Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-20-2019, 07:13 PM   #1
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
PageEdit-0.7.1 Released

PageEdit-0.7.1

For the impatient, the binary files (and source) can be found as assets at the bottom of the PageEdit Github Release page.

Page Edit is a single page visual XHTML editor based on Sigil's Deprecated BookView. It uses QtWebEngine instead of QtWebKit. It replaces much of what Sigil's BookView could do plus it integrates the QtWebEngine Inspector which allows you to see the result of your visual editing live, and make changes via the Inspector interface itself.

PageEdit-0.7.1 contains minor updates from the initial beta release.

PageEdit can be easily launched from Sigil (any recent version) with its Open-With functionality or set as Sigil's preferred external xhtml editor for fast launch by shortcut or icon.

Please remember that used as an External Editor for Sigil, requires that the user saves the file before exiting PageEdit and before further editing in CodeView to prevent loss of text/code.

The Windows installer for PageEdit is currently a self-extracting zipfile. Double-clicking it will cause it to extract its contents to a folder named PageEdit. Put the PageEdit folder anywhere you like. The PageEdit.exe file can be found in that folder. PageEdit requires that the VC++ 2017 64-bit runtime is installed (but does not include or install it itself). If Sigil-0.9.15 (or higher) is already installed, this will already be taken care of. Otherwise, you're free to download and install the 2017 runtime yourself if you don't use Sigil.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:24 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Nice work!

As I plan on packaging pageedit for Arch Linux, do you want me to add it as an optdepends for Sigil?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2019, 05:29 AM   #3
pippin555
pippin555 began at the beginning.

Device: Android / Windows
Hi, I'm able to run the PageEdit from Sigil, but there is one function missing in PageEdit: how can I find and replace text? That function is still only available in Sigil
pippin555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 05:41 AM   #4
pippin555
pippin555 began at the beginning.

Device: Android / Windows
PageEdit in Sigil

Also I see that you can open multiple PageEdits on the same file, confusing.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-21-2019 at 06:16 AM.
pippin555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 06:17 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
As I plan on packaging pageedit for Arch Linux, do you want me to add it as an optdepends for Sigil?
I think that makes sense, yes.
Advert
Old 07-21-2019, 06:25 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pippin555 View Post
Hi, I'm able to run the PageEdit from Sigil, but there is one function missing in PageEdit: how can I find and replace text? That function is still only available in Sigil
PageEdit is never going to be a complete replacement for Book View. It is intended primarily allow to users to still make edits to text in a wysiwyg environment. There is no Find & Replace functionality in PageEdit. F&R in Book View was always extremely limited in the first place.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:59 PM   #7
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
I think WebEngine does support simple find and replace. If so, I will take a look at implementing that for the next release of PageEdit if at all possible.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 02:52 PM   #8
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
I don't know if it is a bug but when I when to paste some text with format, and the Paste dialog of PageEdit appears, if I select "No" (because I want to paste formated text), it nothing happens. I have to press Ctrl+V to paste text with format.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 03:01 PM   #9
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
I don't know if it is a bug but when I when to paste some text with format, and the Paste dialog of PageEdit appears, if I select "No" (because I want to paste formated text), it nothing happens. I have to press Ctrl+V to paste text with format.
Probably a bug. I will look into it. Pasting from the clipboard always supports mimedata which determines formatting. Pasting plain text should also work.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:22 PM   #10
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Quote:
Okay, I just tested this on my macOS release build and it seems to work just as it should.

I bolded a short piece of text and copied it to the clipboard. When I use the menu or the icon, both asked me if I wanted to paste this as plain text. If I choose yes, I got the unbolded version on the clipboard inserted. If I click no, I get the bolded version.

So this appears to work just fine in PageEdit in macOS.

What platform are you using? If linux, which version of Qt are you using?

In fact the only code path that does not result in a paste is if you hit cancel instead of yes or no. So something is strange.

Last edited by KevinH; 07-21-2019 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:44 PM   #11
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
What platform are you using? If linux, which version of Qt are you using?
Hi Kevin;

Thanks for the quick answer; I'm working with Windows 7 Ultimate x64. I did again the try and nothing happens after pressing the button "NO". After copying text from a web page, if I want to paste that text with format, I have to press Ctrl+V; with the dialog I can't do anything.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:11 PM   #12
KevinH
Sigil Developer

That must be a Windows specific bug of some sort. The code we have there now is correct. We will look into what is going on. Glad you found a workaround.

Quote:
Hi Kevin;

Thanks for the quick answer; I'm working with Windows 7 Ultimate x64. I did again the try and nothing happens after pressing the button "NO". After copying text from a web page, if I want to paste that text with format, I have to press Ctrl+V; with the dialog I can't do anything.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:57 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

The copy formatted/plain-text dialog seems to be working as it should (triggered via the PageEdit menu or via the icon) for me on Windows 10. Both the Yes and the No options paste what they're supposed to. Do you have any clipboard-diddling software running?

I'll fire up a Window 7 VM and see if that makes any difference.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:13 PM   #14
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The copy formatted/plain-text dialog seems to be working as it should (triggered via the PageEdit menu or via the icon) for me on Windows 10. Both the Yes and the No options paste what they're supposed to.

Do you have any clipboard-diddling software running?
Not at all, just Sigil and the web browser (Chrome). Fortunatelly, I can paste the formated text with Ctrl+V but nor the dialog nor the "Paste" icon work for me.

EDIT: I don't know if they will be linked, but after pasting the formated text, the web inspector doesn't show anything, just the same code of a blank page. I tell you what I'm doing: I add a blank html file, after that I edit that blank file with PageEdit to paste formated text, and nothing happens with the dialog or the icon. And after pasting the formated text, the web inspector still is showing the same code for the blank page.

EDIT2: I found the cause. Before invoqueing the Paste dialog, I must click first in the GUI. After doing that, the dialog works as expected. Curiositly, the Crtl+V shortcut, works even without doing click first in the GUI.

EDIT3: The web inspector works fine; the problem was what the pasted text.

Last edited by RbnJrg; 07-21-2019 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:28 PM   #15
KevinH
Sigil Developer

What happens if instead of pasting in an empty html file you use "open" on PageEdit to open a template html file you create using a separate text editor.

For example, fire up Sigil in Codeview and copy the contents of the empty html file and use a different text editor and paste to create a template empty html file and save it.

Then use PageEdit to open that file. Then try using paste and the web inspector.

PageEdit open to nothing (not an empty html file) and so ai am not sure what you are pasting into until you use open.

It is that way as it was designed to work with Sigil's open with.

Kevin

Quote:
Not at all, just Sigil and the web browser (Chrome). Fortunatelly, I can paste the formated text with Ctrl+V but nor the dialog nor the "Paste" icon work for me.

EDIT: I don't know if they will be linked, but after pasting the formated text, the web inspector doesn't show anything, just the same code of a blank page. I tell you what I'm doing: I add a blank html file, after that I edit that blank file with PageEdit to paste formated text, and nothing happens with the dialog or the icon. And after pasting the formated text, the web inspector still is showing the same code for the blank page.