Notices

Old 01-17-2022, 03:16 PM   #721
Fozkas
Connoisseur
Fozkas began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Well, I don't compare my eink readers with my phone or tablets. They're totally different devices for a different purpose. But then I practically never read books on my phone or a tablet.

Do I wish the Sage had better battery life? Of course. Can I live with it as it is? Again, of course. I have neither time nor wish to read for 7-8 hours a day, so the Sage lasts for a few days in my case and that's enough for me.
I get it and don't usually make these kinds of comparisons. They are not fair, but even so it clearly does not bode well for the kobo. I have no issue with reading on lcd and "tab kind of screens" but of course prefer a dedicated device.

That said, being one of the eink arguments the great low (ahah) battery consumption and me taking well advantage of that, it just frustrates me a lot.
Fozkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 07:55 PM   #722
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
I'm not following your logic here, but maybe the fault is on my end. The Oasis 1 was designed to be used with the powercover, as you didn't have to purchase it separately. It was conceived as as a way to offload battery weight so the device itself could be lightweight.

If the Oasis 1 had been released and then a powercover released 6 months later, I would assume the design of the Oasis itself was not done with cover integration in mind.

I don't see why the Sage is different.
It isn't. But, you were the one who claimed that the PowerCover only existed because Kobo had messed up with the battery. You seem to be be suggesting that they designed the Sage, did some testing and then decided to cover their asses by producing the PowerCover.

My thought is that they planned the PowerCover at the beginning. But, because it has space for the Stylus, unlike the SleepCover, it was in recognition of the fact the internal battery would not be enough for heavy Stylus use. Those users need extra battery power and a device dedicated to them, would be significantly heavier. If you look at the Elipsa, it does have a lot more internal battery because it is intended for use with the Stylus. And there were lots of complaints about weight of the Elipsa.

I think the problem is that Sage is using more power than expected. Why, I don't know. Maybe the company that actually designs and builds them, stuffed up. Or lied about the performance. Maybe the developers can't get the code running as efficiently as they want. The hardware is new to them, so they will need to do some things differently. But, it is probably all of this and there are probably other things happening that I haven't thought of.

And to be clear, I know as little about what is going on as you and everyone else here. But, my automatic assumption is not that someone is trying to rip us off. Or that people are complete idiots. And that is what is happening here. The basic assumption is that Kobo is doing this deliberately to doing this to maximise profits. And personally, there is nothing wrong with trying to maximise profits. But, they are more likely to achieve that by producing a device that a lot more people want to buy and then recommend to others. And be waiting for the next product release even if they don't need it. And the Sage doesn't fit this. Everyone is say, "Great device, BUT..." And that "BUT" is very loud. Whereas the "but" for the Libra 2 is barely there.

Having said all that, Kobo probably did skimp a bit on the battery. But, with all the complaints about the weight of the Sage, which started before anyone had even seen one, can you blame them?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 04:32 AM   #723
Fozkas
Connoisseur
Fozkas began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
I could gladly accept the weight if it translated directly to the battery size/duration. Otherwise, there is no justification for the heavy weight.
Fozkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 03:49 AM   #724
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
And it must be able to change its shape between the regular one and the square one, because some of us want the first and others the second.
And we want colour e-ink, except when we don't, at the same high resolution as monochrome.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 05:14 AM   #725
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
I looked at the Sage. I have a Libra Original and also a Mars 7.8" (for my local library and other ebook apps). I decided if I wanted a stylus and PDFs the Elipsa is far better. Yes, it's scary expensive, but otherwise I might have bought a bicycle, video projector, Nintendo Switch (games make books look cheap) or something.

I think either a Libra2 or Forma and/or Elipsa is a better idea than a Sage if you already have a 6" reader and want bigger.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 10:23 AM   #726
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Libra H20, Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I looked at the Sage. I have a Libra Original and also a Mars 7.8" (for my local library and other ebook apps). I decided if I wanted a stylus and PDFs the Elipsa is far better. Yes, it's scary expensive, but otherwise I might have bought a bicycle, video projector, Nintendo Switch (games make books look cheap) or something.

