Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-24-2021, 07:47 PM   #31
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
I would use the library to get big name writers books, but now most of them have changed over to you can only download to a tablet or device and read on app. So I have basically stopped using the library.
So a service other than Overdrive carries the books you are interested in? Which one(s)?

In theory I don’t mind reading on a tablet, but there’s plenty of things from Overdrive that I’m interested in, it’s the only ones I can read with Kindle/Kindle app, so I don’t check the others very often, even though I have access to other services.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 08:13 PM   #32
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Just as an FYI, it won’t change your mind, you can now pass on a book when it becomes available to you and you don’t lose your place in line. One side benefit is that books become available faster than you’d expect . . . .
That does happen.

I've also seen the opposite, where my number in line goes up over time. The library director? Mayor? Police Commissioner? I don't know, but somebody must have clout.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2021, 08:29 PM   #33
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I like not having to finish reading before the library owned ebook expires on my Kindle. Also the library owned ebooks are only available for so many borrows and then the library has to repurchase the ability to provide access to them again. At least once I've gotten on a list of readers waiting to read a given ebook from the library and their access has expired leaving me in the lurch. Why put up with that when I can purchase a given book on my own? And some books are parts of series so by buying them I have instant access any time I want. The Myrtle Clover mystery series by Elizabeth Spann Craig is an example 18 books and more coming in the future (at least one). I don't know if my local library even has her books in eformat to tell the truth.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 11:38 AM   #34
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
So a service other than Overdrive carries the books you are interested in? Which one(s)?

In theory I don’t mind reading on a tablet, but there’s plenty of things from Overdrive that I’m interested in, it’s the only ones I can read with Kindle/Kindle app, so I don’t check the others very often, even though I have access to other services.
There isn't another service, so I simply don't get library books. If a book goes on sale, at a price I'm willing to pay, I buy it. I have tons of books to read, I don't need the few from the library I would get each year.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 11:45 PM   #35
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
There isn't another service, so I simply don't get library books. If a book goes on sale, at a price I'm willing to pay, I buy it. I have tons of books to read, I don't need the few from the library I would get each year.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2021, 04:44 PM   #36
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
I read a mix of library books and books I have bought. I usually have a few going at the same time. I manage my library hold list so that I only have one or two out at a time. My library has an option to push out the date to "rent" it when it comes available. So it's very manageable that way. The vast majority of the books I read are library books, physical or ebook, and the rest are ebooks I've bought, with a pretty hard cap of $2.99. I'm patient and just watch for sales. I'm not fussy about formatting as long as it's not unreadable.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 10:16 AM   #37
aardbewoner
Grumpy
aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: linux computers ,raspberry
Because i can not.The rotten (adobe) drm stuff that is WC only,and i use Linux. So no amazon and all that use drm.
aardbewoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 04:23 PM   #38
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardbewoner View Post
Because i can not.The rotten (adobe) drm stuff that is WC only,and i use Linux. So no amazon and all that use drm.
If your library system uses Overdrive/Libby, then you may be able to use the web version of Libby at https://libbyapp.com/. I don't use it for reading books because I have a Kindle, but I like it for browsing the library and for borrowing and reading magazines when I'm at my computer.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 05:21 PM   #39
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I use Linux. My solution was to get a used Tolino (and later a PocketBook). They have the Adobe ADE built in. So all you have to do is download the .ascm file, move it to the Tolino or PocketBook and it downloads the ePub for you. The PocketBook has a "Send to PocketBook" feature, so you can borrow the book with your computer or smartphone and "Send to Pocket" wirelessly. You can also do it all via the built in browsers in both devices, but eInk browsers are slow (though the Pocketbook is better as it will keep you logged into your library account).
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 05:37 PM   #40
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
From another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Not sure if you are aware of a new calibre plugin but the ACSM input plugin is now available. I've done some limited testing and it worked for ~12 EPUBs and the one PDF I tested. Basically, you can drop the .acsm file into calibre and it will be imported, etc. without needing ADE as an intermediate step.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 06:04 PM   #41
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
There are e-ink ereaders that will allow you to obtain Overdrive library books directly on the reader. I know Tolino and Kobo have this ability.

An android or Apple tablet or smartphone would work with Overdrive library books and with Amazon, Kobo or other stores, if you are ok with reading on one of those (e-ink vs LCD is a very personal choice which has been the subject of many debates on Mobileread....)
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 07:22 PM   #42
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
From another thread:
Originally Posted by DNSB
Quote:
Not sure if you are aware of a new calibre plugin but the ACSM input plugin is now available. I've done some limited testing and it worked for ~12 EPUBs and the one PDF I tested. Basically, you can drop the .acsm file into calibre and it will be imported, etc. without needing ADE as an intermediate step.
Works! Thanks! Now I've got to see if Kindle books still work with the newest plugin. ... And it still works. Finally a real reason to upgrade Calibre.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 04:35 AM   #43
aardbewoner
Grumpy
aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aardbewoner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Q John F No i had no idea,looked it up and its a replacement for ade so you need adobe id, nice to see people work on linux solutions. besides A ALF works on WC. And as i was a victim of the first server shutdown long ago and lost al e-books i pass for anything that need a 3th party to work. Just grumpy me

Last edited by aardbewoner; 10-01-2021 at 04:37 AM.
Old 10-01-2021, 05:32 AM   #44
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
What is WC?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 07:43 AM   #45
aardbewoner
Grumpy

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
What is WC?
Windows Computer as PC is no indication of the OS.