Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #91
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersott View Post
How can I override Palatino?, which family I must override with kual?, Serif?, Sans?, Mono?...

Thanks in advanced ;-)
This is probably not the right way, but it's how I did it. To start, you should have font override tested and working by overriding condensed. Only then should you try this.

0/ Go to linkfonts/etc on your kindle
1/ rename fc-override-serif.tpl to fc-override-serif.tpl.save because you are going to overwrite it
2/ open fc-override.tpl with a unix line ending aware editor. That means if you are on Windows, don't use notepad.

Change

%TO_OVERRIDE%

to

Palatino.

3/ Save AS fc-override-serif.tpl
4/ kual > font overrides > serif > custom > your font.
5/ cross your fingers and restart framework.

Proceed at your own peril
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:58 PM   #92
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Better: Start with fc-override.tpl, tweak it appropriately (should be obvious enough, TO_OVERRIDE = Original family, TO_USE = Custom family), and save it to linkfonts/etc/conf.d/98-override-stuff.conf
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #93
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Thanks!, but now I´m an afraid man

I think that I´ll let rest my Pw2 next few days, and then I try to install the new fonts with your method.

Now I overrode Caecilia condensed and Caecilia, and works fine, enough for now.

ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #94
mabelsound
mabelsound began at the beginning.

Device: non
Quick troubleshooting question--I installed the jailbreak, KUAL, Python, and the fonts hack...but there is no "Font Hack Behavior" button under "Fonts" in KUAL. This is on a PW2 of course. Any pointers?
mabelsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:20 PM   #95
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@mabelsound: You're probably using the stable KUAL version. Switch to a snapshot.
Advert
Old 12-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #96
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
I just wanted to note that I'm also getting the USBMS reboots. I'm pretty sure it didn't start happening until I overrode Baskerville and Palatino, although I am not completely certain. As mentioned before by Barty, a reset fixed the problem.

It also seemed to break the font cache (I'm not sure if this was because of what triggered the reboot, or if the act of rebooting damaged it) -- I had to update this again before one of the custom fonts would display correctly.
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:43 PM   #97
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@7hir7een: And you're *NOT* using an FT override?

(Depending on if the device was actually busy before the reboot, the font cache getting corrupted makes some sense. I only got a dirty FS the one time I managed to reproduce this, but the device was mostly idle).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 12-09-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:51 PM   #98
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

I have the force-bci.conf in my conf.d folder. I can't remember if this was there by default, but the file keeps appearing after I delete it, so it might have been? Sorry about that. Yes, I was using the bci override.

It was there before today with only the Condensed font override and I hadn't had the reboot problem. Not that it might not have happened eventually, but it seems like the changes I made today (overriding Palatino and Baskerville) triggered it to start happening to me.

ETA: Interestingly, every time a reboot is triggered, the same issue is occurring with the same font after the kindle reboots. The font I currently have overriding Palatino will not work until I rebuild the cache. I was using this font without issue when it was overriding the Condensed font, so I don't think it is an issue with the font itself.

Last edited by 7hir7een; 12-09-2013 at 05:38 PM. Reason: crossed through brain absentness
Old 12-09-2013, 04:57 PM   #99
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@7hir7een: Hmm. That's more data, so that's always good, I'll see if I can figure this out.

(FWIW, I'm not overriding Palatino or Baskerville, and I did manage to trigger this once. I am override Caecilia, though).
Old 12-09-2013, 05:05 PM   #100
7hir7een
Reader of Books

I edited my post above with some more info. Is the force-bci.conf auto-generated? I couldn't remember. I know I had played around with the ft override files you provided but went back to that one.

I can't seem to get rid of the file. It shows up again when I restart the kindle.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #101
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@7hir7een: Huh, that's interesting, and might be a good lead...

Yeah, force-bci is auto-applied at boot by the BCI override .
Old 12-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #102
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
I've also had the reboots. Just now plugged into computer, had book open to a page and was using override of condensed font did nothing else. Reboot in 60 seconds. Left plugged in and eventually (after showing up as a drive again once or twice, showed the repair screen.

Unplugged, rebooted with button, plugged in to computer again with kindle on home screen, left over 2 minutes doing nothing and no reboot.

I'm pretty sure these reboots didn't start until I did a font override, but am not positive. Override is still active after the reboot and font folder seems to be intact. Have screensaver hack and font hack active.

After the second try and leaving the cable attached, I did a safely remove and although the drive disappeared from Windows Explorer, the screen on the kindle stayed on usb drive mode.

Now did a third try with a book open (same book, same font override). Reboot was in about 30 seconds. Unplugged right away and no repair screen after reboot.

Fourth try: Plugged in with kindle on home screen. No reboot after several minutes.

Could that be part of the problem--having a book open using the font override?
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #103
7hir7een
Reader of Books

Okay, sorry for the brain hiccup (finals week is rough ). I removed the bci override and did not get the issue within a couple minutes as before with it in place. It appears as if that may have fixed the reboot issue for me. I'll edit back if it randomly restarts leaving it plugged in for a while longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscris View Post
Could that be part of the problem--having a book open using the font override?
You might be on to something. I believe I did have either a book or KUAL open when the reboots were occurring.

ETA: Okay, after removing the bci override, I can no longer seem to replicate the rebooting issue. It did not occur whether the kindle was plugged in on the home screen, a book, or KUAL.

Last edited by 7hir7een; 12-09-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:59 PM   #104
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@jscris: Nope, happened on the home screen on my end. Might still be a factor, though, given the fact that mesquite is used in multiple parts of the UI.

Just to confirm, are you using an FT override or no?
Old 12-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #105
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
Yes, but I've played with them and am not sure which one. Changed it to BCI for now, but that was after the four tests. Could possibly have been on BCI before.
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fontconfig, fonts, freetype, hacks, paperwhite, touch