I think either a Libra2 or Forma and/or Elipsa is a better idea than a Sage if you already have a 6" reader and want bigger.
I chose the Sage and the Elipsa since I find the experience of 8" and 10" mean even 7" is too small for me. So I read most books on the Sage, and on the Elipsa most PDFs and some kepubs which don't work well or at all on the Sage. I hardly ever use the stylus on the Elipsa, and it is not why I bought it.
One of the reasons I prefer 8" is that I like proper margins around the text, and decent pitch and interlines (I'm not sure about the English word). I find dense texts like the worst mass market paperbacks unreadable, but that might be due to my old eyes.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 05:22 PM   #727
HknGrss
HknGrss began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Everyone knows that Kobo Sage has bad battery performance.

At first I completely drained the battery 4 times and fully charged it.
The battery died after 4-5 hours of use in the first 2 cycles.
However, after my 4th charge, I can still use it for a maximum of 7-8 hours.
Is this normal? I was hoping it would go up to 10-12 hours after 4-5 charges (even more).

Last edited by HknGrss; 01-20-2022 at 05:24 PM.
HknGrss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 11:32 PM   #728
DaveLessnau
Groupie
DaveLessnau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveLessnau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveLessnau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveLessnau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveLessnau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveLessnau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveLessnau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveLessnau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveLessnau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveLessnau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaveLessnau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
In my Sage testing, I got around 8-1/4 hours of battery life with my Sage set up as close as I could to match my Forma. The Forma gets 12 hours (and I'm not very happy with that). If it had matched the Forma's battery life, I'd probably have kept it. But, at 2/3 the battery life, I sent it back.

Anyway, there's a new Firmware out that, supposedly, increases the Sage's battery life. We'll have to see what others report on that.
DaveLessnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:58 AM   #729
HknGrss
HknGrss began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveLessnau View Post
Anyway, there's a new Firmware out that, supposedly, increases the Sage's battery life. We'll have to see what others report on that.
Has this update been released or will we have to wait? My device seems up to date when I check.
HknGrss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:34 AM   #730
cerem0ny
Evangelist
cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HknGrss View Post
Has this update been released or will we have to wait? My device seems up to date when I check.
I had to sideload mine, my Sage would not update when I syncíd itÖ keen to see how the battery life has improved!
cerem0ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:11 AM   #731
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerem0ny View Post
I had to sideload mine, my Sage would not update when I syncíd itÖ keen to see how the battery life has improved!
You can manually install the new 4.31.19086 firmware.

https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:26 AM   #732
martinot
Swedish Kobo User
martinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
I chose the Sage and the Elipsa since I find the experience of 8" and 10" mean even 7" is too small for me. So I read most books on the Sage, and on the Elipsa most PDFs and some kepubs which don't work well or at all on the Sage. I hardly ever use the stylus on the Elipsa, and it is not why I bought it.
One of the reasons I prefer 8" is that I like proper margins around the text, and decent pitch and interlines (I'm not sure about the English word). I find dense texts like the worst mass market paperbacks unreadable, but that might be due to my old eyes.
I love the 8" screen for reading e-books for these reasons that you mention. That is why going down in size to a Libra 2 is not any option for me (I just got a NOS 8" Forma on sale as backup for my current one, if it fails).
martinot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:30 AM   #733
martinot
Swedish Kobo User
martinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveLessnau View Post
In my Sage testing, I got around 8-1/4 hours of battery life with my Sage set up as close as I could to match my Forma. The Forma gets 12 hours (and I'm not very happy with that). If it had matched the Forma's battery life, I'd probably have kept it. But, at 2/3 the battery life, I sent it back.

Hopefully it will improve the high Sage battery consumption.
martinot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:52 AM   #734
terendel
Enthusiast
terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Oasis 2, iPad Mini
I'm looking forward to the new Firmware and hope it helps. Because wow, I thought my Oasis 3 with a bad battery had terrible battery life. It's fantastic compared to the Sage. That said, I love my Sage and charging it every day isn't the end of the world.
terendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:34 PM   #735
nook_nerd
Connoisseur
nook_nerd solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.nook_nerd solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.nook_nerd solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.nook_nerd solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.nook_nerd solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.nook_nerd solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.nook_nerd solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.nook_nerd solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.nook_nerd solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.nook_nerd solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.nook_nerd solves Fermatís last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kobo_Aura_H2O, Kobo_Aura_One
Just got new Sage and set it up. It appear when I enable the frontlight, it appears very slightly darker on one side of the screen. Have others noticed this?

Last edited by nook_nerd; Yesterday at 09:52 PM.
nook_nerd is offline   Reply With Quote