Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > BeBook

Notices

Old 11-16-2009, 04:18 PM   #1
kaar
kaar began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook One
new to Bebook: now what?

Hello

I just purchased a Bebook and I think that makes this the thread for me to educate and inform myself on what my new gem can do but while looking around it leaves me confused (yes, again!) because where to start?

I've downloaded some freebees and they are fun but I'd like to have a bit better understanding of what I'm actually holding in my hands right now.
Formats, firmware, DMR or not; they are all foreign words for me.

So, I guess my first question (to keep me reading)will be which formats my Bebook prefers? Do I look for .pdf files, adobe reader or .lit instead?
And should I update the software with new versions found on mybebook.com?

And: where can I start reading about the very basics of an ebookreader and work my why up without being too overwhelmed? The topics in this thread are already pretty complicated to understand from a noob's point of view...

kaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:22 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Trying looking in the wiki.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2009, 04:56 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If you have the latest firmware, it supports DRMed (encrypted) ebooks in Adobe formats. See the Books on Board EZ Reader help page for how to authorize your device to your AdobeID. The EZ Readers are Hanlins, just like the BeBooks.

Adobe ePub is the most popular ebook format in Europe, and BoB is a good US site for buying ePubs (you may need to spoof the site to buy US ebooks from outside the US).

Other good formats for DRM-free ebooks on the Hanlins are FB2 and MOBI. Calibre (has its own forum here) can convert almost any DRM-free ebook into your favourite format.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 03:50 PM   #4
Tinwolf
Greasy biker
Tinwolf began at the beginning.

Device: Be-book, Jetbook, Kindle
I`ve had a be-book for about 6 months now and I`m still happy with it. I`ve not updated to the latest firmware because I prefer my books in the mobi format and the latest update won`t read book in the secure mobi format (I don`t know if it will read not DRM mobi but it probably does).

I prefer mobi format because I think the layout looks nicer on the screen, the zoom function in epub doesn`t look as good to me as mobi.
I`m not sure what firmware yours has come with, perhaps they`re shipping them now with the latest firmware already installed.

One thing that attracted me to the be-book was the amount of formats it can read so I guess the best thing for you is to get free books in the different formats to test which you like, using calibre which is free and very easy to use you can convert books to various formats to try.
Pdf aren`t very goo on the be-book as you have to zoom in all the way to read and then it`s not very big.

I am still very much a newbie when it comes to ebooks and readers but I`m learning all the time, keep at it and just experiment, there`s always the reset button
Tinwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 05:09 PM   #5
kaar
kaar began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook One
Thanks for the answers! I've been reading in wiki pages (so many new terms to familiarize myself with...)

I've been out of the country on a short holidaytrip and before I left I just dumped whatever ebooks I had collected already on my Bebook .... mostly lit and pdf files.
It was awsome to have such a light shoulderbag on the plane and still have plenty to read

I have also noticed that the .pdf isn't the best format for my Bebook, Tinwolf and I'll try Calibre to see if I can convert them to a better format as wallcraft suggested.

I do have one more question: I know you can use an SD card for extra space... I had a look in the stores and they have SD High Capacity cards there which come with a warning that they aren't suitable for all devices: some apparently only are able to deal with a 'traditional' SD card.
Does it make a difference for the Bebook? I must admit I have no idea what the difference would be between an High Capacity card and a traditional card....
kaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2009, 05:22 PM   #6
Tinwolf
Greasy biker
Tinwolf began at the beginning.

Device: Be-book, Jetbook, Kindle
I`m not sure if you`ve visited the be-book forum which has some great advice on but there is this thread about SD cards that work.
SD CARDS THREAD
Tinwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 06:22 PM   #7
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Hi kaar.
For book storage you should be ok with any SD card. Users have reported 32gb cards working ok. For firmware upgrades however, things are a little more complicated. You need a 2gb or less basic SD not SDHC and even then not all cards work. If you are happy with your BeBook at the moment, I wouldn't worry about upgrades yet. Just enjoy reading and buy a nice big card for your library.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote