Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-09-2019, 03:30 AM   #1
zephyrw
zephyrw began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
do not support

When trying to send to device Kobo says no support. But after synching it works although it says again no support. Why?
zephyrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 03:48 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Sorry, are these error messages you are seeing somewhere? If so, where and when? And what are the saying isn't supported? Posting the full text of the messages would help.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:23 AM   #3
zephyrw

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Sorry, are these error messages you are seeing somewhere? If so, where and when? And what are the saying isn't supported? Posting the full text of the messages would help.
Your Kobo is running an updated firmware/database version. As calibre does not know about this updated firmware database editing is disabled to prevent corruption. You can still send books to your Kobo with calibre etc etc.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:38 AM   #4
zephyrw

Ihave send here the text but it vanished. It says I have updated version and calibre does not know it and editing disabled because to prevent corruption.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:44 AM   #5
zephyrw

Quote:
Perhaps this belong sto calibre forum. ? It says no support because new version they do not know. And avoid corruption.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:23 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Honestly, I don't know what else to say other than to read the warning message and act on it. Either try the option mentioned or accept that something won't work until there is an update to calibre to match the firmware on the device.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:58 AM   #7
zephyrw

Quote:
Honestly, I don't know what else to say other than to read the warning message and act on it. Either try the option mentioned or accept that something won't work until there is an update to calibre to match the firmware on the device.
calibre, version 3.42.0
WARNING: Failed: Kobo database version unsupported - See details

Your Kobo is running an updated firmware/database version. As calibre does not know about this updated firmware, database editing is disabled, to prevent corruption. You can still send books to your Kobo with calibre, but deleting books and managing collections is disabled. If you are willing to experiment and know how to reset your Kobo to Factory defaults, you can override this check by right clicking the device icon in calibre and selecting "Configure this device" and then the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option. Doing so may require you to perform a factory reset of your Kobo.
Device database version: 152.
Device firmware version: (4, 14, 12777)
Old 05-09-2019, 02:01 PM   #8
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyrw View Post
you can override this check by right clicking the device icon in calibre and selecting "Configure this device" and then the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option. Doing so may require you to perform a factory reset of your Kobo.
I had a vague memory that I had read somewhere here that selecting the "attempt to support newer firmware" option works so I did that. I haven't had any problems. I didn't need to do a factory reset.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 02:09 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
For Pete's sake. If EVER a firmware is released which breaks calibre with that option selected, a message will be posted in these forums within minutes of the firmware being released
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 04:14 AM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyrw View Post
calibre, version 3.42.0
WARNING: Failed: Kobo database version unsupported - See details

Your Kobo is running an updated firmware/database version. As calibre does not know about this updated firmware, database editing is disabled, to prevent corruption. You can still send books to your Kobo with calibre, but deleting books and managing collections is disabled. If you are willing to experiment and know how to reset your Kobo to Factory defaults, you can override this check by right clicking the device icon in calibre and selecting "Configure this device" and then the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option. Doing so may require you to perform a factory reset of your Kobo.
Device database version: 152.
Device firmware version: (4, 14, 12777)
Yes, that is the message. I know it well as I am the person who is maintaining driver in calibre and have modified the message a couple of times. But, as I said above, what more can I say? The message tells you everything you need to do. You need to either following the instructions in the message or wait for an update to calibre to support the updated firmware. If you don't do anything, you can still send books to the device. That will work with no issues. Calibre won't be able to get the list of books currently on the device, so you will have to work on memory to know what is already there.

And for anyone reading this, the update to support the new firmware version has been checked in. But, Kovid has told me it might be a couple of weeks before the next calibre version is released.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:57 AM   #11
zephyrw

It works after all.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:14 AM   #12
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Out of curiosity... when was the last time the database format changed enough that calibre couldn't deal with it without an update?
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:48 AM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
Out of curiosity... when was the last time the database format changed enough that calibre couldn't deal with it without an update?
It was a long time ago. But, this is a safety thing. How much trouble will there be if the message is removed and a change does happen?
Old 05-10-2019, 12:08 PM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Sod's law says the next time after the message is removed, there will be a kobo FW update and the reader will get bricked (worst case).

How lucky does anyone feel? Last time I moved Thunderbird email database from Win7 to Linux Mint, it worked. This time (earlier this week), it didn't. Fortunately I swapped the laptop HDD to install Linux.

I've had bad luck with Drupal databases.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:58 AM   #15
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
It was a long time ago. But, this is a safety thing. How much trouble will there be if the message is removed and a change does happen?
I wasn't implying you should remove the message.
I was more interested in what "a long time ago" was, but I can't remember time intervals well either.

Actually, I was thinking that it might be a good idea to look for big* schema changes and if seen, ignore the checkbox for all those who just have it permanently checked now, but maybe you already do that?

* for some very special definition of "big"
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
device, no support