Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-26-2019, 05:35 AM   #76
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The code to convert .ini files to utf-8 is baked right into the Sigil source. So it shouldn't matter if an upgrade is skipped here or there. Anything 0.9.11 or later should do the trick.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 05:39 AM   #77
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The code to convert .ini files to utf-8 is baked right into the Sigil source. So it shouldn't matter if an upgrade is skipped here or there. Anything 0.9.11 or later should do the trick.
Since DNSB's sigil.ini file contained  entries, am I right in assuming that somehow the utf-8 conversion failed?

If so, what would be the best way for DNSB to fix this problem?
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2019, 06:52 AM   #78
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Since DNSB's sigil.ini file contained  entries, am I right in assuming that somehow the utf-8 conversion failed?

Not certain yet. I'm not in a handy place to study the code. But I've seen that character in my own preserve_entity_codes section of the ini, yet my entities list is being properly preserved (numeric or named).
Old 02-26-2019, 07:27 AM   #79
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Misc
Quote:

1. DNSB was running new version (0.9.11 or 0.9.12) and config files was properly converted to utf-8.
2. DNSB was running old version (0.9.10 or older) and all configs have damaged.
3. Later DNSB was running new version again (0.9.11 or 0.9.12) and configs have damaged totally.

The only known solution: restore configuration files* from backup.

* Four files:
sigil.ini
sigil_clips.ini
sigil_index.ini
sigil_searches.ini

Edit: If you want to repair only entities:
1. Remove line "preserve_entity_codes"* from sigil.ini
2. Add any entity in Preferences (ex. "&bull ;") or temporary remove a one.
3. Line "preserve_entity_codes" will fixed based on the "preserve_entity_names" entry.

Last edited by BeckyEbook; 02-26-2019 at 07:36 AM.
BeckyEbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:10 AM   #80
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyEbook View Post
Edit: If you want to repair only entities:
1. Remove line "preserve_entity_codes"* from sigil.ini
2. Add any entity in Preferences (ex. "&bull ;") or temporary remove a one.
3. Line "preserve_entity_codes" will fixed based on the "preserve_entity_names" entry.
This does work to rebuild the preserve_entity_codes entry in the sigil.ini file.
Advert
Old 02-26-2019, 11:50 AM   #81
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
odamizu,

Your issue here about the mac menu bar missing file open, file new, and quit once all windows are closed which you posted here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=27

have just been worked around in master.

Given the number of Mac OS X specific Qt bugs that have been reported and now fixed in master, I will probably upload a new mac specific installer someplace when I get a free moment. If I do, I will let you know where you can grab it.

Thank you for your bug report!

Kevin
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 12:38 PM   #82
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Hi David,

Actually, the second entry, preserve_entity_codes, should be human readable, if you open sigil.ini with a utf-8 compatible editor, e.g. Notepad++. (For an example, see the attached screenshot.)
However, since your preserve_entity_codes entry contains lots of entries with an à character, it looks like your .ini files weren't properly converted to utf-8 files.
Did you by any chance skip the Sigil 0.9.11 update or did you install two different Sigil versions on your machine? If so, your .ini files might not have been properly converted. (I'm not sure if the Sigil 0.9.12 installer also converts legacy .ini files.)
If that's the case, you should also see entries with à characters, if you open the Clip Editor/Saved Searches dialog boxes.
If you also see à characters in the Clip Editor/Saved Searches dialog boxes, you might have to manually convert your old .ini files to utf-8 files.

However, before you do anything, please wait for an authoritative answer by @DiapDealer
I saved a backup copy of sigil.ini and removed the entity name and code entries. I then recreated the entries and the preserve_entity_codes now has a mass of various size spaces and a double right arrow. Testing shows the entities are surviving open/modify/save. I was using Notepad++ to edit -- it's been my preferred editor for a decade or so now.

The clips and saved searches both look good.

I did install Sigil 9.11 and promptly ran into the @fontface issue. Came here to complain and, dang it, 9.12 had already been released addressing the issue.

My thanks to all those who helped with the issue.

Last edited by DNSB; 02-26-2019 at 12:44 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 12:42 PM   #83
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

the codes line is used to store short integer values in a Settings file and is synced to the names field.

they are both stored together.

for the next release we could store instead string versions of the short int types instead of the integer types themselves.

I remember seeing a Qt bug report about not properly storing non-string values in a settings file.

Last edited by KevinH; 02-26-2019 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 01:10 PM   #84
brent63
Zealot
brent63 began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tab E nook
Due to performance issues I uninstalled 9.12 and installed 9.11.

I did see the post about Bluetooth which I had just on for my wireless headset. I stop using the headset and turn off Bluetooth and installed 9.12. I still had the cursor issues, slow scrolling.

I no longer had the Not Responding issue.

Still unhappy with 9.12.

Uninstalled 9.12, deleted all files in Appdata folder and reinstalled 9.11.

Will monitor this post and look forward to future Sigil releases.

Brent
brent63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 01:27 PM   #85
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent63 View Post
There is absolutely no reason for 0.9.11 to perform better than 0.9.12 on Windows. None whatsoever. It is the same code (minus the omission of a single underscore character in a python script) the same support binaries/libraries--the works!

Did you ever delete all the files in AppData before installing 0.9.12? If not... in all likelihood, THAT is the reason 0.9.11 seems to work better for you. Had you done the same for 0.9.12 ... well, who knows? I only know there's no reason on god's green earth why 0.9.11 would work better for you--out of the box--than 0.9.12.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-26-2019 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:46 PM   #86
brent63
Zealot
brent63 began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tab E nook
Okay, I uninstalled 9.11 checked that all files in the Program Files directory were removed.

I removed all App Date files so Sigil 9.12 is a clean install.

I will see how it works before adding adding the Language Tool plug in.

I do most of my typing in OpenOffice as I have Smart Quotes set then cut and paste into Sigil.

Brent
brent63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 02:47 PM   #87
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
odamizu,

Your issue here about the mac menu bar missing file open, file new, and quit once all windows are closed which you posted here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=27

have just been worked around in master.

Given the number of Mac OS X specific Qt bugs that have been reported and now fixed in master, I will probably upload a new mac specific installer someplace when I get a free moment. If I do, I will let you know where you can grab it.

Thank you for your bug report!

Kevin
Kevin! You and DiapDealer are the best!

P.S. Absolutely no rush on this. I'm doing fine with the workaround you suggested.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 05:20 PM   #88
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent63 View Post

I did see the post about Bluetooth which I had just on for my wireless headset. I stop using the headset and turn off Bluetooth and installed 9.12. I still had the cursor issues, slow scrolling.

I no longer had the Not Responding issue.

Still unhappy with 9.12.

Uninstalled 9.12, deleted all files in Appdata folder and reinstalled 9.11.

Will monitor this post and look forward to future Sigil releases.

Brent
@Brent63 - whilst the Bluetooth service module was the cause of my video editor wedging, I did not intend implying that it specifically could be the cause of Sigil's problem.

What I was trying to suggest is that people use Task Manager to see what else is hogging resources. It looks like it might be a memory management issue, not a leak, but maybe a garbage collector asleep on the job

FTR I am still on 9.9, skipped 9.10 because of the Preview problem - holding off on 9.12. I've dismantled much of my test environment, because the time I was spending on keeping it up to scratch exceeded the benefits. I see the next version of Windows (1904) comes with a built in Sandbox - that'll be useful.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 09:15 AM   #89
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Memory managing under Sigil-0.9.12

As I said in previous posts, I'm working under Windows 7 x64. I made some experiments to see what is happening with the memory managing of Sigil:

1. After opening Sigil (no file loaded), the memory used by the program was about 120 MB.

2. After loading an .epub of about 1MB with 30 .jpg images, Sigil reported to be using about 220MB. Till here, all ok.

3. After doing minor changes in the .epub (changing a number, or changing just a simple word) Sigil reported to be using about 250MB.

4. After saving the .epub, the memory used was of 260MB.

5. I started opening some tabs from different .xhtml files present in the .epub, and also the .css stylesheet and after that, the memory used by Sigil was of 360MB. I closed all tabs except the .css stylesheet and the memory used was the same.

6. I opened again just one of the tabs previouly closed and the memory used was the same.

7. I closed the tab I opened in step #6 and I opened a new tab (never opened yet) and the memory used raised: 370MB.

8. Again I made minor changes in the epub and the memory used raised, 380MB.

For some reason Sigil is not freeing memory, specially after opening/closing tabs.

EDIT: I worked with a clean installation of Sigil.
RbnJrg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 10:43 AM   #90
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Actually no. When you close a tab, that tab is scheduled to be deleted later (memory freed) under control of its parent. So Qt determines when that tab's memory will be deleted and thereby freed. Please note, there is a huge differences between memory used and memory leaked.

For an app of close to 150 meg in uncompressed size to consume 370 meg of virtual memory is nothing unusual. So you are not seeing a "leak", you are seeing Qt trying to optimize performance by using memory to hold caches and things to speed things up. This does not make for a smallest memory footprint.

Again, many images, icons and things are loaded into caches which will not be cleared until some image or icon resource is no longer needed. Looking at process total memory can be very misleading in many ways because of mmaping and memory caches.

My worry was that if left idle that Sigil would continue to leak memory but that does not appear to be the case given earlier responses.

I know the valgrind tool exists to look for memory leaks and macOS has a "leaks command-line tool". I have run the macOS leaks tool and almost every minor leak is associated with Pixmaps or icons set up once per MainWindow (in Mac with Sigil you have one app with multiple main windows, unlike the other platforms). There are also different objects that are pointers to mac native widgets used behind the scene.

So far, at least on mac, things appear to be reasonably stable in memory. If anyone has access to valgrind and could use it to check under Linux that would be usefull.

I am not sure if valgrind can be used under Windows.

Last edited by KevinH; 02-27-2019 at 10:50 AM.