Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-27-2014, 10:33 PM   #1
Wayne Borean
Wayne Borean began at the beginning.

Device: iPad A1458
I think this is the wrong thread

But I took a sleeping pill a while back, and I'm close to falling over, and can't read the screen.

Is there a system in place in Calibre to recognize the Project Gutenberg book numbers?

I ask this for two reasons:

1) I don't always remember author death dates, and knowing that a particular book is a Gutenberg on means I can share it, and not worry. It would be useful if a 'G' showed up beside the entry for the book.

2) The same is true of ARCHIVE.ORG and Google Books.

Gutenberg got mentioned first because it is my favorite, and because the book numbers would make it easier. I'm not sure there's an easy method to to determine if an ARCHIVE or Google file is out of copyright.

Wayne
Wayne Borean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:44 AM   #2
Inferno
Connoisseur
Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android tablets
Not answering the entire post but you can add a column to your calibre library called shareable and mark it for your your shareable books.

I have to wonder if there isn't a way to do a plugin that would search titles that are Gutenberg numbers and return the author title info.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:01 PM   #3
McGonigle
Connoisseur
McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad 2018,
A very good question, one I would like see answered as well.

Currently I've set up with a search for the tags: (tags:"Public Domain" or tags:"www.gutenberg.org"), but it isn't bulletproof.

As a little touch I've added the Gutenberg icon below each book in cover grid view.
McGonigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:56 PM   #4
Wayne Borean
Wayne Borean began at the beginning.

Device: iPad A1458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Not answering the entire post but you can add a column to your calibre library called shareable and mark it for your your shareable books.

I have to wonder if there isn't a way to do a plugin that would search titles that are Gutenberg numbers and return the author title info.
I know. I was hoping for something automated. Working manually is a pain, and I'd rather let the computer do the heavy lifting

Wayne
Wayne Borean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:07 AM   #5
Inferno
Connoisseur
Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android tablets
You can create a separate library that you add the sharable books to. As you are cleaning up and doing tags you can bulk add the "checkmark" to your column for shareable.

The Gutenberg naming convention is a bit of a pain but they must have a reason for it. Curious... I never download the epub version. Is the title in the metadata of these the actual title or their designation?
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:07 PM   #6
BookJunkieLI
Evangelist
BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle 4, Nook Gl4, Nook STR, REB 1100, Ebookwise 1500,
It's not a perfect solution and I haven't checked how it works with Google Books or ARCHIVE but kind of does what I think you want for Project Gutenberg.

Create a custom column based off the ISBN option. Rename it whatever you prefer, I called it Identifiers, then in the template remove everything but {identifiers}. For Project Gutenberg books it shows you the uri, which in the case of The Adventure of Huckleberry Finn is http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/76 You could then do a sort based on that column and it will group all of the Project Gutenberg books together.

As I said, not perfect but perhaps useful?
BookJunkieLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:09 PM   #7
BookJunkieLI
Evangelist
BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle 4, Nook Gl4, Nook STR, REB 1100, Ebookwise 1500,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
The Gutenberg naming convention is a bit of a pain but they must have a reason for it. Curious... I never download the epub version. Is the title in the metadata of these the actual title or their designation?
For the epub, at least, it is the proper title rather than their odd file name.
BookJunkieLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:29 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookJunkieLI View Post
It's not a perfect solution and I haven't checked how it works with Google Books or ARCHIVE but kind of does what I think you want for Project Gutenberg.

Create a custom column based off the ISBN option. Rename it whatever you prefer, I called it Identifiers, then in the template remove everything but {identifiers}. For Project Gutenberg books it shows you the uri, which in the case of The Adventure of Huckleberry Finn is http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/76 You could then do a sort based on that column and it will group all of the Project Gutenberg books together.

As I said, not perfect but perhaps useful?
Or use a saved search.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote