Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-11-2009, 10:54 PM   #226
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
I just noticed in the Calibre forum that it now supports the jetBook. I'll try it out tonight, but if that's the case we now have a jetBook library manager!

Kewl
Cool. I will try to check it with Calibre tomorrow.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:52 PM   #227
exvaxman
Connoisseur
exvaxman began at the beginning.

I had the sony, and I like the jetbook better. The screen is just easier for me to read. (Apologies to my father who was in on the beginning of e-ink).
exvaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:49 PM   #228
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by exvaxman View Post
I had the sony, and I like the jetbook better. The screen is just easier for me to read. (Apologies to my father who was in on the beginning of e-ink).
I agree whole heartedly, in fact I’m thinking that my Sony may just be appearing in the Flea Market soon.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 08:00 AM   #229
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Just to let people know - the BB&B located close to my mother's house didn't carry the jetbook. But, they sent it to her house (no charge I think). The salesperson said two weeks - but it came in only one! Now, about another 10 days to get here to me....

BTW- I didn't go to all this hassle just to get it a bit cheaper; mom had to send me a large box of stuff in any case + jetbook is DOUBLE the price in Europe (300 euros vs $200 with discount coupon). The European price should get more in sync.
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 11:34 AM   #230
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post
Just to let people know - the BB&B located close to my mother's house didn't carry the jetbook. But, they sent it to her house (no charge I think). The salesperson said two weeks - but it came in only one! Now, about another 10 days to get here to me....

BTW- I didn't go to all this hassle just to get it a bit cheaper; mom had to send me a large box of stuff in any case + jetbook is DOUBLE the price in Europe (300 euros vs $200 with discount coupon). The European price should get more in sync.
Yes, price for jetBook in BB&B with coupon much less expensive than in Europe. I think the main reason that in Europe they charge VAT and other import taxes... . It is not only jetBook, the cost of Sony more expensive too.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:12 AM   #231
Kris777
Banned

please vote for jetBook forum here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47659
Old 05-26-2009, 12:53 PM   #232
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
But o' course... why would any man actually shop in THAT store? Unless, of course, they were buying a skillet for the little woman...

WARNING! OFF-TOPIC JOKE:

Or a rolling pin for the big man!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:39 AM   #233
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, happy day!

Yay! - just picked up my new jetBook from the PO (where the box was filed under the wrong # - glad it survived the Greek postal service )

Looks great and comes with so many accessories! I'll charge it tonight and play with it tomorrow. Just FYI - it came with the 1 year International Warranty even though purchased in the USA. This is a big deal for me as I usually give up hope of a warranty in exchange for the lower prices in the US.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:21 AM   #234
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Nice! If BB&B manages to move them, it'll be a great competition target for others to aim for... especially with preloaded books, so many formats, and a great price!
i def agree.

the more credit we give to the jetbook (which is literally the best ereader i've had lol), and the more we see it out in public, its inevitable that the ECTACO company will try to push it and even get additional features and options.

their dictionary feature where you can get definitions for any word, i cant live without when reading Oscar Wilde lol.
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:24 AM   #235
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
I just noticed that on the BB&B web site it is listed under the category The Perfect Gifts > For Him
yeaaa!

i don't understand why they put it under Perfect Gift For Him - but i think it has to do with the wedding theme of the website - im sure women would enjoy this too though!
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:07 PM   #236
rgeorg
Guru

Definitely! Speaking as a woman in my 50s - I really like the portability form factor, ease-of-use and general "feel" of the jetBook. You can hold it in either hand and turn pages easily, and the drag-and-drop USB connection makes it very quick to get up and running. I am technically-savvy in general, but I have little patience when things don't work as expected. Haven't tried the dictionary yet as I don't use one (my non-work fiction reading tends to be light).

One other big appeal (esp. for women I think) is the fact that the package comes with everything you need - charger, case, earphones and even books! One-stop-shopping, and the charger works world-wide as does the warranty. These convenience factors are not mentioned much - but make a real difference when you start adding up the extra costs with other devices - and you don't have to figure out which charger works, which is best, what case to buy, etc. There was a nice little card in the case with a clear explanation of the supported formats, as well as websites where books are available (free or pay) in these formats. This could keep me occupied for many years!

I'm content with non-DRM books: txt, rtf, and epub suit me fine - but adding HTML support would also be nice. I don't expect good pdf book reading on an under 9" device. The screen readability is great - better than I expected - and the quick (non-flashing) refresh more than makes up for the smaller 5" size; all-in-all a very pleasant reading experience.

And...it really is pretty with the blue print on the nice black case! I also hope that Ectaco does well and that the no-DRM support doesn't hinder adoption too much.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:08 PM   #237
Kris777
Banned

Can’t afford a Kindle?

http://ireaderreview.com/2009/06/22/...ford-a-kindle/

I like the comments from the person who has 3 eBook readers: JetBook, Kindle 1, and Sony PRS-505:

I own a JetBook (~$200 at Fry’s as well), Kindle 1, and had a Sony PRS-505, so here is a review.

Overall it is a great lightweight replacement for a pocket novel/book, esp. if you have ebooks already. It is the one I carry with me every day.

It is not for impulse buyer (no wireless) or someone who needs technical documents. For this look to the iRex or Kindle DX for an 8″+ screen.

Good:
Smaller than Kindle, pocket sized and light.
Instant page turns
USB charge (like Kindle 2)
Multilingual support
built in dictionary is not bad, but not equal to Wikipedia.
Screen is LCD and IMO as good as the Kindle 1 or Sony PRS505
SD expandable (Get a Class 6 SD card or your system will slow down)
Built in file management
Half the price of Kindle or Sony

Fair:
PDF support is OK, but currently no reflow of text.
FYI: Reflow is supposed to be available in a firmware update. However, with a 5″ screen, technical diagrams and large pictures are too small to view. IMO neither the Kindle nor the Sony viewed these documents well either.
Battery life is not as good, about a week of moderate reading between charges, maybe 12-16 hours of constant reading.
Was a little slick and hard to hold, but either a silicone case (ebay) or a camera wrist strap fixed that.

Bad:
No store (like Sony) or Whispernet, you must find ebooks via other stores. Although with Amazon & Sony’s DRM issues, this might not be all bad.

My jetBook has Battery life - 20-22 hours but other part of this review sounds correct for me.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:36 PM   #238
jetreader
Banned
jetreader doesn't litterjetreader doesn't litter

Device: jetbook
...you must find ebooks via other stores...
It's not limited to the books only. What a priceless opportunity to download (free)articles by major american political commentators (left or right) via drudgereport.com where You have a list of their personal blogs, what a convenience!
jetreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:55 PM   #239
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetreader View Post
...you must find ebooks via other stores...
It's not limited to the books only. What a priceless opportunity to download (free)articles by major american political commentators (left or right) via drudgereport.com where You have a list of their personal blogs, what a convenience!
100% agree. All these articles available in TXT format.

I download most popular NY Times articles on daily basis:
http://www.nytimes.com/gst/mostpopular.html
Old 06-24-2009, 02:20 AM   #240
rgeorg
Guru

Hi Kris777,
Do you download the NYTs articles in txt? When I click on a link I go to the article..I could copy-paste + save as txt - is there a faster way? I like the idea!