Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-25-2017, 09:35 PM   #2626
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Well, that isn't the error message you are getting trying to run KUAL.

But the solution is easy - you haven't yet installed the 'hotfix'.
You DO NOT need the MKK package (you haven't ruined anything trying to install it, but forget it).
You DO need the 'hotfix' package (which also contains our application keys - i.e: the contents of MKK).

If the one linked to in this thread does not work, use either one in the "snapshots of coplate packages".

= = = =

Hey, guess what -
there is a reason the first post is longer than coplate's summary.
as he posted, don't use his summary, use the full directions in the first post, including the content of spoilers even if you think you can guess what they contain.

Last edited by knc1; 09-25-2017 at 09:38 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:08 PM   #2627
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by saluli View Post
I managed to downgrade, register, and I think Imanages to JB, considering ther is a document saying "you are jailbroken" on my kindle.

But I still cannot make KUAL works, it says it is not signed. I tried rereading all the topics and installing again the JB, but is grayed out. I tried to istall mkk also, but it does not work.

I spent hours on every post and still cannot find my error. Could be a fault of my english (non-native) or my lack of tech abilities... I am totally lost here

Luke knc1 said, when I wrote "install everything else", that meant follow all the rest of the instructions.

My quick instructions about when to register are addition to steps 4(downgrade) and 5(jailbreak). It looks like you missed at least step 6.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 12:10 PM   #2628
Akrilove
Akrilove began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Ok, so, I am trying to figure out if I have done something wrong or if my kindle is just one that wont let me do this. I have tried several times now to do this with my Kindle PW3 G090G1 with the special offers disabled (legally, paid Amazon to remove them) running firmware 5.8.10

I backed up all my books (the documents folder)

I did a factory reset, both with the menu option and the "DO_FACTORY_RESET" method to see if that would help

I re-register the kindle, and put it into airplane mode

I downloaded "update_PW3_5.7.4_initial.bin" and verified it with the matching .md5 file

And here is where I always get stuck. I connect the kindle to my laptop, copy the file over to the kindle, and then safely eject it before disconnecting. However the "Update Kindle" button stays greyed out. Reconnecting it to my pc, I find that the kindle has removed the file. I have read around places and I have read that this doesn't work with my PW3, but ive read other places it does and now I'm confused about what to do or try next.
Akrilove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 12:26 PM   #2629
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrilove View Post
Ok, so, I am trying to figure out if I have done something wrong or if my kindle is just one that wont let me do this. I have tried several times now to do this with my Kindle PW3 G090G1 with the special offers disabled (legally, paid Amazon to remove them) running firmware 5.8.10

I backed up all my books (the documents folder)

I did a factory reset, both with the menu option and the "DO_FACTORY_RESET" method to see if that would help

I re-register the kindle, and put it into airplane mode

I downloaded "update_PW3_5.7.4_initial.bin" and verified it with the matching .md5 file

And here is where I always get stuck. I connect the kindle to my laptop, copy the file over to the kindle, and then safely eject it before disconnecting. However the "Update Kindle" button stays greyed out. Reconnecting it to my pc, I find that the kindle has removed the file. I have read around places and I have read that this doesn't work with my PW3, but ive read other places it does and now I'm confused about what to do or try next.
You cannot jailbreak with that firmware.
Also it is DO_FACTORY_RESTORE not reset.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 07:31 PM   #2630
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
- - - - -
I have read around places and I have read that this doesn't work with my PW3, but ive read other places it does and now I'm confused about what to do or try next.
Come on now, give me a break and a few hints here.

Top post (the only one of this thread that counts):
Quote:
Will this jail break work on my current firmware?
If the third field of your firmware version number: 5.8.7.0.1 is larger than 7 this jail break will not work on your device.
That means it will not work on: 5.8.8, 5.8.9, 5.8.10, ..., 5.8.99999999.
Please do not even think of asking if this message still means what is written. The message is kept current.
How can I write that so when (if) you read it, you will believe it?

Which brings to mind another question of logic -
Why bother to read something that you are predisposed to disbelieve?
What good is reading directions that you intend to only selectively believe?

If you have read somewhere that it does work on 5.8.10 -
Then the only reasonable thing you can do is go to that somewhere else for your jailbreak.
If you read it there, then it certainly must be true there. Let those people help you.

Can you see my own problem here?
After 14 months of maintaining that first post, I can not write it so that people (such as yourself) will believe what I write.
How can I even start to correct the rest of the world's mistakes?
Old 10-01-2017, 12:45 AM   #2631
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Hi all.

I started working on the wiki version of knc1's main post, But I only go the first couple sections.

Getting the lists to look right in the wiki code is going to take a lot of typing.

It looks like the wiki pages may be able to use some forms of html code, so it may be easier to writ the lists as html lists, instead of wiki lists.

I could not think of a creative name, so I just went with this:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/5_x_Jailbreak
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 01:04 AM   #2632
Cambion
Cambion began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 2 PW2IL
Thank you knc1, I know I was a little harsh on you in a previous thread saying you were "slightly above usless".

