Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-17-2018, 06:38 AM   #121
Matilo
Zealot
Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matilo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Mars, kindle Paperwhite 2nd generation, kindle fire hdx 8.9
E-ink technology just has a white reflection of 40 - 45 %. So when frontlight is turned off, it will never look as white as paper. CLEARink claims that its bistable platform can reach up to 80 % reflection. But I don't expect it will be released this year. But maybe you can try the following thing. Hold/place the Icarus Illumina XL HD under a reading light / table lamp with at least 40 W and at the same time turn the front light of the ereader on. Doing so the external light / table lamp will work as a bluelight filter. Then it must look really white very close to the white of a paper sheet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etatoby View Post
Here are a few pictures comparing a real manga with the best scanlation I could find. The pictures were taken in overcast daylight through a window, with e-reader frontlight turned off. As you can see, nothing compares to the real thing yet, both in detail and paper brightness. But the scanlation is still quite readable.

In the macro picture of the e-reader I tried to focus on the pixels underneath the "frosted glass" surface of the screen (otherwise you would just see the frosted glass texture.) You can see the pixel size if you look at the vertical motion lines on Yotsuba's t-shirt. They are easily an order of magnitude larger than the ink resolution on the paper version!

PS: I'm using this $6 Neewer Clip-On 3 Element 20x Macro Lens, in case you want to take similar pictures.

Matilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:29 AM   #122
cruc2017
cruc2017 began at the beginning.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD
I tried AlReader (a great application) but it doesn't have hyphenation for modern greek. I also tried KOReader. It does have modern greek hyphenation and it is very good with PDF files.

The problem with these applications is that they don't refresh the screen, although they have an option in their settings.

Is there a way to force them to refresh the screen?
cruc2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:59 AM   #123
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruc2017 View Post
If you go to the device's Settings, select Refresh Settings you should find settings to help you. Here is the excerpt from the user manual on the 3 options you'll find.

Refresh settings

You can adjust the way the screen is refreshed.

1. Auto refresh time setting
This is used to refresh the screen automatically after x seconds for third party apps.

2. A2 refresh
A2 is a refresh mode that enables faster screen refreshes. The screen quality is better is A2 is turned off.

3. Fullscreen flush
You can adjust the amount of pages after which a full refresh (black screen) occurs.

It seems as if either option 1 or 3 should help you with your refresh issue.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 02:28 PM   #124
p38lightning
Zealot
p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Lenovo Tab M9
Would like to replace the unit's sleep/off graphic page if this is possible. Cannot find where the file is located. Was able to easily do this with my previous Pocketbook 840 Ink Pad.

Any ideas/help???

Thanks.
p38lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 05:12 PM   #125
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by p38lightning View Post
Would like to replace the unit's sleep/off graphic page if this is possible. Cannot find where the file is located. Was able to easily do this with my previous Pocketbook 840 Ink Pad.

Any ideas/help???

Thanks.
I think making a Screensaver folder in the root directory and putting your image in the folder should work. Seems to work on mine. It may be the second time you put it to sleep that it shows the change.

Last edited by jscris; 01-25-2018 at 05:15 PM.
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:36 PM   #126
p38lightning
Zealot
p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.p38lightning can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

I understand your instructions but how does the unit's software know to look for this in a folder that I created? Also, did you use a .bmp, ,jpg, etc. for the file? I was looking for the original ss file so I could see the type and replace it with my choice using the same file name.

Thanks.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:42 AM   #127
colibris79
Zealot
colibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony T1, Onyx C67ML, Poke 4, Boyue Paper/Likebook
Quote:
I understand your instructions but how does the unit's software know to look for this in a folder that I created? Also, did you use a .bmp, ,jpg, etc. for the file? I was looking for the original ss file so I could see the type and replace it with my choice using the same file name.

Thanks.
Here you can see how to do it in previous Boyue devices

I could find the shutdownanimation.zip file with the image inside but I haven't been able to replace it.
colibris79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 05:35 AM   #128
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruc2017 View Post
I tried AlReader (a great application) but it doesn't have hyphenation for modern greek. I also tried KOReader. It does have modern greek hyphenation and it is very good with PDF files.

The problem with these applications is that they don't refresh the screen, although they have an option in their settings.

In Koreader, if you swipe diagonally, it should refresh the screen. Works on non-Android, not sure about Android https://github.com/koreader/koreader...eader-Gestures
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 06:52 AM   #129
p38lightning
Zealot

Thanks for the link. May give it a try.

1/31: Thanks to "colibris79" I was able to change the sleep image to one of my choosing.

Looking at the instructions for the startup/shutdown screen further downstream from here is a whole other story!

Last edited by p38lightning; 01-31-2018 at 04:51 PM. Reason: added info
Old 01-26-2018, 10:40 AM   #130
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Quote:

Thanks.
If the posted instructions for replacement don't work, using a jpg in a Screensaver folder should. I'm using the cover image from Calibre but have also used other images. To go back to the default, in Settings/User Defined there is an option to change the sleep mode picture to system default.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:01 AM   #131
colibris79
Zealot
colibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscris View Post
If the posted instructions for replacement don't work, using a jpg in a Screensaver folder should. I'm using the cover image from Calibre but have also used other images. To go back to the default, in Settings/User Defined there is an option to change the sleep mode picture to system default.
You can choose an image as the stand by background from an option in the stock image viewer as well. But can't change the power off one
Old 01-27-2018, 10:15 AM   #132
jscris
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by colibris79 View Post
You can choose an image as the stand by background from an option in the stock image viewer as well. But can't change the power off one
True. I found that last night when I did power it off, which I rarely do. Sorry, I didn't realize that.
Old 01-27-2018, 02:51 PM   #133
PharaohsVizier
Connoisseur
PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DXG, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
I'm curious if anyone feels that the blacks just aren't that dark on the Likebook. I got mine about a week ago, and I've been very impressed with the speed and how it handles PDFs with the right Android apps.

But in terms of just the display itself, it's also sharp enough, but the contrast isn't great. In comparison to either the Paperwhite or the Voyage, it just feels like the blacks aren't as black and the background isn't as white, and by quite a wide margin.
PharaohsVizier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 12:52 AM   #134
colibris79
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharaohsVizier View Post
I'm curious if anyone feels that the blacks just aren't that dark on the Likebook. I got mine about a week ago, and I've been very impressed with the speed and how it handles PDFs with the right Android apps.

But in terms of just the display itself, it's also sharp enough, but the contrast isn't great. In comparison to either the Paperwhite or the Voyage, it just feels like the blacks aren't as black and the background isn't as white, and by quite a wide margin.
I agree with you. I like the device very much, but the screen contrast is not the best.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:38 AM   #135
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharaohsVizier View Post
I don't have anything recent to compare it to. I've been using a Google Nexus 7 tablet for my reading for the last 5 years. I find the clarity and contrast to be excellent. I have the brightness set to 4 bars and in Moon + Reader I have the brightness set to 19%. Don't know if this makes a difference. Since I only have a backlit screen to compare it to I can't truly give an informed e-ink opinion. I've read a few dozen books since buying it and have zero eye strain and no clarity or contrast difficulties on the white background that I chose in my reading app.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote