Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 12-11-2008, 06:45 PM   #1
ladyghost
Enthusiast
ladyghost began at the beginning.

Device: Ebookwise1150
Help with SmartCard

I am using the SmartCard to upload books on my ebookwise

After uploading them to the card and reinserting it
into the device they load and come up fine. Then, the
device says "going to sleep" and cuts off.

When turned back on, it tells me to load my online bookshelf (which
for me does not have enough memory for all of my books)
and refuses to read my smartcard.

I have tried reseting it, reformatting the drive and reseting the device. What
else should I do and what is wrong with it?

This is also the second card that has done this...

Is there an easier way (not using the online bookshelf) that i can put books on my reader? also if the internal memory fills up will they them load onto the card?

ladyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 03:16 PM   #2
derrell
Jack O' Apes
derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Nokia N810, EZ-Reader, HTC Droid Incredible, Archos 70
When a smart card is in the ebw 1150 it replaces the internal book storage memory. That is to say whatever you have stored on the internal memory is still there the reader just doesn't see it. It only looks at the card so the internal memory really isn't a factor when you are using a card.

When you remove your smart card with the ebw 1150 turned off of course turn the reader back on and then off again before inserting the card then power it up again. I've had mine do some strange things a couple of times if I skipped that step, although never what you describe.

For the bookshelf management you might try either impserve available from ashkulz or REB Librarian which is now a free program to download I think.

I use impserve to get my books onto my reader the only time I've used eBookwise's online book shelf was to get the dictionary for the reader.

Hope you can get this sorted, maybe someone else with a little more know how on hardware problems can give you some pointers.
derrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 03:56 PM   #3
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyghost View Post
I have tried reseting it, reformatting the drive and reseting the device. What
else should I do and what is wrong with it?

This is also the second card that has done this...

Try some of the suggestions here to get the SM card properly formatted.

If you still can't see the external card, then either your ebook reader or SM card is malfunctioning. I suspect the latter. Contact ETI (www.ebooktechnologies.com) and ask for warranty support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrell View Post
When a smart card is in the ebw 1150 it replaces the internal book storage memory. That is to say whatever you have stored on the internal memory is still there the reader just doesn't see it. It only looks at the card so the internal memory really isn't a factor when you are using a card.
That's right, you can access either one or the other, not both at the same time.

Quote:
When you remove your smart card with the ebw 1150 turned off of course turn the reader back on and then off again before inserting the card then power it up again. I've had mine do some strange things a couple of times if I skipped that step, although never what you describe.
Great advice! Some believe that the reason this happens (more so with the REB1100 and seldom with the EBW1150) is that the ebook hardware reader "caches" the directory listing and when the SM card is removed, it doesn't "know" of this removal because it is turned off. When you return the SM card to the reader with its contents modified, the reader uses initially (upon power up) its previous "cache" of the directory structure instead of what actually is on the SM card. Obviosuly, the "cache" will get rebuilt eventually as you use the unit (or stored when you power down), but if you, say, delete an ebook as the first operation, it may get confused and delete/write over something important!!!

That is why it's recommended to power up and then power down after the SM card is removed so that the "cache" can be reset! All this is conjecture, but it has never caused me any problems by following this "advice"!

Quote:
For the bookshelf management you might try either impserve available from ashkulz or REB Librarian which is now a free program to download I think.

I use impserve to get my books onto my reader the only time I've used eBookwise's online book shelf was to get the dictionary for the reader.

Hope you can get this sorted, maybe someone else with a little more know how on hardware problems can give you some pointers.
Getting a .imp ebook onto the reader is easy (using the programs/methods you mentioned), but getting it off the reader cannot be done without a SM card reader. Another wall to tear down...

Last edited by nrapallo; 12-12-2008 at 04:00 PM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 12:16 AM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Getting a .imp ebook onto the reader is easy (using the programs/methods you mentioned), but getting it off the reader cannot be done without a SM card reader. Another wall to tear down...

I delete books from the eBookwise all the time without a card reader. I just choose the "delete book" option. What am I missing? Or are you saying, if the IMP is copied to the smartcard but not converted to RES, it can't be deleted without a card reader?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 12:43 AM   #5
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post

I delete books from the eBookwise all the time without a card reader. I just choose the "delete book" option. What am I missing? Or are you saying, if the IMP is copied to the smartcard but not converted to RES, it can't be deleted without a card reader?
Sorry, I meant retrieving the .res folder from the reader's external card or how I said it before "getting it off the reader". With that phrase, I wasn't referring to "deleting" it from the reader.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote