Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-20-2019, 01:05 PM   #106
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphi'Elohim View Post
I have 91 books on mine for about a month now. I did it in batches of 3-5 , with Calibre, then I properly ejected my device with both Calibre and Windows before taking the USB cord out. Actually, to remove it I had to eject it twice, from windows, in the lower right hand corner with usb symbol or whatever. I think the problems people have with it are just plain failing to adapt to the situation properly and computer illiteracy in general. I have Windows 10 , on one computer, and Debian Buster Linux on my laptop , BTW. But the DRM stripping tools are for windows not linux AFAIK.

Anyway, I have 91 books on my Nook, sideloaded, and I have no problem whatsoever with them.
I'm guessing at least the Calibre DRM plugin tools work with Linux. And I'd guess that a lot of the other DRM stripping tools work with Linux.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 02:18 PM   #107
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I have Windows 10 , on one computer, and Debian Buster Linux on my laptop , BTW. But the DRM stripping tools are for windows not linux AFAIK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I'm guessing at least the Calibre DRM plugin tools work with Linux. And I'd guess that a lot of the other DRM stripping tools work with Linux.
I'm pretty sure all of the Calibre related tools work with Linux. However, the B&N, Amazon and Kobo programs that allow you to download the books are Window/Mac only as far as I know.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 02:21 PM   #108
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Anyway, I have 91 books on my Nook, sideloaded, and I have no problem whatsoever with them.
As far as I know, only the Glowlight 3 has problems with sideloaded books. My Glowlight 3 hasn't lost any books I've sideloaded, but it is very slow to repopulate the library after ejecting.

The Plus (2015) runs the same firmware and doesn't have those problems. Hopefully the Plus (2019) won't have them either.
Old 08-20-2019, 03:11 PM   #109
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I'm pretty sure all of the Calibre related tools work with Linux. However, the B&N, Amazon and Kobo programs that allow you to download the books are Window/Mac only as far as I know.
Sure, but there is more than one way to skin a cat? For example, with Amazon, can't you download for transfer with USB (and get the key from a Kindle)? And for Kobo, you can use ADE? I'm not sure about B&N, but I'm guessing you could download to a Nook device, and strip DRM from the ebook on the Nook?

Again, just guessing.
Old 08-20-2019, 03:24 PM   #110
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Sure, but there is more than one way to skin a cat? For example, with Amazon, can't you download for transfer with USB (and get the key from a Kindle)?
Only if you own an eink Kindle (which I don't). Having Kindle for Android (which I do) is no help whatsover in downloading a file which can have its DRM removed successfully.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 03:39 PM   #111
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Only if you own an eink Kindle (which I don't). Having Kindle for Android (which I do) is no help whatsover in downloading a file which can have its DRM removed successfully.
For Android, you can't download the book with the Kindle app, and than strip the DRM from the ebook on the Android device?
Old 08-20-2019, 04:00 PM   #112
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
For Android, you can't download the book with the Kindle app, and than strip the DRM from the ebook on the Android device?
Not that I know of - although I'd be very happy to be proved wrong
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:57 PM   #113
Raphi'Elohim
Banned
Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.

Device: NOOK Glowlight plus 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Exactly, that is what I actually meant for the pedantic here (I posted the original post with sleep deprivation). I find the Calibre stripping tools useless, in Linux, without the kindle app and Adobe Digital Editions etc... being available in Linux and AFAIK they are not supported in WINE.
Raphi'Elohim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:02 PM   #114
Raphi'Elohim
Banned
Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.

Device: NOOK Glowlight plus 2
Quote:
Sure, but there is more than one way to skin a cat? For example, with Amazon, can't you download for transfer with USB (and get the key from a Kindle)? And for Kobo, you can use ADE? I'm not sure about B&N, but I'm guessing you could download to a Nook device, and strip DRM from the ebook on the Nook?

Again, just guessing.
I own a Nook glowlight plus 7.8 I hacked it (rooted it) to get the encryption key off the device to use with apprentice Alf's tools because B&N made it impossible to get the key any longer with their external apps but stripping DRM from B&N would only leave me with one option of a store if I used Linux only. I use linux on a laptop but keep a windows 10 desktop for when I want to strip DRM from the kindle store app and other stores through Adobe Digital Editions etc... none of these work in WINE AFAIK.

Anyway, let me reiterate : if I only stripped DRM from NOOK books then I would be limited to the Barnes and Noble store only if I used Linux exclusively.

Last edited by Raphi'Elohim; 08-20-2019 at 08:05 PM.
Raphi'Elohim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:09 AM   #115
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I own a Nook glowlight plus 7.8 I hacked it (rooted it) to get the encryption key off the device to use with apprentice Alf's tools because B&N made it impossible to get the key any longer with their external apps but stripping DRM from B&N would only leave me with one option of a store if I used Linux only. I use linux on a laptop but keep a windows 10 desktop for when I want to strip DRM from the kindle store app and other stores through Adobe Digital Editions etc... none of these work in WINE AFAIK....
If you want to be pendantic than sure. But if you really want to strip the DRM, it can be done. Buy a used Kindle, buy a cheap windows machine, load an Android dev environment and use an app like Blue Reader (this is a guess).

And I seem to recall posts of people using ADE under WINE, and I believe there is a dedicated thread for it.

Maybe you could find a computer expert, or someone who is computer savvy, or someone with a high PISA score to help you.

Quote:
... Anyway, let me reiterate : if I only stripped DRM from NOOK books then I would be limited to the Barnes and Noble store only if I used Linux exclusively.
I don't see the problem. If you want to limit yourself to B&N books than that is your choice, and as you said above, you can strip the DRM with Linux.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:11 PM   #116
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
If you want to be pendantic than sure. But if you really want to strip the DRM, it can be done. Buy a used Kindle, buy a cheap windows machine, load an Android dev environment and use an app like Blue Reader (this is a guess).

And I seem to recall posts of people using ADE under WINE, and I believe there is a dedicated thread for it.
Alternately, you can get the free(*) version of VMWare's Workstation Player for Linux and use a Windows VM to allow running ADE, etc. in a unreal Windows environment.

*: To quote VMWare's site: The free version is available for non-commercial, personal and home use.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:21 PM   #117
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Exactly, that is what I actually meant for the pedantic here (I posted the original post with sleep deprivation)...
If that was aimed at me, I don't intend to be pedantic. I was answering your post based on my understanding of what was written. My psychic powers failed to tell me about your sleep deprived state
Old 08-22-2019, 02:13 AM   #118
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Anyway, let me reiterate : if I only stripped DRM from NOOK books then I would be limited to the Barnes and Noble store only if I used Linux exclusively.
Just pick up a cheap Kindle on Shop Goodwill, register it to an Amazon account (and to the Calibre de-DRM plugin) then use the "Download via USB" option. Works great in Linux. And once you've registered your Kindle, you never have to use it again (if you don't want to).
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 02:17 AM   #119
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Much simpler than that. Apprentice Alf's plugin works in Linux. You just need an older Kindle that can be registered to Amazon, then either download to the Kindle and read into Calibre or use the USB download to your Kindle option. Once you've got that, everything else works in standard Linux using Calibre.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:14 AM   #120
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Much simpler than that. Apprentice Alf's plugin works in Linux. You just need an older Kindle that can be registered to Amazon, then either download to the Kindle and read into Calibre or use the USB download to your Kindle option. Once you've got that, everything else works in standard Linux using Calibre.
Which was covered in my quoted post (my commas are meant to be ORs, not ANDs), and previous posts.

I believe a computer expert, or someone who reads books like Bill Gates would figure out what I meant.