely available again.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:13 AM   #7
Laurens
Jah Blessed

You could try the Wired News in the Showcase or use the AvantGo workaround discovered by Alexander.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:07 AM   #8
pablolic
pablolic began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX
Where can I find Sunrise equivalents of Avantgo channels ?

I'm trying to replace AvantGo by using SunriseXP+Plucker on my Palm TX.

Can anyone upload or provide a link to a site of proven Sunrise Document configurations that emulate the content of AvantGo CHANNELS ?
(I don't want to link to http://rim.avantgo.com since there are many broken links)

I'm having trouble and loosing too much time trying to set the correct Link depth, link filters, image sizes, etc.

The channels that I use are:
Business Week Online Handheld Edition
Clarín.com
CNET News.com
InfoWorld
Reuters - UK Edition

Thanks a lot in advance,
Pablo
Old 01-19-2008, 04:40 PM   #9
doogie68
Connoisseur
doogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it is

Device: TX
Pablo, unfortunately, you need to figure these things out, just like you would if you made a custom channel in AvantGo. Your personal tastes and resource needs are the ones that would dictate what these settings should be. I'd suggest you look at the wiki for sunrise, specifically the location linked below:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Sunr...s_for_your_SXL

Good luck!