Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-30-2010, 09:54 PM   #1
richardcb
richardcb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, PC, iPhone
Kindle cases and the Kindle 3

Hi all. Total newbie (please be kind!). Am I correct in assuming that the size of the new Kindle 3 will mean it won't fit any of the cases/pouches for the current 6" Kindle? I notice that only Amazon cases are currently shown on the accessories page for the Kindle 3. Are these any good or it is better to wait for 3rd party offerings?
richardcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:12 PM   #2
uclaser
Connoisseur
uclaser began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I'll add another question in. Will the amazon official case still have the "cracking" problem due to the hinge?? Thanks..
uclaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 10:18 PM   #3
matt314159
Groupie
matt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheese

Device: KSO, NookColor (CM7.1), Samsung Mesmerize
I'm personally holding out to see what m-Edge comes up with, myself. Though I'm just as much of a n00b as all y'all, so maybe it would be best to let a veteran give their advice.
matt314159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:23 PM   #4
kathyfitz
Electronics Whore
kathyfitz doesn't litterkathyfitz doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad, iPad mini, iPhone5, Kindle3
The new Kindle is smaller in size than the K2, but I don't know if the hinges are spaced the same. I have used the Amazon case on my K2 and really like the case. I never had any problems with the case cracking. But then I handle my Kindle much like I handled my books - very carefully! (My grandmother was a librarian! )
kathyfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:31 PM   #5
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardcb View Post
Hi all. Total newbie (please be kind!). Am I correct in assuming that the size of the new Kindle 3 will mean it won't fit any of the cases/pouches for the current 6" Kindle? I notice that only Amazon cases are currently shown on the accessories page for the Kindle 3. Are these any good or it is better to wait for 3rd party offerings?
Welcome!

Yes, that is correct. The previous version Amazon (and 3rd) party covers are not made to fit the new Kindle.

I have two of the newer Kindle leather covers (with elastic cord) on both a DXG and K2 and like them very much. Although I have a supply of third party covers, I tend to revert back to the originals as they are sleek and simple. The Amazon case is streamlined, lightweight and made to fit like a glove. The interior is the nicest of any case I have purchased - a very soft-to-the-touch microsuede (sort of) that does not shed, or pill.

There have been many threads discussing the design of the cover and its hinge/hook system. I have had four Kindles and have never had one problem with any of them housed in Amazon's covers. Most difficulties have resulted from improper or careless use of the cover and it has caused a lot of unnecessary hand-wringing, IMHO.

Give it try - you've got 30 days to test it. I have ordered my third one - for the new K3.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 11:51 PM   #6
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
According to the description on Amazon, "The cover is designed to fold back, so you can read comfortably with just one hand."
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:42 PM   #7
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Inique will do some nice cases eventually, the already have cases for the previous Kindles. They do the Tuff Luv cases.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:55 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

As far as damaging the K3 using the case, just be cautious and careful. They case for the KDXG is nice, but if you open the case from the backside and put too much pressure on the hinge clips you might damage the Kindle. However, you have no reason to open the case from the backside. Always open the case from the frontside. If you are concerned that you might accidently open the case from the backside then use a small amount of velcro to stick the back of the Kindle to the inside of the back cover.

Of course this is a brand new Kindle design coming out. So maybe they also redesigned the hinge clips to prevent accidents. It would be pretty simple for them to improve it.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:21 PM   #9
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
the hinges on the K2 cases were indeed a nightmare for many. I personally will wait for whatever Oberon may come out with. m-edge does nice work as well
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:20 PM   #10
Clawdia
Connoisseur
Clawdia is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle (K3, DXG)
The case makers have stated that they have the new Kindles on pre-order and will finalize their designs and begin production runs for new cases for the newest Kindle as soon as they can get their hands on one of the Kindles. I'd expect that initially the Amazon case will be the only one available, but that others will come on the market within a matter of weeks, if not days.

I heard too many horror stories about the hinge system - no hinges for me. I've had a devil of a time finding what feels like the 'perfect' case for my DX Graphite - now have a Noreve on order that I think is going to finally be the right one.
Clawdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:16 PM   #11
Kevin2088
Enthusiast
Kevin2088 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Our company has introduced two accessory lines for Kindle 3.
Please check it out

1 Waterproof cases
Version 1 ( with detachable strap and back padding for bump protection )
WaterGuard Plus Waterproof Case

Version 2 ( light weight and foldable )
WaterGuard Waterproof Case

2. Folio case
TrendyDigital Folio Case for Kindle 3, Black Color

TrendyDigital Folio Case for Kindle 3, World Map

The waterproof case is available for shipment after 1 week. The folio case will be shipped on the week that Amazon ships the new Kindle.

Kevin || www.trendydigital.com
Our Amazon Store
Our Store
Kevin2088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:47 PM   #12
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
That map case is pretty.

I have the Amazon covers for both our household Kindles. I'm quite happy with them. I have had no problem with cracking but I always open my Kindle gently, and if I see that I'm opening the back cover by mistake I turn it around and open it the other way.

I kind of covet that new Amazon case with the built in light, actually. I keep telling myself that I have a headlamp and don't need a light, but...but ....

But if you don't like the Amazon hinges, I'm sure there will be many other cases available.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:33 PM   #13
jer989
Enthusiast
jer989 doesn't litterjer989 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HD
I really like that folio case a lot. In the mean time, I found a cheapie ($10 shipped) case on ebay last week and ordered one. It's made for the B&N Nook, but if you look at the dimensions of both, a Nook is only slightly larger than a K3. I tried it by cutting out a 3/8" thick piece of cardboard (4.8" x 7.5") and tried it in the case - it seems like the actual Kindle should fit pretty well. I just wanted to have at least some sort of case when I got it, until something nicer is available.

(if you're looking for what I mentioned above, search ebay for "nook pouch")

jer989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:44 PM   #14
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
My wife was really looking forward to getting the M-Edge Latitude Jacket in Yellow/Black for her K2, but they discontinued that color combination. After looking at the dimensions, we decided to order the same jacket for the nook since they are still offering the yellow/black combo for that model. It was a very tight fit! But we've both ordered a K3 so she's hoping that it will work with that.

Hopefully this pouch will fit better!
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:53 AM   #15
anathema
Enthusiast
anathema began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
I ordered the new official case with mine. The one with the built in reading light that is powered right off the kindle. Since it has double the batt life of the Kindle 2 that should be a big help
anathema is offline   Reply With Quote