Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-09-2022, 04:52 PM   #1
iostrym
Connoisseur
iostrym began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
problem to read comics in epub format (impossible to zoom in)

hello,

I have a problem because library of my city (Paris) is delivering some comics (50% of them approx) in epub format.

my problem is I can't zoom in image of the comics in epub format using windows (adobe digital edition) or android (aldiko).

using my computer is quite not a problem because screen is wide enough to read the comics without using the zoom but it is not confortable to read in front of my computer.

using my android tablet the screen is smaller and I was used to zoom in the comics to read correctly the text of the comics :
one zoom and then I could slide to read the bottom of the comics.

I'm not 100% sure but I have the feeling that zoom using aldiko is possible when format of the comics are PDF.

Is there a solution to be able to zoom in image of the epub ? using another android program for instance ? I found only aldiko to read epub with DRM.

by the way, on android device, I can't use adobe digital edition becase there is an error when opening the .acsm file (E_ACT_NOT_READY)
iostrym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 02:19 AM   #2
iostrym
Connoisseur

Hello no one meet the same problem ?
Advert
Old 01-14-2022, 11:17 AM   #3
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by iostrym View Post
Hello no one meet the same problem ?
To the best of my knowledge, Adobe Digital Editions has NEVER zoomed.

Have you tried another reader, like Azardi?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 12:52 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Convert your ePub to KePub and then you can zoom in.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 01:45 PM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Convert your ePub to KePub and then you can zoom in.
Seriously? Kepub zooms on ADE, is that what you're saying, Jon?

Hitch
Advert
Old 01-14-2022, 01:51 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Seriously? Kepub zooms on ADE, is that what you're saying, Jon?

Hitch
I'm saying KePub supports image zoom in his Kobo.
Old 01-15-2022, 12:59 AM   #7
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
I'm saying KePub supports image zoom in his Kobo.
Oh, after I saw your post, I skimmed his again but didn't see the KOBO. I thought I was losing my mind for a moment there.

Hitch

Last edited by Hitch; 01-15-2022 at 01:00 AM. Reason: ETA: Oh, I see, it's in his profile.
Old 01-15-2022, 11:46 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Oh, after I saw your post, I skimmed his again but didn't see the KOBO. I thought I was losing my mind for a moment there.

Hitch
I didn't say Kobo specifically. But I did look to see that the OP has a Kobo.
Old 01-15-2022, 12:13 PM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
I didn't say Kobo specifically. But I did look to see that the OP has a Kobo.
Wolfie, my sweet curmudgeon:

NO, but you did say Kepub, which by definition, means Kobo, right? So, when you told him/her to make it a kepub, and I hadn't seen any in-thread mention of a Kobo, but you did mention zooming (and he'd gone on about ADE)...well. You know, sometimes I take things too literally. This is what I get for posting pre-caffeination.

I'll take my 20 lashes with a wet ePUB for even getting this far derailed.

Hitch
Old 01-17-2022, 02:52 PM   #10
iostrym
Connoisseur

Thanks for your answers. I'm not using my kobo to read comics. I'm using Android tablet.

And I can't zoom in epub of comics. I can't also convert as they are drm protected epub that are rent from a library.

Is there an application that can zoom in comics epub?
Old 01-17-2022, 03:17 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by iostrym View Post
Thanks for your answers. I'm not using my kobo to read comics. I'm using Android tablet.

And I can't zoom in epub of comics. I can't also convert as they are drm protected epub that are rent from a library.

Is there an application that can zoom in comics epub?
If you are downloading from Overdrive, you could try Libby. If Libby doesn't work, you could try reading from the Overdrive website using your web browser and zooming in that way.
Old 01-17-2022, 03:32 PM   #12
iostrym
Connoisseur

I'm downloading from my library website. It makes me download a .acsm file that is open with aldiko then aldiko can download the corresponding drm (adobe) protected epub or pdf file. I need to configure adobe account in aldiko so that I can read the file.
I will try libby ...
Old 01-17-2022, 03:33 PM   #13
iostrym
Connoisseur

Ok so libby only works with overdrive. So not a good choice. What is the main format to read comics ? Pdf ? Epub ? Am I the only one that can't zoom in epub file ?
Old 01-17-2022, 03:48 PM   #14
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
The ePub format itself doesn't support dynamic zooming, unless you start using JS. Dynamic zooming is at the discretion of the app or device.

Some other formats that comic books use are .cbz or .cbr but you would also be at the mercy of the app/reader to support those formats...and the library would have to provide them in that format.

If the ebook is DRM'd then I would ask the library how to use the book. Good luck with that option...
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 03:56 PM   #15
iostrym
Connoisseur

Thanks but am I the only one to read comics in epub format ? No one use it ?