Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-15-2010, 08:04 AM   #1
Dasun
Dasun began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Calibre is very slow when trying to organise an ebook library...

Calibre is a good effort and I like it a lot but has anyone tried renaming authors, titles, deleting books etc. it is so slow it is not funny and I always use the latest version. Currently I am trying to get my 14,000 or so ebooks organised and I think I might be fossilised and mounted in a museum before I finish! I have even taken to working in the folder structure just to speed things up...
Dasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:22 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasun View Post
I have even taken to working in the folder structure just to speed things up...
This is unlikely to help much. If you make ANY changes to filenames at this level you will effectively disconnect those books from the Calibre metadata database.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2010, 08:37 AM   #3
Dasun
Dasun began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Thanks itimpi, but I am aware of that - I was deleting the redundant PDF copies because it is faster and I do not think it is stuffing up any links to the epub versions I want (I could be wrong of course :-)).

Still, I have written large client server applications with much larger record sets and I have never had performance issues like Calibre....

Still, something like
Delete from xyz where author = 'Blah' should be relatively fast even if there are a few table links - assumnig the join fields are indexed
Dasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:05 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
[QUOTE=Dasun;1217307]Thanks itimpi, but I am aware of that - I was deleting the redundant PDF copies because it is faster and I do not think it is stuffing up any links to the epub versions I want (I could be wrong of course :-))./QUOTE]
The problem will be that the database will still show the PDF versions of books to be present. If that does not matter you may well be OK. Also it can be fixed by running the option to check the Database integrity.

Although changing metadata seems to have slowed in recent releases for some reason I have not noticed that deleting books is slow.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote