Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-27-2011, 04:34 PM   #1
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
"Page 1 of 1"

I'm having an odd problem where side-loaded epubs will sometimes display (on the home screen) that I'm on page 1 of 1. Clicking the book within my library will take me to the correct page, but clicking on the book on the home screen (or on the book icon in the upper left of the Nook on any other screen) takes me to page 1. This makes it difficult to keep my place in a book unless I remember to only open the file from the library.

I did an epub-to-epub conversion in Calibre for one file, and that seemed to work, but only that one time. Every other file I've sideloaded says "page 1 of 1" and stays that way no matter how many times I do a conversion.

However, I also have two side-loaded epubs that display "page 480 of 480" or whatever the last page is, no matter what page I'm actually on. It's also impossible to see how many pages I have left in a chapter when I click on "go to," because it always says "0 pages left."
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:35 PM   #2
Timur
Connoisseur
Timur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five words

Device: EBW1150, Nook STR
I am using firmware 1.1 and this happens to me when I overwrite a book file with a new version. This workaround works for me when I need to overwrite a file:

1. Connect Nook to PC.
2. Delete epub(s) from Nook I want to overwrite.
3. Eject Nook(safely).
4. Reconnect Nook.
5. Copy new files to Nook.

Hope this helps.
Timur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2011, 06:00 PM   #3
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Thank you! That totally worked.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:07 PM   #4
irishtexmex
Enthusiast
irishtexmex began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voygae (Old: B&N Nook ST)
I logged in tonight in a hotel by tethering my cell phone just so I could specifically ask this question. I'm glad to see a thread already on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timur View Post
I am using firmware 1.1 and this happens to me when I overwrite a book file with a new version. This workaround works for me when I need to overwrite a file:

1. Connect Nook to PC.
2. Delete epub(s) from Nook I want to overwrite.
3. Eject Nook(safely).
4. Reconnect Nook.
5. Copy new files to Nook.

Hope this helps.
Does that mean you're not using Calibre to manage the files/books on your Nook?
irishtexmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:46 AM   #5
Timur
Connoisseur
Timur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five words

@irishtexmex: I can see how using Calibre for transfer can cause this problem. I use Calibre to convert occasional books, but nothing else. I just copy files using a filemanager on my desktop PC.
Advert
Old 12-28-2011, 05:14 PM   #6
irishtexmex
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timur View Post
@irishtexmex: I can see how using Calibre for transfer can cause this problem. I use Calibre to convert occasional books, but nothing else. I just copy files using a filemanager on my desktop PC.
In that case, does that mean if i'm reading Book A on my Nook and i want to download Book B from my computer, I have to delete Book A from Nook, eject, reconnect, then load both books A & B in order to have Book A properly show "Page X of X" on the homepage?

To specify, I don't need to edit Book A. I only want to add/load Book B.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:46 PM   #7
Timur
Connoisseur

@irishtexmex: The procedure I have outlined above is only for overwriting books that already exist on the Nook. In your example there should be no need to delete Book A before copying Book B.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:57 PM   #8
irishtexmex
Enthusiast

@Timur: OK gotcha. In the meantime I guess this means to I just need to steer clear of Calibre for now.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:11 AM   #9
Timur
Connoisseur

Before giving up on Calibre try this:

When you right click on a book in Calibre the context menu has an item called "Remove books->Remove matching books from device". Have you tried using it? I guess it can be used in the same way to overwrite books: First remove the book you want to overwrite from Nook with it, then eject, reconnect and send the book to the Nook anew with Calibre.