Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-10-2008, 12:29 AM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But, even if you could charge from an AC based USB adaptor, you would take longer to charge and you could not read at all while charging. So really, when charging, it's best to use a proper AC adapter that will allow faster charge time and reading while charging.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 05:26 PM   #32
revmike
Zealot
revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony Readers 505 \ T-2, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8
Quote:
I just would not want to risk my 505 with some unknown cheaply made PSP AC adapter.
Well I finally had the opportunity to use my "cheap" AC adapter and It worked perfectly. Has a charging light that turns from red to green when finished. It fully charged my 505 from the low battery sign to a full charge in just a couple of hours.
revmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2008, 01:41 PM   #33
waison
waison began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3
Correct me if I am wrong. As the PSP AC Charger outputs 2000mAh for the current , it will have a "Quick Charge" effect which might not be good for the battery.

So I think a better choice is to use the PSP USB Sync and Charge cable, with the layout like that : http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-...zh-70-kuc.html
The mini-USB can be used for connection to the pc only, but you can use another end to plug in the "DC IN" of the sony reader for charging.

And it is much cheaper than the AC Adapter!
waison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 01:51 PM   #34
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
The standard PRS charger (came with the 500, optional accessory for the 505), also has a 2000mAh output, and it does, indeed charge something like 60% faster. If it were bad for it, I rather think Sony wouldn't have gone with that spec. The Sony folks are also the ones who gave us the idea of using a PSP charger in the first place.

The cable you're describing is a great option too.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 01:53 PM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I bought a very cheap "no name" PSP charger from my local games store - cost about half the price of my official Sony one. It worked just fine with my PRS500.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2008, 04:09 PM   #36
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by waison View Post
Correct me if I am wrong. As the PSP AC Charger outputs 2000mAh for the current , it will have a "Quick Charge" effect which might not be good for the battery.

So I think a better choice is to use the PSP USB Sync and Charge cable, with the layout like that : http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-...zh-70-kuc.html
The mini-USB can be used for connection to the pc only, but you can use another end to plug in the "DC IN" of the sony reader for charging.

And it is much cheaper than the AC Adapter!
The current rating on a charger is the max output it will safely sustain. More is better. A device will only *draw* as much current as it needs to charge.

Problems can arise if the current rating of a charger is too *low* to match the requirements of the recharging circuit in a device.

That said, the PSP-to-USB cable is a handy cable that can be used to charge the Reader from a computer or from any usb charger.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:25 PM   #37
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
It is possible to charge batteries too quickly and cause damage, for instance simple over-heating. Some batteries have internal overtemp control and some don't. In the case of 2 to 3 amperes from PSP chargers, there are enough reports of using it (myself included) and any damage is not yet obvious after many charge cycles. YMMV but the concern is valid.

Sony's spec on their own 5.2V accessory charger is 2 amps. It is unlikely that Sony engineers would have screwed the pooch on its own specification.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 04:56 AM   #38
waison
waison began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3
Sorry all, my mistake.... cos I got several PDAs (the Sharp Zaurus, Sony CLIE, etc) are of 5V1A power supply, and just though the sony reader is the same.

I feel safe to charge it with the PSP AC Charger now!
waison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 02:57 AM   #39
queen13
queen13 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Is it right AC adapter for PRS 505?

* For the professional executive on the go, this charger is a must! The travel charger is lightweight and easy to carry while traveling. Simply plug one end into the wall, the other into your device, and it will recharge and condition your battery.
* Brand new non-OEM
* Input: 100V - 240V (U.S. & World Standard)
* LED light power indicator.
* Best replacement for original PSP travel charger.
* Intelligent IC chip inside recognizes a fully charged battery and automatically switches to a saver mode to prevent overcharging and short circuit.

It cost just $5!~!
from ebay
queen13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:04 AM   #40
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
If it works for PSP it will work for Reader.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:36 AM   #41
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by queen13 View Post

It cost just $5!~!
from ebay
Where did you get it for $5? The shipping alone is $4.95.
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:42 PM   #42
revmike
Zealot
revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony Readers 505 \ T-2, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8
That's the one that I have.
revmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 09:44 AM   #43
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
I purchased one from Target, by Psyclone Essentials. So far works fine, I'll of course scream, err, let everyone know if it ever puffs green smoke.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:24 PM   #44
GypsyWoman
Groupie
GypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony E Reader PRS-505/iTouch/Blackberry Curve-Pink
Thanks for the good info here. I ordered the Sony adapter from Ace Photo. I feel safer buying the Sony. I'm not very mechanical / electrical so this was better for me.

I do wished one came with the Reader. Doesn't make sense to me but, oh well.

Thanks again!
GypsyWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:45 PM   #45
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyWoman View Post
I do wished one came with the Reader. Doesn't make sense to me but, oh well.
One came with the 500. I think it is just a cost cutting measure. They probably save $5-$10 a unit by not including it.

Most people get a Sony Play Station charger, cause off-brand they can be found easily and cheaply.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote