Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-08-2019, 11:09 PM   #181
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Just to make sure the extra sigil.ini files didn't have anything to do with the problems I had last time, I deleted the extra .ini files, went back into CCleaner, disabled every item in the Context menu (plus whatever I could disable in the Windows menu), and restarted again in Safe Mode (no networking). Same issues with climbing memory usage. I got to 3500 mb and quit because clicking on files and closing them (or opening and closing the Preview Window ten thousand times) was getting on my nerves, lol. This time, however, I did not end up with extra sigil.ini files. I have no idea what is causing these odd problems, and I have the utmost respect for anyone who eventually figures this out. I can watch memory usage climb, then release, but the releasing of memory never quite catches up with how much it climbs. An example sequence: open a file, memory usage climbs 5 mb. Close the file, wait a little, memory usage drops back 2 mb. Net gain of 3 mb. Good luck to you all. I'm going to bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@KevinH - given how few users are suffering I'm wondering if it could be something to do with image processing (illaci wrote "... opening images, closing images,...") - my assumption being that most users wouldn't doing much with images.

@illaci - can you confirm you disabled all the Context Menu items in CCleaner, sorry to be a pain in the you know..., but I'm sure you understand...

BR
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 12:51 PM   #182
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Well, bad luck to me. I did what BR said me and after disabling all programs in the Windows, Scheduled Tasks, and Context Menu tabs from CCleaner, issues subsisted. I was able to run Sigil for more time without troubles but Sigil eats and eats memory and eventually the program collapses (because of lack of resources). I attach my Sigil .ini files but I didn't find any corruption (or at least, that was what it seemed to me).

Regards
Rubén
Attached Files
File Type: zip sigil.zip (7.3 KB, 133 views)
RbnJrg is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2019, 04:57 PM   #183
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
DiapDealer has now recreated similar problems on his Windows development box. He is looking into it before we release anything new.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 06:22 PM   #184
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
DiapDealer has now recreated similar problems on his Windows development box.
Great! Now we are a step closer of the solution.
RbnJrg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 09:31 PM   #185
brent63
Zealot
brent63 began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tab E nook
Quote:
DiapDealer has now recreated similar problems on his Windows development box. He is looking into it before we release anything new.
I'm feeling vindicated, here's hoping he can find the issue.
brent63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2019, 10:18 PM   #186
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent63 View Post
... here's hoping he can find the issue.
I'll eat my hat if he doesn't
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 06:04 AM   #187
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I'll eat my hat if he doesn't
Better get some red sauce in, just in case.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 02:19 PM   #188
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
help on video card and driver windows qt conflicts

DiapDealer has narrowed the problem down mainly to Qt conflcts with specific video cards and/or specific driver software versions.

So when you get a free moment would you (brent63) and RbnJrg (and anyone else on Windows who sees huge slowdowns) please use your control panel or other system tools to identify the all the video card or cards on your system and your current driver versions. Note many systems have one video gpu on the motherboard and one or even two on graphics cards.

Please post that info here or alternatively pm both DiapDealer and KevinH with it.

That way we can see what combinations of cards and drivers work and which do not.

Thanks,

KevinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent63 View Post
I'm feeling vindicated, here's hoping he can find the issue.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:15 AM   #189
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

GeForce GTX 970, BIOS 84.4.1f.0.1; driver version 23.21.13.8813, dated 10/27/2017. Am updating driver software now and will test tomorrow.

Quote:
DiapDealer has narrowed the problem down mainly to Qt conflcts with specific video cards and/or specific driver software versions.

So when you get a free moment would you (brent63) and RbnJrg (and anyone else on Windows who sees huge slowdowns) please use your control panel or other system tools to identify the all the video card or cards on your system and your current driver versions. Note many systems have one video gpu on the motherboard and one or even two on graphics cards.

Please post that info here or alternatively pm both DiapDealer and KevinH with it.

That way we can see what combinations of cards and drivers work and which do not.

Thanks,

KevinH
Old 03-12-2019, 10:32 AM   #190
icallaci
Guru

Updated to the latest GeForce GTX 970 driver, version 23.21.13.9135, dated 3/23/2018. No joy. Still experiencing major slowdowns.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:54 PM   #191
brent63
Zealot

Quote:

Thanks,

KevinH
See below:

Name: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
PNP Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0A16&SUBSYS_06511028&REV_0B\3&115 83659&0&10
Adapter Type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, Intel Corporation compatible
Adapter Description: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
Adapter RAM: 1.00 GB (1,073,741,824 bytes)
Installed Drivers: igdumdim64.dll, igd10iumd64.dll, igd10iumd64.dll, igd12umd64.dll
Driver Version: 20.19.15.4531
INF File: oem36.inf (iHSWM_w10 section)
Resolution: 1366 x 768 x 60 hertz
Driver: c:\windows\system32\drivers\igdkmd64.sys (20.19.15.4531, 7.61 MB (7,974,904 bytes), 2/16/2017 12:21 AM)

Brent
Old 03-12-2019, 02:20 PM   #192
brent63
Zealot

I went to Intel Driver Support Assistant and received the attached:

Intel Software is up to date; but the latest driver version x.x.x.5058 is not the install version.

any idea if this would help?

Brent
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Intel Driver.PNG
Views:	184
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	170198  
Old 03-12-2019, 02:43 PM   #193
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
For those experiencing the severe performance issues with Sigil 0.9.12 on Windows 10: can you please check to see if you've received the KB4482887 Windows update or not? I'll do the same when I get home after work. It's nothing more than a wild hunch at this point, but Microsoft has copped to this update causing a lot of negative performance issues with certain games (yes, I know Sigil is not a game), and plan to release a fix for it.

Could be nothing, but I'd like to rule it out.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 05:07 PM   #194
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
For those experiencing the severe performance issues with Sigil 0.9.12 on Windows 10: can you please check to see if you've received the KB4482887 Windows update or not? I'll do the same when I get home after work. It's nothing more than a wild hunch at this point, but Microsoft has copped to this update causing a lot of negative performance issues with certain games (yes, I know Sigil is not a game), and plan to release a fix for it.

Could be nothing, but I'd like to rule it out.
Never mind. I don't have this update on my machine that's having the problem.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 03:51 PM   #195
brent63
Zealot

DiapDealer,

Any luck so far?

According to my HP assistant my system is up to date. I did however go into my hardware configuration and updated my video driver to 20.19.15.4835.

Since March 1 I have had 3 windows updates:
KB4023057 on 3/1/2019
KB4489907 on 3/13/2019
KB4489868 on 1/13/2019

I do have windows to update as soon as they can.

This matter may be completely unrelated but I am still using 9.10 and just received the below error:

Error info: Unknown exception
Sigil version: 0.9.10
Runtime Qt: 5.6.2
Compiled Qt: 5.6.2
Platform: Windows SysInfo ID 192

Attached are the INI files
Attached Files
File Type: zip sigil.zip (18.1 KB, 125 views)