Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-01-2019, 05:39 PM   #106
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Added: Should SIGIL_PREFS_DIR relocate the sigil-ebook or the sigil-ebook\sigil directory?
Sigil expects the Sigil.ini file to be in the directory specified by SIGIL_PREFS_DIR (or it will create a default one there if there's not one), so it would be the equivalent of the sigil-ebook\sigil directory. But it can be named anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
[I suggest a locked Sticky Thread at MR - Sigil Essentials. Somewhere to put the little things - env-vars, command line options, pre-requisites etc.

BR
We'll see. I'm trying to grow Sigil's Github Wiki little by little, so I may put info like that there.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 06:08 PM   #107
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
... But it can be named anything.
like C:\_AppData\Sigil\Prefs

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2019, 06:49 PM   #108
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Remember that if you're planning to run two Sigil installations under the same user account, you'll need to set the variable in a cmd script that launches Sigil for one of the installs. Otherwise both installs will use the same directory defined by the env var if it's defined globally (or if it's a user env var).
Old 03-02-2019, 10:42 AM   #109
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
What are those issues (aside from your concerns over memory increases measured in 100s of MBs)?

If there are still major performance issues after a clean install with no saved preferences at all (and by major, I mean seeing "Not Responding" messages), then we need to start looking at issues with particular video drivers and other installed software. The fact of the matter is: there are lots people using the latest Sigil on Windows 10 and Windows 7 who are not experiencing any of these major performance issues. The number of those who are (and have reported them) is extremely low. This suggests that the issue does not lie with Sigil per se, but perhaps with issues that Sigil's new version of Qt has with particular hardware drivers or software on the machines that are having difficulty.
Well, regrettably, I had to downgrade to Sigil 0.9.10 It's practicably impossible for me to open two instances of Sigil 0.9.12; the program takes (the two instances) about 1.4GB of memory after a half an hour of work and Sigil becames slow and with many "Not respond" messages. With Sigil 0.9.10 that didn't happen (and is not happening). Maybe the new version of Qt is eating a lot of memory.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 12:01 PM   #110
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
Maybe the new version of Qt is eating a lot of memory.
No The likely problem is a) Your ini files were corrupted, or b) the new version of Qt has an issue with some software/driver on your system.

If your problem persists after starting from a fresh install (with fresh preferences) of Sigil 0.9.12, then we need to figure out what video driver or software package is causing the issue. We can't do that if everyone runs back to 0.9.10 or insists on declaring their own unsubstantiated prognoses.
Advert
Old 03-02-2019, 03:05 PM   #111
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No The likely problem is a) Your ini files were corrupted, or b) the new version of Qt has an issue with some software/driver on your system.

If your problem persists after starting from a fresh install (with fresh preferences) of Sigil 0.9.12,...
Yes, did run Sigil 0.9.12 from a fresh install and without any .ini files present (in the Sigil's Preference folder).

Quote:
...then we need to figure out what video driver or software package is causing the issue. We can't do that if everyone runs back to 0.9.10 or insists on declaring their own unsubstantiated prognoses.
Ok, you know Sigil better than me. But, what can I do? I can't work with the new Sigil release, so I run back to 0.9.10 by need.
Old 03-02-2019, 03:41 PM   #112
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Understood. But please when you get a free moment, start again completely clean with empty ini files and things. Then when the huge slowdown hits, please zip up your sigil.ini, sigil_searches.ini, and sigil_clips.ini and post them here if you would.

I have experienced the huge slowdown on MacOS and it was when I invoked saved searches. It turns out my sigil_searches.ini was filled with garbage when it happened. So we are trying to figure out how that file or other ini files gets corrupted without running an old version of Sigil at the same time. Also please make sure you have only one instance of Sigil running in the TaskManager. Perhaps having multiple Sigils open, even if all the same version causes issues? We are still unsure and are hoping that any corruption in the ini files will give us some idea of what is going on.

Thanks!

