Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-06-2014, 06:49 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Changing fonts issue on Kobo Aura HD/Kobo Glo [PROBLEM SOLVED]

On sideloaded ebooks, I can't change the font away from Georgia on my Kobo Aura HD.

On my Kobo Glo, there's no problem. I can change the fonts to anything I want.

I'm running 3.2.0 on both devices.

Why would one reader allow this, while the other reader will not?

ADDED:
I have no desire to hack the device. I personally don't do that with any of my devices.

Thanks.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-06-2014 at 09:53 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:54 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I'm guessing that these are epubs.

If you're trying to use a sideloaded font on the AuraHD, make sure you have powered the device fully off and on again since loading the font. Otherwise it will just stick with Georgia.

If that isn't it: is the book you're trying this with identical on each device, or is one book forcing a font choice on you?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2014, 08:09 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, I'm using only epubs on my Kobo readers.

And yes, I neglected to say that both devices have the exact same book on them, and the title has been run through calibre.

This is for all my side-loaded books that I tested.

Both devices are fully charged to 100% (I did this yesterday; and, in fact I like to keep my readers charged as a matter of choice.)

I haven't powered off the Aura HD to test your idea, but I'll do that now. (But then, again, I haven't powered off the Glo, either - the one that does not have this issue.)

I don't rely upon additional storage: I no longer like to load up my readers and usually only put about 20-60 ebooks on my devices.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:10 AM   #4
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I'm guessing that these are epubs.

If that isn't it: is the book you're trying this with identical on each device, or is one book forcing a font choice on you?
if the book has font-family definitions in its CSS, then you are forced to read using those. ( that's what I observe on my aura HD)

If the book is DRM protected you are screwed, if not, then you can learn how to edit the epub & remove them.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:13 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
if the book has font-family definitions in its CSS, then you are forced to read using those. ( that's what I observe on my aura HD)

If the book is DRM protected you are screwed, if not, then you can learn how to edit the epub & remove them.

DRM is a non-issue, as I use calibre and the plugins (if I am understanding you correctly).

We cross-posted, so you may wish to see my previous post.

Thanks.
Advert
Old 05-06-2014, 08:48 AM   #6
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK peek at the book css via calibre editor. see if you can see any font families.
NB there is a CSS filter option to zap them in calibre conversions, in preferences, but I prefer to inspect & change manually.

NB look not only for named fonts but innocuous looking lines like font-family: serif;
Old 05-06-2014, 09:12 AM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
OK peek at the book css via calibre editor. see if you can see any font families.
NB there is a CSS filter option to zap them in calibre conversions, in preferences, but I prefer to inspect & change manually.

NB look not only for named fonts but innocuous looking lines like font-family: serif;

I'll check that in a moment. -- Thanks.

But are you saying that, for example, if the css has a font family definition that one cannot change it using the Aura HD, but that one CAN using the Glo - and this is the situation I am in - even though both units are using the same book and the same software version?
Old 05-06-2014, 09:53 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

PROBLEM SOLVED:

A restart solved the problem on the Aura HD. (A restart, however, was not necessary on the Glo.)

Thank you to cybmole and meeera for their assistance.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:06 AM   #9
cybmole
Wizard

glad you sorted it. All I knew to post is what does not work on the Aura HD - I don't have a glo.

PS
line-heights are another fun area, if you want the sliders to over-ride what is in the book.

margins are less troublesome.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:25 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Dr Drib: Do you remember what you were doing on the Aura HD before this happened? Had you been swapping between the fonts? If so, was Gothic or Ryumin one of the fonts?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:05 PM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Dr Drib: Do you remember what you were doing on the Aura HD before this happened? Had you been swapping between the fonts? If so, was Gothic or Ryumin one of the fonts?
I routinely put on and take off ebooks, via calibre.

The thing is that, even though I am happy with Georgia as a font, I sometimes like to experiment and go over to another font. And sometimes, I just like to visually view a different font (rather than read on it), just to perhaps confirm (reaffirm?) my liking of Georgia.

Because of that, I have no idea what ebook (if there was one) that caused this issue.

What is intriguing, however, is that this problem did not surface with the Kobo Glo.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:59 PM   #12
VirgoGirl
"Why is it doing *that*?"
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Kobo Touch & Glo, responsible for 2 PaperWhites
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Hi, sorry to butt in on the thread, but I had a similar issue today and this post caught my eye. I had switched to "Gothic" on on the Glo, then couldn't get it off "Gothic" no matter what I chose. It then proceeded to lag and struggled to go into Sleep mode (and did not display the cover). I never thought of a power off/power on, I went right to paper clip reset. THAT reset ALL my settings (when it hadn't before after a paperclip reset), but luckily I keep a copy of my Kobo ereader.config file so I didn't have to redo everything.

Is there an issue with the "Ryumin" and "Gothic" fonts?
VirgoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:18 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirgoGirl View Post
Hi, sorry to butt in on the thread, but I had a similar issue today and this post caught my eye. I had switched to "Gothic" on on the Glo, then couldn't get it off "Gothic" no matter what I chose. It then proceeded to lag and struggled to go into Sleep mode (and did not display the cover). I never thought of a power off/power on, I went right to paper clip reset. THAT reset ALL my settings (when it hadn't before after a paperclip reset), but luckily I keep a copy of my Kobo ereader.config file so I didn't have to redo everything.

Is there an issue with the "Ryumin" and "Gothic" fonts?
That sounds like what I have seen. There seems to be something going on when switching the fonts and Gothic and possibly Ryumin are used. After a few changes, the font gets stuck. Changing then on the dialog schanges the options and shows the changing font message, but the text doesn't change fonts. Changing to another book doesn't fix it. I need to restart the device to get it working properly.

This has happened enough that I know something is wrong, but not enough to pin it down. I am sure that Gothic has to be one of the fonts, but I am not sure about Ryumin. I'm also not sure how many font changes are needed or if there is an order of changes that causes it. I have reported it to Kobo.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:23 AM   #14
cybmole
Wizard

> Davidfor:
curious:
what's your mechanism for " I have reported it to Kobo" - I have yet to see such an option on their web site ?
Old 05-13-2014, 01:46 AM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
> Davidfor:
curious:
what's your mechanism for " I have reported it to Kobo" - I have yet to see such an option on their web site ?
I could tell you, but then I'd have to ...

I am in the beta firmware testing group. Any bugs I see during the testing get reported. Any bugs I see elsewhere, if I can reproduce them, I also report them.

But, it appears they have fixed this. With the beta I have, I can't reproduce the problem. If it is still happening, it is taking a lot more font changes to cause it than with 3.2.0.