Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-06-2009, 12:24 PM   #1
peterfrank
peterfrank began at the beginning.

Device: eslick
Post Buying Eslick or sony 505

Hi everyone, i'm new to this forum,

I have some doubts in relation to the Eslick and Sony 505.

I intend to buy my first ebook reader soon...since there are only acceptable prices for 6'' e-ink screens i will go most likely for the eslick or sony 505.

What i really want is to be able to read well in landscape mode(with the white margins cropped) - and since most of my documents and books are in .pdf - Eslick seems to have the edge over the Sony 505.

I never had an ebook reader in my hand (they are not available in my country - Portugal) i find them very small - but i suppose if i use landscape mode it would be like reading from the pages of a paperback? Right?

I hope Eslick reader would allow me to read A4 magazine .pdf documents(like PcMagazine) with no problems...something that the prs 505 seems to incapable of doing...i'm i right in this?

I would be nce to beable to see a picture of an open paperback near the landscape mode of a 6'' ebook reader.

The Sony 700 is out my buying of intentions because the is not enough contrast in the screen - which is a shame...since it supports .pfd's better than the 505.

Any comments would be wecome...thank you.
peterfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 03:51 PM   #2
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterfrank View Post
I hope Eslick reader would allow me to read A4 magazine .pdf documents(like PcMagazine) with no problems...something that the prs 505 seems to incapable of doing...i'm i right in this?
I would be nce to beable to see a picture of an open paperback near the landscape mode of a 6'' ebook reader.
Any comments would be wecome...thank you.
You'll be disappointed, I'm afraid. I do not know the Sony, and the Eslick still has to come out, but as afar as I know, the both carry the same screen, which is a 800x600 pixel 6 inches black and white screen.
Being PcMagazine and the like of them colour magazine, it is doubtful that you will be able to see very good pictures. It shall depend on the picture of course.
These devices are basically size A5, slightly smaller, and also in landscape mode are not very good in handling A4-like files such as the magazine you mentioned. Not to mention being sort of unwieldy in landscape mode.
I personally own the Booken, which is nice. I will not tell you it is the best, but it fits my needs. The Eslick, from the pictures we have is basically the same machine, maybe with a better contrasted screen if you believe in the advertising, as it has not come out yet.
Sony is said to handle pdf very well, but if I remember it shall have to reflow the document to fit in the screen, maybe also in landscape mode, which means moving things around.

I think you'd be better off with an Irex Digital Reader, but that will cost you very very dear. It' almost a status symbol, a device which you buy to demonstrate you can afford it. But it is A4, and should handle better colour images.

The best option could actually be to go for a NetBook. They have a similar cost. Granted they do not last as long, and have other pro and cons. But they have colour screens, and I believe you shall be able to read from them as well.

If you are also interested in books, then it is another totally different kettle of fish.
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2009, 10:22 AM   #3
Tectonic
Tech Lust
Tectonic began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700, HP iPaq 210
the Eslick uses Foxit to view pdfs which is much better than what Sony uses on the 505 and 700. Also to note is that the Eslick has a 400mhz processor vs. the 505 200mhz.

I've used Foxit's software on different desktop and mobile platforms. In each version, it is faster and better than the Adobe counterparts.

The Eslick is sold out and orders are shipping in April. Since you can't get one now anyways you may want to wait and see what people have to say about them once they arrive.

Finally if money is not an issue then the Irex Digital Reader is indeed an even better choice.
Tectonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:50 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tectonic View Post
The Eslick is sold out and orders are shipping in April.
My understanding is that it hasn't even been release yet. So, rather than being "sold out" they are taking pre-orders.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:13 AM   #5
Tectonic
Tech Lust
Tectonic began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700, HP iPaq 210
According to their website, it is not possible to pre-order anymore. All of those have sold out. They are getting more in April.
Tectonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2009, 11:26 AM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tectonic View Post
According to their website, it is not possible to pre-order anymore. All of those have sold out. They are getting more in April.
Ah my apologies. I wasn't aware the the "pre-orders" had sold out.

Did they ship any of those yet? Anyone got one? I haven't seen any reviews.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eslick landscape 505 .pdf