Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-12-2014, 02:51 AM   #1
desert dog
Zealot
desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2,3 Voyage,Oasis 1&2, Kobo Glohd, Aura hd, Kmini, H2O 1&2
Kobo H2O, still yellow?

I do like my Kobo Aura HD, the increased real estate, unique beveled shape and all the fun ways to customize the reading experience. But when I compare the screen to my other readers, both Kobo and Kindle, I find I am not a fan of the yellow lighting. Strictly a personal preference thing.

I have read all the reviews I could find, studied the UTube videos and saw some pictures here at the Kobo forum. Despite quite a bit of information, I am no closer to answering my question. In some photos and videos the H2O screen appears to be as yellow as the Aura HD, in others it is noticeably more white-blue.

I suspect that my tablet I am viewing everything on is influencing the colors and throwing everything off.

For anyone who has both the H2O and HD, what is your take?
desert dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 02:57 AM   #2
desert dog
Zealot
desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, not sure how this post ended up in the Kindle forum.. my excuse is that it is almost midnight here in Arizona and it's been a long day.

If someone has the knowledge and authority to move this to the Kobo forum, I would appreciate it.

And, now I am going to bed before I break somthing.. :-)
Advert
Old 10-12-2014, 03:00 AM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I suspect they vary, a little. But perception also varies - a lot. It took me only a very short while to get used to having f.lux on my computer, for example. If I do an abrupt transition, the thing looks absurdly pink/orange. With a gradual transition, I don't notice it at all. As I became accustomed, I pushed the temp further - 4500 K for daytime, right down to 2100 K at night. (I don't do colour-sensitive stuff on my computer, obviously! Mainly text-based stuff.) Wikipedia tells me that 4500 is between moonlight and horizon daylight, and 2100 is just a little cooler than a candle flame or sunset.

I'm in favour of less blue lighting - it should be better for sleep.

Last edited by meeera; 10-12-2014 at 03:03 AM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 03:50 AM   #4
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Mines yellow, going back today for a refund, assuming I can convince the retailer it's wrong. I think it's rare though, no one who saw my pictures had one the colour of mine.

I don't have the HD, but I do have an Aura and a PW2
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:38 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the Kobo forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2014, 08:30 AM   #6
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
A yellowish font light color is not normal. It should be white and spread evenly across the screen.
See the photo gallery at allesebook.de
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:32 AM   #7
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
A yellowish font light color is not normal. It should be white and spread evenly across the screen.
See the photo gallery at allesebook.de
Thanks for pointing out the photo gallery. i've bookmarked it for my replacement.

I got my refund without any hassle and have just ordered one for delivery tomorrow
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:57 AM   #8
qfwfq
Enthusiast
qfwfq can differentiate black from dark navy blueqfwfq can differentiate black from dark navy blueqfwfq can differentiate black from dark navy blueqfwfq can differentiate black from dark navy blueqfwfq can differentiate black from dark navy blueqfwfq can differentiate black from dark navy blueqfwfq can differentiate black from dark navy blueqfwfq can differentiate black from dark navy blueqfwfq can differentiate black from dark navy blueqfwfq can differentiate black from dark navy blueqfwfq can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Sony PRS-650; Kobo H2O; Kobo Libra 2; ONYX BOOX Note Air 2 Plus
This is the H2O over a white paper compared with a real book
First pic is sunny second cloudy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kobo-H2O.JPG
Views:	2089
Size:	844.6 KB
ID:	129602   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kobo-paper.JPG
Views:	941
Size:	655.3 KB
ID:	129604  

Last edited by qfwfq; 10-12-2014 at 09:52 AM.
qfwfq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 11:27 AM   #9
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
When you say yellow, is this with the light on or off?

I have used the KPW 1, Aura, KPW 2, and now the Aura H2O. When looking at the screen of my devices with the light OFF, the Aura H2O looks like the KPW 2 screen (they are both carta screens) and both look much better than the KPW 1 and original Aura.

When I look at the devices with the light ON, the LED colour of the Kindles is a "cool" or slightly blue white. The LED colour of the original Aura by contrast was extremely "warm" or yellowish white. The LED colour of the Aura H2O is somewhere between the Kindles and the original Aura - a pleasant, close to neutral white. Historically, I have always really enjoyed the colder blue lighting of the Kindles, but I am really enjoying the light temperature that my Aura H2O uses.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 11:36 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My H2O frontlight definitely has a yellowish tinge compared to my Kindle PW2. Doesn't show up in daylight, but it's very obvious in poor light. I rather like it.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:44 AM   #11
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Mine is nice and white. No yellow. It's just my opinion, but I think anyone with a yellow screen should return it. I certainly would.

I had the HD before selling it, and it did have a yellow tint to it.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 11:47 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nihilism View Post
Mine is nice and white. No yellow. It's just my opinion, but I think anyone with a yellow screen should return it. I certainly would.

I had the HD before selling it, and it did have a yellow tint to it.
It's not the SCREEN that's yellow; it's the frontlight. With the frontlight off (or when it's swamped with natural light), the screen is a neutral grey with no colour.

Why do you believe it's a fault for a frontlight to have a yellow tinge?
Old 10-12-2014, 12:09 PM   #13
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I think there's just going to be slight differences between screens on even the same readers. Between my 2 Glos when lit, the older one has a slight yellowish tint compared to the newer one. But to even notice it enough to be bothered by it, I have to have them side by side, it's not that yellowish on its own. And it also could be a difference caused by the firmware too, that wouldn't surprise me at all since I've seen huge variations in light output between firmwares on the same reader.

The same situation happens with my older Sony 350s without any front light, some screens are noticeably brighter/whiter than others.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 12:37 PM   #14
desert dog
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by slantybard View Post
When you say yellow, is this with the light on or off?

I have used the KPW 1, Aura, KPW 2, and now the Aura H2O. When looking at the screen of my devices with the light OFF, the Aura H2O looks like the KPW 2 screen (they are both carta screens) and both look much better than the KPW 1 and original Aura.

When I look at the devices with the light ON, the LED colour of the Kindles is a "cool" or slightly blue white. The LED colour of the original Aura by contrast was extremely "warm" or yellowish white. The LED colour of the Aura H2O is somewhere between the Kindles and the original Aura - a pleasant, close to neutral white. Historically, I have always really enjoyed the colder blue lighting of the Kindles, but I am really enjoying the light temperature that my Aura H2O es.
It is with the light on.. a definate yellow hue especially noticeable when compared to myKobo glo and any of my Kindle PWs. In the daylight, with the lights turned all the way down, there is no difference of screen color.

I never considered it to be a flaw or malfunction, just thought it was a developer's choice.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:39 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
It is with the light on.. a definate yellow hue especially noticeable when compared to myKobo glo and any of my Kindle PWs. In the daylight, with the lights turned all the way down, there is no difference of screen color.

I never considered it to be a flaw or malfunction, just thought it was a developer's choice.
Yep, that's exactly the way mine is, too (and I share your view that it's not a flaw).