Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 04-11-2012, 09:49 AM   #1
pphilipp
Addict
pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Apple iPad 3 (I have owned many other tablets)
Windows CE (WINCE)

As a person who got into WinCE in the very beginning (1990s), and actually has an affinity for the original HPC devices (they were ahead of their time, IMHO), I am just curious to see if anyone is still using a device operating a variation of Windows CE.

I was a steady WinCE user up until purchasing an iPad and an Android phone, and now my PDAs, tablets, and phone are gathering dust in the back of drawers or closets. Though I love the newer touch OSs and feel the iPad is the best touchscreen device I've ever used (twenty years + experience) I feel there are some things about the WinCE operating system that still has appeal to me.

Any current WinCE users here? If so, let me know what you're actually using that operates with what is one of the earlier touch interface systems. And, if you are using it, what are some of the things you like, and other things that bother you about it.

Thanks!
pphilipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:50 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I still use my Dell Axim - mostly because there's one particular program I love that hasn't been ported over to Android.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2012, 10:47 PM   #3
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I was up until I dropped my Mobile Pro 780 and damaged the screen. That was my favorite little machine, and I'd love to have an updated version.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:27 AM   #4
ignacio ferrer
Banned
ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by pphilipp View Post
As a person who got into WinCE in the very beginning (1990s), and actually has an affinity for the original HPC devices (they were ahead of their time, IMHO), I am just curious to see if anyone is still using a device operating a variation of Windows CE.

I was a steady WinCE user up until purchasing an iPad and an Android phone, and now my PDAs, tablets, and phone are gathering dust in the back of drawers or closets. Though I love the newer touch OSs and feel the iPad is the best touchscreen device I've ever used (twenty years + experience) I feel there are some things about the WinCE operating system that still has appeal to me.

Any current WinCE users here? If so, let me know what you're actually using that operates with what is one of the earlier touch interface systems. And, if you are using it, what are some of the things you like, and other things that bother you about it.

Thanks!
Maybe it is of interest to you that the Ectaco Jetbook Color(eInk-reader) runs on WinCe.
ignacio ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:46 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Still use my Fujitsu Siemens PDA. WinMobile 2003.

The only thing that bothers me is the loss of my OS if I lose all battery power... And I still love the stylus. Don't think I would ever buy a device (to be used as major tablet/pda-like device) that doesn't have a pointy stylus...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2012, 10:18 PM   #6
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
Used an Axim x51v daily even though have a new Elsse 4.3 gathering dust :-)

Have a mobilepro 780 that I used heavily for word processing till I got an 880 which my grandson liked so much it went home with him.

Feel guilty having the 780 in a drawer, it was such a great unit. Netbook is just too much faster and useful :-(
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:52 AM   #7
ClareK
Connoisseur
ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Laser
I'm still quite attached to my Ipaq 1910, although I hardly use it nowadays. I still have a few ebooks on it, in Microsoft Reader and Mobipocket format, but I never adjusted to reading books on such a small screen. Now the Ipaq has been replaced by my laptop, ereader and mp3 player...
ClareK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mobile, pen tablet, touch screen, wince, windows mobile