Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-12-2019, 10:20 PM   #46
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Depends. How good are you at editing c++ and compiling it on Windows?
If I remember correctly, roger64 is an Arch Linux user who compiles sigil from git via my Arch User Repository package. So the question becomes instead:

Quote:
Sigil 0.9.14 will mark the last version that uses QtWebKit, and will be the last version to support editing in BookView. More here.
Is the proposed PageEdit something I should be packaging for my Linux distro too? How is it intended to be distributed -- as a plugin? If so, will it be able to pick up the binary from $PATH?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:55 PM   #47
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
PageEdit is not a plugin. PageEdit is a simple standalone application the uses QtWebEngine. Once our engine branch replaces master, we would expect Sigil users to use "open with" to launch it with an xhtml page to do much of what BookView mode once did.

Interestingly, PageEdit might be useful to some calibre users and for some simple web development.

We are still working on both to reduce the minimum requirement from Qt 5.12.x to Qt 5.9.x (primarily dealing with the web-inspector internal api which was introduced in Qt 5.11.x.) Also neither the engine branch nor PageEdit has complete translations yet as we only use one base.ts resource on Transifex at a time.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

BTW, PageEdit uses cmake too and should probably build out of the box on any system that supports building Sigil and uses Qt 5.12.x like Arch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
If I remember correctly, roger64 is an Arch Linux user who compiles sigil from git via my Arch User Repository package. So the question becomes instead:

Is the proposed PageEdit something I should be packaging for my Linux distro too? How is it intended to be distributed -- as a plugin? If so, will it be able to pick up the binary from $PATH?
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2019, 02:13 AM   #48
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Is the proposed PageEdit something I should be packaging for my Linux distro too?
As KevinH has already mentioned, Sigil 0.9.15 won't depend on PageEdit, but many users of older versions will probably want to install it to replicate the functionality of the Book View window.

You have two options:

a) Make a command decision and declare PageEdit a required dependency, even though it isn't strictly required. (The time it takes to build PageEdit is negligible.)
b) Make PageEdit an optional Sigil package and create a separate package for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
BTW, PageEdit uses cmake too and should probably build out of the box on any system that supports building Sigil and uses Qt 5.12.x like Arch.
It built out of the box on my Arch Linux machine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pageedit.png
Views:	333
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	171881  

Last edited by Doitsu; 06-13-2019 at 02:36 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:15 AM   #49
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
If you're going to package it, I'd probably make it, and Sigil, an optdepends of each other (or at least make PageEdit an optdepends of Sigil). Beyond that, it's already pretty-well set up as a standard make/make insta!l cmake project.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:30 AM   #50
Mister L
Groupie
Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Sony 350
Thanks to the Sigil team for this new version.

Question, I noticed already on 9.13 that it's no longer possible to re-order open tabs by dragging them; is this deliberate? If it's not deliberate, is it possible to put it back in future versions? I use this often to keep my css tab next to the current active xhtml tab whilst still having (an)other xhtml tab(s) open for reference / final editing / etc., or for easily comparing 2 xhtml tabs, or 2 css files before deleting one, or other cases.

If there's something in the new code that prevents it, I'll just have to get used to it, but if it can be restored it really can be useful sometimes.
Mister L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2019, 09:53 AM   #51
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister L View Post
Thanks to the Sigil team for this new version.

Question, I noticed already on 9.13 that it's no longer possible to re-order open tabs by dragging them; is this deliberate? If it's not deliberate, is it possible to put it back in future versions? I use this often to keep my css tab next to the current active xhtml tab whilst still having (an)other xhtml tab(s) open for reference / final editing / etc., or for easily comparing 2 xhtml tabs, or 2 css files before deleting one, or other cases.

If there's something in the new code that prevents it, I'll just have to get used to it, but if it can be restored it really can be useful sometimes.
It was a deliberate decision. Reordering tabs with this version (and others) of Qt can occasionally result in crashes. We thought it best to prevent crashes by default.

The good news is that if you really want the feature, and you're willing to take the risk, we've included an option to override this behavior by manually creating an environment variable. The bad news is that I can't remember exactly what the variable name is offhand (having this stuff in a wiki or something would be handy, huh @BetterRed ).

I'll look up the particulars and get back to you.

EDIT: the environment variable name is SIGIL_ALLOW_TAB_MOVEMENT
Create the variable and give it any value you want (1, True, whatever). It only needs to be set to work.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-13-2019 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:32 AM   #52
Mister L
Groupie
Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Sony 350
Quote:
It was a deliberate decision. Reordering tabs with this version (and others) of Qt can occasionally result in crashes. We thought it best to prevent crashes by default.

The good news is that if you really want the feature, and you're willing to take the risk, we've included an option to override this behavior by manually creating an environment variable. The bad news is that I can't remember exactly what the variable name is offhand (having this stuff in a wiki or something would be handy, huh @BetterRed ).

I'll look up the particulars and get back to you.

Create the variable and give it an value you want (1, True, whatever). It only needs to be set to work.
Thanks very much for the information and explanation. I like this feature, but if it might cause crashes, I think I'll just learn to live without it. Thanks again for all the hard work.
Mister L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:58 AM   #53
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Make it SIGIL_ALLOW_TAB_MOVEMENT_AND_CRASHES so they'll know.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:04 AM   #54
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In order to cause the tab movement crash, you really need to almost flick the tab or drag the tab back and forth quickly and repeatedly. An occasional normal speed drag and drop of the tab should be reasonably safe if it is enabled.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:11 PM   #55
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I added the 32-bit Windows installer to the release just now.
Do please give us some advance warning before the 32-bit installer bites the dust. This will require a major change in my life!
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:30 PM   #56
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
Do please give us some advance warning before the 32-bit installer bites the dust.
I was thinking I already had.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=320663

https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/Sigil...to-qtwebengine

If not ... consider yourself officially warned.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:54 PM   #57
najgori
Klak
najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

is there a date for .9.15 beta? for sure would like to check it... more than pageedit... thanx
najgori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 04:00 PM   #58
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Soonish (2 weeks or so) but we need to work on getting it to build under Qt 5.9.x so that it can be used on Linux distributions that do not use the very latest Qt 5.12.x.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:33 PM   #59
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
@Doitsu, @DiapDealer -- I can tell that PageEdit is not directly integrated with Sigil as of now (and I have built it from a git checkout and played around with using it), so it would seem more like multiple independent tools that *happen* to be things where people who use one probably want the other as well -- but the same thing might be said of Sigil and calibre.

Principally what I was wondering was whether any closer integration was planned. For example, an analogy could be brought to the FlightCrew plugin (which bundles a heavy binary in the distributable, rather than attempting to find one on the system before e.g. downloading it from github and checking the hash).

If not, then I guess my current plan is just to package it up as "another useful application". I could be convinced to add it as an optdepends of Sigil...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 04:48 PM   #60
KevinH
Sigil Developer

The only integration now is the PageEdit knows how to insert sigil split markers into the text. It could easily be used to do something similar if calibre uses split markers. Sigil users may set it to be used with open-with. Sigil may in the future add an action to have F2 (or whatever the user selects) launch a preferred external xhtml editor set by preferences.

Other than that they are independent.