Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 04-27-2021, 07:20 PM   #61
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBird View Post
I misunderstood that the first three books were declared and not still in the proposal stage.

I started Daniel Deronda last night and will be on board for Don Quixote and anything by Dickens. Ashamed to say I've never read anything by him except A Tale of Two Cities in high school many years ago and why I'd be ready to read it again.
Glad to have you, CharlieBird! You can pace yourself on Daniel Deronda as the official start date to read and discuss is May 15.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
If people were considering some Dickens you could do worse than some of his non-fiction works, that way you might (perhaps) mange to strike on one that less people had already read. I enjoyed American Notes, which given the mixed audience here might generate some interesting conversation, but I also found The Uncommercial Traveller and A Child's History of England to be interesting.
I think this is an excellent idea; I’ve also seen his journalism recommended. I’ve read none of the nonfiction myself.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 09:49 PM   #62
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
I enjoyed American Notes, which given the mixed audience here might generate some interesting conversation,

Ooh, this one sounds interesting. It featured prominently in "Printer's Error" a book I read recently, in chapters about C19 USA's rather different approach to copyright/IP issues then versus now, and how that affected Dickens financially as well as impacting his perception of the US and vice versa.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 09:57 PM   #63
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I like these nonfiction Dickens suggestions especially American Notes.

There are several nonfiction Mark Twain books that have been on my TBR for a long time such as Life on the Mississippi, Roughing It and The Innocents Abroad.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 10:10 PM   #64
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post

There are several nonfiction Mark Twain books that have been on my TBR for a long time such as Life on the Mississippi, Roughing It and The Innocents Abroad.
Whenever I see "nonfiction Mark Twain" I always think of his "it's funny 'cos it's true" piece on the German language
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 11:30 PM   #65
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBird View Post
I misunderstood that the first three books were declared and not still in the proposal stage.

I started Daniel Deronda last night and will be on board for Don Quixote and anything by Dickens. Ashamed to say I've never read anything by him except A Tale of Two Cities in high school many years ago and why I'd be ready to read it again.
Welcome and glad to have you!
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 07:57 AM   #66
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Whenever I see "nonfiction Mark Twain" I always think of his "it's funny 'cos it's true" piece on the German language
I’ve read Life on the Mississippi and The Innocents Abroad fairly recently. Life was wonderful; Innocents was more rollicking good fun and nothing wrong with that.

Uncle Robin’s post reminds me that perhaps my favorite Twain of all is the posthumous collection of essays, Letters from the Earth on topics of religion and morality, which is sidesplitting, at least in my memory. I do think perhaps he’s at his best in this type of essay; the incisesiveness can be hard to sustain over the course of a book and both longer nonfiction works that I mentioned above have their slow spots.
Old 04-28-2021, 10:17 AM   #67
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I've been meaning to read some Chekov. Maybe the Schoolmaster and Schoolmistress? Is that right.
I've also a loan of the daunting 2 volume "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" glaring at men from behind the bed.

I need to prioritise.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 08:58 PM   #68
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:

The same for me. I remember reading A Tramp Abroad a great many years ago, and laughing so much I nearly dropped the book. Suffice to say that he and his friend barely walked anywhere as they kept on getting rides with others.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 01:03 AM   #69
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I suggest H. G. Wells.
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I loved Dickens’ other historical novel Barnaby Rudge
Quote:
Another that fits that description was Hard Times.

...I enjoyed American Notes, which given the mixed audience here might generate some interesting conversation, but I also found The Uncommercial Traveller and A Child's History of England to be interesting.
Quote:
Quote:
...perhaps my favorite Twain of all is the posthumous collection of essays, Letters from the Earth on topics of religion and morality, which is sidesplitting, at least in my memory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
I remember reading A Tramp Abroad a great many years ago, and laughing so much I nearly dropped the book.
I'd pretty much love to read any of these, so all great suggestions.

For Wells, I read the Island of Dr. Moreau for the book club here but haven't read War of the Worlds or The invisible Man, and I think I read parts or most of The Time Machine when I was young but don't remember.

I haven't read any of those Dickens or Twain mentioned. I haven't been so enamoured with the two Twain books I've read (Tom Sawyer and A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court); some of his witty quotes I've read are great but in book form his writing hasn't grabbed me yet (a bit like Oscar Wilde in that regard). Still, I have Huckleberry Finn on my tbr so I'm definitely interested in reading more of him and would love to try his nonfiction; maybe it would suit me better... and even if it doesn't, it might be fun to be a naysaying counterpoint in a discussion.

Last edited by sun surfer; 04-30-2021 at 01:41 PM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 09:53 AM   #70
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
As a southerner, I have a love-hate relationship with Twain. I appreciate his humor. I don't appreciate some of the exaggerated stereotypes he saddled us with that persist to this day.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:56 AM   #71
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Posts related to Daniel Deronda have been moved to the new book discussion thread, here.
Old 08-08-2021, 02:51 PM   #72
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

The Edith Grossman translation of Don Quixote is currently $1.99; price set by HarperCollins so that should be good all over (the US, that is).
Old 08-09-2021, 12:33 AM   #73
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
The Edith Grossman translation of Don Quixote is currently $1.99; price set by HarperCollins so that should be good all over (the US, that is).
It's also $1.99 in Amazon Canada right now.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 09:32 PM   #74
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
$A14.99 down here. :-(
Old 09-06-2021, 10:50 PM   #75
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Sorry - put into the wrong thread.

Last edited by Bookpossum; 09-07-2021 at 03:40 AM.