Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 09-24-2008, 04:45 PM   #301
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
Calibre more-or-less replaces Sony's elibrary software. It's free and open-source. Its forum is here on mobileread.com
Also, it doesn't completely and utterly suck like Sony's eBook Library. This is a fairly important characteristic.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:08 AM   #302
TetraKM
Connoisseur
TetraKM doesn't litterTetraKM doesn't litter

Device: Sony 505
Adding an external switch

Hi Jeff,

I have an unusual request

I wnat to be able to adapt the reader so that i can use the USB port to control it.

I work with disabled clients and those I work with would love to be able to read a book but dont have the motor skills to press the small button on the sony reader.

I wondered if you could give me some advice on whether if using a switch a single press could get the reader to move the highlighting round (scan the options) on the screen then with another press pause the software, followed by another press to make the selection – making the whole process a controlled by a button press of a switch?

Does this make any sense.

If it doesn’t feel free to PM me so we can discuss it further.

Also if this is beyond what you can do with your new software from the reader is there any way you can let me have the code or what the reader uses as an operating system so I can look into adapting one.

Ta

TetraKM
TetraKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:22 AM   #303
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by TetraKM View Post
Also if this is beyond what you can do with your new software from the reader is there any way you can let me have the code or what the reader uses as an operating system so I can look into adapting one.
Basically, all PRSCustomizer does is jigger xml files. What you're looking for are beyond its humble abilities

Sony's Reader uses open source Linux as its OS base, but unfortunately, the application software (the reader) is closed,closed,closed

Look for the OpenInkPot topic here on mobileread or google them for their website. They are working to develop a truly open software stack for the Sony and other readers that would be open to just the types of modifications you're looking for.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:12 AM   #304
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Also, it doesn't completely and utterly suck like Sony's eBook Library. This is a fairly important characteristic.
eBook Library works fine here. It does what it is supposed to do and does it well. If you have any issue with it, then I think it's an issue with your computer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:19 AM   #305
Brainstem
Brainstem began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Quote:
Calibre more-or-less replaces Sony's elibrary software. It's free and open-source. Its forum is here on mobileread.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Thanks. I googled and downloaded it. I know what you mean. I finally got the customizer to work. There was a file corruption somewhere. I had to reflash the PRS Customizer and Sony's update around 6 times each before it looked good (a couple of times I was getting vertical lines across the screen creating a grid and random artifacts) on the reader AND was recognized by elibrary and calibre.
Thanks again.

B.
Brainstem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:28 PM   #306
TetraKM
Connoisseur
TetraKM doesn't litterTetraKM doesn't litter

Device: Sony 505
Quote:
Basically, all PRSCustomizer does is jigger xml files. What you're looking for are beyond its humble abilities

Sony's Reader uses open source Linux as its OS base, but unfortunately, the application software (the reader) is closed,closed,closed

Look for the OpenInkPot topic here on mobileread or google them for their website. They are working to develop a truly open software stack for the Sony and other readers that would be open to just the types of modifications you're looking for.

Thanks Jeff - We have soem contact with Sony as an organisation and we will look into it
TetraKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 05:16 PM   #307
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Update: PRSCustomizer 0.08a

New version 0.08a is available at PRSCustomizer.com
Old 09-27-2008, 05:40 PM   #308
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
New version 0.08a is available at PRSCustomizer.com
Turn off right justification for BBeB books should read Set full justification to left justification for BBeB books or Turn on left justification for BBeb books. Also, iconset 5 doesn't have enough icons.
Old 09-27-2008, 05:42 PM   #309
JeffElkins
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
TAlso, iconset 5 doesn't have enough icons.
What's missing?
Old 09-27-2008, 05:46 PM   #310
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
What's missing?
The last 7 icon pairs are missing from the right hand side of the icons.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:36 PM   #311
JeffElkins
Guru

Quote:
The last 7 icon pairs are missing from the right hand side of the icons.
I don't see that here, but in any case I've pulled 0.08a and substituted 0.08b (4 iconsets) until I can sort it out. Thanks for pointing out a possible problem.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:40 PM   #312
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I don't see that here, but in any case I've pulled 0.08a and substituted 0.08b (4 iconsets) until I can sort it out. Thanks for pointing out a possible problem.
I did not look at the iconsets in the zip file. I've only looked at them via the links on your site. So if the 5th iconset is actually ok in the zip file, then substituting the one in the ZIP file for the one on the site will fix that.

Did you sort out the wording for the justification in 0.08b? The justification is not right justification it is full justification unless you hack it to be left justified.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:03 PM   #313
shawn99
shawn99 began at the beginning.

Is it possible to fix the page breaks or is it referred as carriage return? getting all messed up when you do a reflow of PDF. I'm trying to view a PDF document, when I press the zoom...reflow takes into effect but it screws up because i guess it doesn't word wrap properly like in a txt document.

So you'll get something like this...look below:

This is sample text. This is sample
text.
This is sample text. This is sample tex
t.This is sample text. This is sample te
xt.

Last edited by shawn99; 09-28-2008 at 12:06 PM.
shawn99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 01:22 PM   #314
JeffElkins
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn99 View Post
Is it possible to fix the page breaks or is it referred as carriage return? getting all messed up when you do a reflow of PDF. I'm trying to view a PDF document, when I press the zoom...reflow takes into effect but it screws up because i guess it doesn't word wrap properly like in a txt document.

So you'll get something like this...look below:

This is sample text. This is sample
text.
This is sample text. This is sample tex
t.This is sample text. This is sample te
xt.
Sorry, that's beyond what this program does.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:24 PM   #315
JeffElkins
Guru

Quote:
Did you sort out the wording for the justification in 0.08b? The justification is not right justification it is full justification unless you hack it to be left justified.
Jon, I'm not convinced you're correct here. I think the text says what it does. I welcome feedback from others.