KevinH
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 04:38 PM   #113
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Understood. But please when you get a free moment, start again completely clean with empty ini files and things. Then when the huge slowdown hits, please zip up your sigil.ini, sigil_searches.ini, and sigil_clips.ini and post them here if you would.
Ok. I'll do that and I'll post here my ini files (.ini files from Sigil 0.9.12).

Quote:
Perhaps having multiple Sigils open, even if all the same version causes issues? We are still unsure and are hoping that any corruption in the ini files will give us some idea of what is going on.
The two instances of Sigil opened were of the same version: 0.9.12. And as I said, after half and hour of work, between both of them, the Task Manager reported a memory used of about 1.4GB

And thanks to you and Diap for your hard work!
Old 03-02-2019, 08:31 PM   #114
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The two instances of Sigil opened were of the same version: 0.9.12. And as I said, after half and hour of work, between both of them, the Task Manager reported a memory used of about 1.4GB
Two instances with default INIs? Or had you already copied your old preferences back? That's the distinction I'm trying to make. Is Sigil using that much memory with the default INIs that are created with a fresh install, or are you copying your INIs back to gain access to your saved searches and such?
Old 03-03-2019, 02:30 PM   #115
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Quote:
Two instances with default INIs? Or had you already copied your old preferences back? That's the distinction I'm trying to make. Is Sigil using that much memory with the default INIs that are created with a fresh install, or are you copying your INIs back to gain access to your saved searches and such?
Hello Doug,
Current Sigil 0.9.12 32 & 64 bit using QT5.11.2 are using up memory if the preview Widget is shown, as RbnJrg reported in an earlier post.

I would have accepted Kevins and your replies about the memory-usage as to be expected and have silently revert to 0.9.9, but as Kevin is asking to track this down, here are my observations:
I did a clean install of Sigil 0.9.12 64bit under Windows 7 64 bit classic theme.
Both program-folder and preferences were renamed ahead of installation.
Fireed up Sigil, loaded a epub, messed around with it.
Memory-Usage in task-manger remained stable.
Pressed F10, as with initial settings, Preview isn't shown. Did some more messing around, changing between open tabs, memory usage climbed and climbed.
This happed with and without using S&R. Just example searches like join paragraph. (no own settings are copied over).
Pressed F10 again, the memory-usage remained stable at the high level but didn't increase any further.

Then I did another clean install of your legacy build 0.9.12 using QT5.6 and wounder what? There is a stable low memory foot-print even with the preview Widget open.
You will find the same with any Sigil version using QT5.6.
(I'm just wondering about the statements the high memory usage while changing tabs would to be expected, but you are the developers, so it is not me to judge.)

So, beside of an possible problem converting *.inis to UTF-8, which I also noticed. Once changing all dashes to some weird 3 char code not alone in *.ini but also in the xhtml files in an open epub, I suggest looking into the usage of the preview Widget under Windows and QT 5.11.2.

For the time being I will roll with the legacy build.

Sincerely
Mark
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 02:49 PM   #116
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
Hi Diap;

First at all, I cleaned all traced of previous versions of Sigil, .ini files included). After that I made a fresh installation of Sigil 0.9.12; the program created new .ini files. After starting for first time Sigil (that is, after the new installation), I changed some thing in "Preferences..." (languages, dictionary, size of icons, a couple of things more). In no way I copied material from my old .inis in the new ones. I restarted Sigil (so changes take effect) and I started to work and I load an epub I'm working on. After five ten minutes I started a new instance of Sigil to open an epub from where I was to copy some code. I continued working of that way, by seeking code in one instance of Sigil to paste inside the other, and to see how I had resolved some situations in previous work. After half and hour Sigil became slow and not responsive. I watched in Task Manager and between both instance opened of Sigil were using about 1.4GB of memory. The epubs had many images, some custom fonts and many .xhtml files but in the past I worked with similar files and I didn't have any trouble to have two (or more) instance of Sigil opened. Today I'm not working but tomorrow I'll do the test that Kevin said to me and I'll post here my .ini files.
Old 03-03-2019, 02:58 PM   #117
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nord View Post
Hello Doug,
Current Sigil 0.9.12 32 & 64 bit using QT5.11.2 are using up memory if the preview Widget is shown, as RbnJrg reported in an earlier post.

I would have accepted Kevins and your replies about the memory-usage as to be expected and have silently revert to 0.9.9, but as Kevin is asking to track this down, here are my observations:
I did a clean install of Sigil 0.9.12 64bit under Windows 7 64 bit classic theme.
Both program-folder and preferences were renamed ahead of installation.
Fireed up Sigil, loaded a epub, messed around with it.
Memory-Usage in task-manger remained stable.
Pressed F10, as with initial settings, Preview isn't shown. Did some more messing around, changing between open tabs, memory usage climbed and climbed.
This happed with and without using S&R. Just example searches like join paragraph. (no own settings are copied over).
Pressed F10 again, the memory-usage remained stable at the high level but didn't increase any further.

Then I did another clean install of your legacy build 0.9.12 using QT5.6 and wounder what? There is a stable low memory foot-print even with the preview Widget open.
You will find the same with any Sigil version using QT5.6.
(I'm just wondering about the statements the high memory usage while changing tabs would to be expected, but you are the developers, so it is not me to judge.)

So, beside of an possible problem converting *.inis to UTF-8, which I also noticed. Once changing all dashes to some weird 3 char code not alone in *.ini but also in the xhtml files in an open epub, I suggest looking into the usage of the preview Widget under Windows and QT 5.11.2.

For the time being I will roll with the legacy build.

Sincerely
Mark
I understand that many want to use Task Manager's reported memory usage as an indicator of a problem, but I'm really only interested in performance issues that are experienced and not merely assumed by watching the "meter climb".

With the clean install and the default INIs, did you experience actual slowdowns? Did Sigil become less and less usable? Did you see any "Not responding messages", or did you merely see the numbers increasing in Task Manager?

I would really rather that testers leave Task Manager out of the equation completely.

I'm using 0.9.12 on both Windows 7 and Windows 10 and I have yet to experience any massive slowdowns or encounter any "Not Responding" messages. I'm not trying to brush reports off as "Works for me!" I know there are issues. I'm just trying to make it clear that that means it can't be as simple as Qt5.11.2, bad ... Qt5.6.2, good.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-03-2019 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 02:59 PM   #118
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Hi Diap;

First at all, I cleaned all traced of previous versions of Sigil, .ini files included). After that I made a fresh installation of Sigil 0.9.12; the program created new .ini files. After starting for first time Sigil (that is, after the new installation), I changed some thing in "Preferences..." (languages, dictionary, size of icons, a couple of things more). In no way I copied material from my old .inis in the new ones. I restarted Sigil (so changes take effect) and I started to work and I load an epub I'm working on. After five ten minutes I started a new instance of Sigil to open an epub from where I was to copy some code. I continued working of that way, by seeking code in one instance of Sigil to paste inside the other, and to see how I had resolved some situations in previous work. After half and hour Sigil became slow and not responsive. I watched in Task Manager and between both instance opened of Sigil were using about 1.4GB of memory. The epubs had many images, some custom fonts and many .xhtml files but in the past I worked with similar files and I didn't have any trouble to have two (or more) instance of Sigil opened. Today I'm not working but tomorrow I'll do the test that Kevin said to me and I'll post here my .ini files.
Thanks for getting back to me on that.
Old 03-03-2019, 04:22 PM   #119
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Also keep in mind that using the default ini files is no guarantee that those defaults aren't getting corrupted as well. We clearly haven't tracked down all the possibilities that can cause ini corruption, so something you do as part of your regular routine (that we haven't stumbled across yet) could have already corrupted those default preference files.

The one thing we know for sure is that ini file corruption DOES cause massive performance issue with the recent versions.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:53 PM   #120
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I changed some thing in "Preferences..." (languages, dictionary, size of icons, a couple of things more).
Can you be a little more specific about the changes you made here? I just want to rule out any possibility of corruption being caused by even the simplest things that people do with Sigil that I may not do.