Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-04-2011, 09:16 AM   #1
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Question Kindle Fire charger

Are we going to be able to charge the Kindle Fire with a regular USB cable/port? Just read that on an article from Gadgeteer.

I know the KF is not in the market yet, but that catches my attention, giving the case is a tablet; more flexibility when charging.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:17 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's a regular microUSB connector, I believe, so yes.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2011, 09:19 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Questions about the "Fire" belong in the "Fire" sub-forum; I've moved this thread here.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:38 AM   #4
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Questions about the "Fire" belong in the "Fire" sub-forum; I've moved this thread here.
Thanks, just missed it. I checked and did not find it, not sure why, maybe I need more coffee this morning, lol
Old 10-04-2011, 10:40 AM   #5
jocampo
Layback feline

So...

without the KF on our hands, I wonder how long it takes to charge. LCD displays usually require a lot of current, which I believe is not totally provided by a USB port?

I'm speculating here, of course. But if the KF can be charged via USB within a reasonable amount of time, that would be nice!
Advert
Old 10-04-2011, 10:40 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

No problem. We only created it yesterday.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:44 AM   #7
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
So...

without the KF on our hands, I wonder how long it takes to charge. LCD displays usually require a lot of current, which I believe is not totally provided by a USB port?

I'm speculating here, of course. But if the KF can be charged via USB within a reasonable amount of time, that would be nice!
From the Amazon website: Fully charges in approximately 4 hours via included U.S. power adapter. Also supports charging from your computer via USB

I think it usually takes longer to charge through USB for devices; am I correct in this?
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:49 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDaneel54 View Post
From the Amazon website: Fully charges in approximately 4 hours via included U.S. power adapter. Also supports charging from your computer via USB

I think it usually takes longer to charge through USB for devices; am I correct in this?
Generally, yes. A wall charger can normally supply a higher charging current than a PC's serial port.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:50 AM   #9
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDaneel54 View Post
USB ports usually offer 500mA. If the charger offers 1000mA and the device takes it, USB port would take twice as long.

However there are USB cables that use more than just one port for power, some external hard disks use them. You could do the same thing for an ereader pda thingy.

If the device comes with charger included, no reason to not use the charger though. Eink readers don't necessarily need one (easy to keep them charged beforehand thanks to long battery life) but with a lcd display you're more likely to have to plug it in as you read.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:36 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
So...

According to our wiki 4 hours via included U.S. power adapter. USB charging is longer. Specs are from the Amazon site.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:27 PM   #11
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
I almost never charge via the computer. I have a belkin surge protector with 3 extra outlets & 2 USB ports. I have chargers & cables everywhere, kitchen, by bed, both cars. Lol. You never know.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote