Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-04-2019, 01:58 PM   #121
brent63
Zealot
brent63 began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tab E nook
As I stated in my last post I uninstalled 9.11, checked to make sure there were no file left in my Programs folder, deleted all user files and started with a fresh clean install of 9.12.

It worked okay for a day or so before I started getting the same issues again with halting and slow paging up and down in either Code or Book view. The cursor that does not show, the large black holes before hint boxes appear.

I do not have the tech savvy to figure out what is wrong going on, but I do know I can't use release 9.12.

I have again done a complete uninstall and removal of 9.12 and reinstalled 9.11.

I know the code people say there's only a single line of code difference between 9.11 and 9.12 but it's wrecking havik on my production.

Not sure if I can be of any more help, I will continue to watch this page and look forward to the next release.

Brent
brent63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 02:47 PM   #122
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent63 View Post
As I stated in my last post I uninstalled 9.11, checked to make sure there were no file left in my Programs folder, deleted all user files and started with a fresh clean install of 9.12.

It worked okay for a day or so before I started getting the same issues again with halting and slow paging up and down in either Code or Book view. The cursor that does not show, the large black holes before hint boxes appear.

I do not have the tech savvy to figure out what is wrong going on, but I do know I can't use release 9.12.

I have again done a complete uninstall and removal of 9.12 and reinstalled 9.11.

I know the code people say there's only a single line of code difference between 9.11 and 9.12 but it's wrecking havik on my production.

Not sure if I can be of any more help, I will continue to watch this page and look forward to the next release.

Brent
You can be of a lot more help. As soon as Sigil starts behaving badly in the manner described, please zip up your ini files in the preferences folder and post them so we can look at them. No one has yet complied with our request to post their ini files when a clean install of Sigil 0.9.12 starts badly misbehaving.

And yes ... it is pointless for you to revert to Sigil 0.9.11. If 0.9.12 gives you trouble, then 0.9.11 will eventually, too.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-04-2019 at 02:50 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2019, 03:21 PM   #123
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
As soon as Sigil starts behaving badly in the manner described, please zip up your ini files in the preferences folder and post them so we can look at them.
In case someone needs it:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	170007

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 03:50 PM   #124
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
In case someone needs it:

Attachment 170007

BR
Thanks!
Old 03-04-2019, 07:04 PM   #125
brent63
Zealot

If what you say is true I will post them.

Brent
Advert
Old 03-04-2019, 07:29 PM   #126
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

It would be most appreciated.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:52 PM   #127
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Here are my .ini files when memory usage was 10,000+ mb and Sigil was taking a long time to respond. Attachment 170010

Last edited by icallaci; 05-24-2020 at 01:04 PM.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:04 PM   #128
brent63
Zealot

I just reopened my file and found &nbsp repeated hundreds of times at the end of some of my sentences. (see attached image)

This has not slowed down the performance of my computer, but make my creates odd spacing of sentences.

I had to zip the ini files as they would not post in their original format.

Brent
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Issue 1.png
Views:	107
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	170011  
Attached Files
File Type: zip sigil_searches.zip (9.7 KB, 72 views)
Old 03-04-2019, 10:52 PM   #129
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Yes, those repeated entities are from a broken xml lib that constantly duplicates all enties each time the file is loaded into CodeView or BookView.

That incorrect libxml was part of an old installer. See this post from earlier in this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...1&postcount=10

I know DiapDealer fixed the libxml that was part of Sigil 0.9.12 installer for Windows but I do not know if he also fixed the libxml in the Sigil 0.9.11 release.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:57 PM   #130
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
I checked you ini files you posted and everything looks good there (there is no corruption that I can see in any of your ini files. I think the only issue is the broken libxml. The latest Sigil 0.9.12 release installer has a good one.

DiapDealer, do the latest Sigil 0.9.11 release installers for Windows have the good version of libxml orthe broken one?
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 12:34 AM   #131
brent63
Zealot

Okay, so should I install 9.12 over top of 9.11 as I have usually done or should I uninstall 9.11 first.

Should I delete my AppData folder as well?

Brent
Old 03-05-2019, 01:44 AM   #132
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Kevin & DiapDealer- devil's advocate post.

Do you know if the Windows 09.12.0 performance problems occur with both the 32bit and 64 bit installs? Do you know how many of each have been downloaded? Have any of the people experiencing problems tried running Sigil in Safe Mode

Unless someone posts an .ini file that Kevin and/or Doug say is broken I'm not convinced conversion of .ini files to UTF 8 is the underlying cause. My money's on a third party program interfering with Sigil, such as a shell extension.

Kevin might recall a long time back I was trying to inject videos into epubs and Sigil was dying. My neurons tell me it was dying in much the same way as is being reported for 0.9.12 now - running slowly with extended Not Responding waits.

The culprit was a specific feature (context menu tweaks) of a Swiss Army shell extension suite I was running at the time. I had been running it for years without any problems in other programs. It had several 'irreplaceable' features, which I couldn't live with out. So, we gave up on embedding video in EPUBs and switched to a game development framework - which was a much more suitable tool for the task at hand anyway.

I no longer run that shell extension suite - it had already been abandoned when I had the Sigil problems. I replaced it with a couple of other shell extensions that have active developers.

Windows shell extensions can scribble where they shouldn't but you'll never know if they scribble in non critical space - I recall Kovid opining on this 'feature' of Windows, might even be in one of his FAQs.

Which is why I ask: Has anyone experiencing performance problems with Sigil version 0.9.12 on Windows tried running it in Safe Mode.

Or better yet running it after disabling everything possible/sensible with Piriform's CCleaner. I've seen 3rd party programs running in Safe Mode that IMO should have been excluded, hence I prefer the CCleaner method. And I prefer it because I can selectively enable/disable startup tasks and shell extensions from one place. Task Manager can do similar for startup tasks, but not shell extensions, and you need to use multiple Nirsoft tools to do the same thing.

BR

Aside: I see I am using the 32 bit version of Sigil - and I can't explain why - any suggestions?

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-05-2019 at 01:49 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 06:39 AM   #133
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Sorry, haven't responded earlier...been working 2 full time jobs waiting for my replacement...

Here are my ini files.

I'm running Sigil 64 on Windows 10.
Attached Files
File Type: zip sigil.zip (11.3 KB, 88 views)
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 07:13 AM   #134
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I checked you ini files you posted and everything looks good there (there is no corruption that I can see in any of your ini files. I think the only issue is the broken libxml. The latest Sigil 0.9.12 release installer has a good one.

DiapDealer, do the latest Sigil 0.9.11 release installers for Windows have the good version of libxml orthe broken one?
Sigil 0.9.11 has the broken libxml2 (as well as the broken python css reformatter). That's why I stuck the very large warning against its use at the top of 0.9.11's release page on Github. I suppose we should delete that Release entirely so people don't download it.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:17 AM   #135
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@Kevin & DiapDealer- devil's advocate post.

Do you know if the Windows 09.12.0 performance problems occur with both the 32bit and 64 bit installs? Do you know how many of each have been downloaded? Have any of the people experiencing problems tried running Sigil in Safe Mode

Unless someone posts an .ini file that Kevin and/or Doug say is broken I'm not convinced conversion of .ini files to UTF 8 is the underlying cause. My money's on a third party program interfering with Sigil, such as a shell extension.

Kevin might recall a long time back I was trying to inject videos into epubs and Sigil was dying. My neurons tell me it was dying in much the same way as is being reported for 0.9.12 now - running slowly with extended Not Responding waits.

The culprit was a specific feature (context menu tweaks) of a Swiss Army shell extension suite I was running at the time. I had been running it for years without any problems in other programs. It had several 'irreplaceable' features, which I couldn't live with out. So, we gave up on embedding video in EPUBs and switched to a game development framework - which was a much more suitable tool for the task at hand anyway.

I no longer run that shell extension suite - it had already been abandoned when I had the Sigil problems. I replaced it with a couple of other shell extensions that have active developers.

Windows shell extensions can scribble where they shouldn't but you'll never know if they scribble in non critical space - I recall Kovid opining on this 'feature' of Windows, might even be in one of his FAQs.

Which is why I ask: Has anyone experiencing performance problems with Sigil version 0.9.12 on Windows tried running it in Safe Mode.

Or better yet running it after disabling everything possible/sensible with Piriform's CCleaner. I've seen 3rd party programs running in Safe Mode that IMO should have been excluded, hence I prefer the CCleaner method. And I prefer it because I can selectively enable/disable startup tasks and shell extensions from one place. Task Manager can do similar for startup tasks, but not shell extensions, and you need to use multiple Nirsoft tools to do the same thing.

BR

Aside: I see I am using the 32 bit version of Sigil - and I can't explain why - any suggestions?
I've not ruled out 3rd-party shell-extension interference entirely, but am leaning away from it (and toward ini corruption) pretty heavily. Mainly because many people who start from a fresh (no preferences) install of 0.9.12 experience no issues for quite some time. Which leads me to believe it takes them a while to recreate the exact sequence of things that is causing the corruption. I would expect general bad interactions with shell extensions to manifest a bit more consistently and often. But I could be wrong.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-05-2019 at 08:05 AM.