Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-27-2010, 08:17 AM   #1
kurtek119
kurtek119 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Advice please first time buyer. Wondering which ereader will meet my needs best

hey I'm looking into picking up a ereader and I'm wondering based on my interests if I should get a kindle or nook? Also if I should get wifi and 3g or not and color or not? Please give me ur recomendations and why. Thanks

I'd like the read blogs either over the internet or cut and pasted into a word doc. I'd like to read magazines, newspapers and books. I also like to read journals on behavior for my work as well. I live in a area with 3g and some wifi but not alot of free spots. In my home we don't have wifi.
kurtek119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:44 AM   #2
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
I would go to the reader matrix (https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix), look through all of the different features and see which ones are most important to you. Come back and ask questions if there's something in the matrix you don't understand.

The Sonys have better PDF reflow than other models. If your technical journal articles have lots of tables, charts, or diagrams, a larger screen reader, such as the Kindle DX or Sony 950 might be your best bet. I wouldn't get too hung up on which models work with which formats, as Calibre can convert to the format your device uses. Personally, I don't get too excited about WiFi or 3G because it's so easy to connect the reader to the computer and load them. For screen type, I'd go to someplace like Best Buy where you can see several of them together. The color readers do not use epaper screens. The ones that I've seen aren't as clear and easy to read as epaper.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2010, 10:04 AM   #3
ChupaLibro
Julio Angel Ortiz
ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChupaLibro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
I guess it depends on your area, but I found that with the proliferation of Wi-Fi, I don't miss having the 3G in my Nook.

As I've written elsewhere here, I researched both and personally found the Nook to be a better deal. Support for EPUB / sideloading books, expandable memory via the Micro SD slot, library borrowing, and in-store features sold me on the Nook. As for color vs. e-ink, I personally found the latter to be much easier on the eyes.

Good luck in your search!
ChupaLibro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:24 AM   #4
kurtek119

hey thanks for the quick reply, checked out the matrix and wow! alot of ereaders i didnt know about. On other question is can you change the voice on the text to speech feature on the kindle? like maybe download different voices since i hear the one on the kindle is terrible
Old 11-27-2010, 11:26 AM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, kurtek
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2010, 11:27 AM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtek119 View Post
hey thanks for the quick reply, checked out the matrix and wow! alot of ereaders i didnt know about. On other question is can you change the voice on the text to speech feature on the kindle? like maybe download different voices since i hear the one on the kindle is terrible
With the Kindle, if you purchase it from Amazon, you have j30 days to play around with it, download books (free if you want) and see if it meets your needs.

If it doesn't, you just pay return shipping.....no hassle, and they have a very good CS........thats something you need to check with every device.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 02:04 PM   #7
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
it sounds like the nook color will best fit your needs if you like to read newspapers and magazines on top of reading regular books.

It'll offer more functionality with docs. and pdf's than eink.

Last edited by boswd; 11-27-2010 at 02:06 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:12 PM   #8
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
My K3 has two voices, one male, one female. I am not aware of other voices but I would guess that they might have American (mine) or English accented voices?? They sound pretty computerish!
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:30 PM   #9
kurtek119

a second question on reading blogs on a ereader

I'm having a hard time finding a answer to this question. If I want to read blogs on a ereader, like say if I use google ereader on a kindle. Will I need 3g to read the blogs or would having wifi be enough. I'm thinking I would need a constant internet connection while reading blogs. Basically that I'm wondering if you can load the blogs ahead of time or need a internet connection whil reading them