After wreaking my first kindle with a bad soldering job my new kindle arrived with an older firmware.

This thread was highly usefull in helping me jailbreak my new kindle.
Cambion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 01:08 AM   #2633
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambion View Post
Thank you knc1, I know I was a little harsh on you in a previous thread saying you were "slightly above usless".

After wreaking my first kindle with a bad soldering job my new kindle arrived with an older firmware.

This thread was highly usefull in helping me jailbreak my new kindle.
I am glad you got your new kindle jailbroke.
Spoiler:
Thank you for the apology.
Old 10-01-2017, 02:50 PM   #2634
Akrilove
Akrilove began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Ok soo... Yeah my bad for asking for help i guess. But also my bad for misreading things on the pages here. 5.8.1 is somehow doable, or at least some say it does, even with this method (there page actually links to here and everything) but 5.8.10 is not. Oh well. Ill have to look for the serial port method. I haven't soldered anything in awhile but frankly the kindle stock doesnt do what I would like, and I hear the improved PDF reader would help, and the lock screen hack to add your contact info would make a good theft deterrent.
Akrilove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 06:32 PM   #2635
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Ok soo... Yeah my bad for asking for help i guess. But also my bad for misreading things on the pages here. 5.8.1 is somehow doable, or at least some say it does, even with this method (there page actually links to here and everything) but 5.8.10 is not. Oh well. Ill have to look for the serial port method. I haven't soldered anything in awhile but frankly the kindle stock doesnt do what I would like, and I hear the improved PDF reader would help, and the lock screen hack to add your contact info would make a good theft deterrent.
Oh I see how you read the number. You read it as Five point Eight point One Zero. When the number is Five point Eight point Ten. Easy mistake.

*Reference to anyone reading: Five point eight point Seven is the highest that can be jailbroken. 5.8.10 is bigger than 5.8.7.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:34 PM   #2636
knc1
Going Viral

Oh, right!
Maybe readers don't know about how we stole the version numbering from the Arabs.
The sequence goes:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ....
Where 1 != 10
That is, where the character "0" is not just an insignificant placeholder.
It has a meaning which makes its presence or absence significant.
Been that way for a while now, at least since 773A.D.

Probably one of the first examples of:
How 10% never get the word (or the memo).
Old 10-03-2017, 10:37 AM   #2637
CaesarW
Linux enthusiast
CaesarW began at the beginning.

Device: PW3 PW4 (all jb)
Hey guys! I think I may have a big news.
One of my class mate, he accidentally bricked a jailbroken kindle. And he asked Amazon for a replacement using the excuse of "OTA error causing system failure". He succeed and got a Kindle with lower version of software 5.7.4, and he then jailbroke it again and continued using.

Here comes the important part. I want to jailbreak my Kindle too. But I accidentally allowed the system to upgrade instead of creating a folder to block OTA. After the OTA to 5.8.10. I am really sad. I then followed my classmate's method, and made my Kindle a fake "brick". Amazon accepted to replace it too. Then the miracle happened. I didn't get a version of 5.7.4, but 5.8.9.0.1. Yes, the version that mentioned in knc1's post. I think I figured out what the firmware 5.8.9.0.1 is. It's the factory fix and maybe debug firmware. Since the Kindle I got is not brand new. Amazon told me it was a refurbished Kindle. So it's highly possible to be a factory test firmware and "why it's not a released firmware" can be explained.

Also, I tried jailbreaking. Successful at last. Which means, I am the rare one?

Thank all the developers and authors of jailbreaking and KUAL and extensions, thank you for your devotion and effort!

PS: I am current in China and Amazon's return and replacement policies can be different in different regions. If you want to have a try like me, you can call Amazon's customer hotline and have a try...LOL

That's all. Thanks for reading. (Or maybe the post is too long?
CaesarW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:27 AM   #2638
Nightraven
Nightraven began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Hello,

I kept my jailbroken PW3- serial number starting with G090 - in 5.7.4, but I accidently deleted the file "update.bin.tmp.partial" and then it updated itself to 5.8.10.

After reading through this thread, I understood that jailbreak survives after update, but addons has to be reinstalled.
My questions are(couldn't find them with search function...):
- Do I have to delete folders(mrpackages, etc.) before reinstalling anything?
- If it is, what kind of folders do I have to delete? I've installed KUAL, Koreader, and fonthack(by the way, is there any fonthack that supports versions over 5.8?).

Last edited by Nightraven; 10-04-2017 at 09:30 AM.
Nightraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:51 AM   #2639
knc1
Going Viral

Just re-install everything (other than the jb and the hotfix).
The installation code in each case will "do the right thing".
Old 10-04-2017, 01:57 PM   #2640
JotaCe
JotaCe doesn't litterJotaCe doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3
Sorry but when trying to download the initial factory firmware (step 3 in first post) I find that the download is not public, is set to private (in both, primary and secondary sources). Maybe you have published somewhere the way to access them, but I cannot find it. Any help?

Last edited by JotaCe; 10-04-2017 at 01:59 PM.
JotaCe is offline   Reply With Quote