Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-24-2019, 12:20 PM   #46
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
same here.

I undocked my Preview window and started playing with just the width while viewing the cover of the user's guide. It will zoom as small as I like until the image is tiny if I change the width smaller.

If I change the width larger, it scales to a certain point and then stops scaling and the vertical scrollbar appears and so I can still see everything but I have to scroll to see it.

So it does function, it just is not like earlier versions of qwebkit.

Last edited by KevinH; 02-24-2019 at 12:24 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 03:00 PM   #47
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
A different issue...which is most likely a QT problem... The preview pane no longer properly constrains an SVG wrapped image.

The below code normally centers the image in the window and maximizes the image while keeping the proper aspect ratio. It no worky anymore...:
Code:

<div style="margin:0; padding:0">
    <svg 
		xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" 
		height="100%" width="100%" 
		preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet" version="1.1" 
		viewBox="0 0 885 1416" 
		xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
        <image width="885" height="1416" xlink:href="../Images/cover.jpg"/>
    </svg>
  </div>

...and by no worky I mean it seems to clip the image when I adjust the dimensions of the undocked preview pane.
I've noticed the same when looking at an full-screen SVG image in BookView. The image used to fit inside the window while now it fits the window horizontally and I have to use the vertical scroll to scroll through the entire image.

Last edited by DNSB; 02-24-2019 at 03:03 PM. Reason: How many ways can you spell 'the'?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 04:32 PM   #48
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think this has to do with a change in default value for SVG preserveAspectRatio with the optonal "meet" or "slice" somehow defaulting to slice. I will play around some to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
same here.

I undocked my Preview window and started playing with just the width while viewing the cover of the user's guide. It will zoom as small as I like until the image is tiny if I change the width smaller.

If I change the width larger, it scales to a certain point and then stops scaling and the vertical scrollbar appears and so I can still see everything but I have to scroll to see it.

So it does function, it just is not like earlier versions of qwebkit.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:18 PM   #49
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Tracking with Task Manager shows Sigil eating up more and memory. Fresh boot with Calibre and Sigil open, before making any edits, memory use at 14%. After approximately one hour working with Sigil, memory use has climbed from 20% to 41% to 64%. Last night it was 84%. Closed and reopened Sigil, and memory use was back down to 14%. I'm on my way out the door now, so more testing will have to wait, but other processes were using no more than 0.1% or 0.2% of memory. (And it's not CPU use that is climbing. It is memory.)

Quote:
People seeing these dratic slowdowns on Windows, please follow BetterRed's idea of using the Task Manger to see what else is taking up cpu when this sluggishness occurs and report back.

Thanks,

KevinH
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 06:18 PM   #50
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Please try the exact same thing with Sigil 0.9.10 and let us know if memory use differs greatly from Sigil-0.9.12 with the same epub being edited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallaci View Post
Tracking with Task Manager shows Sigil eating up more and memory. Fresh boot with Calibre and Sigil open, before making any edits, memory use at 14%. After approximately one hour working with Sigil, memory use has climbed from 20% to 41% to 64%. Last night it was 84%. Closed and reopened Sigil, and memory use was back down to 14%. I'm on my way out the door now, so more testing will have to wait, but other processes were using no more than 0.1% or 0.2% of memory. (And it's not CPU use that is climbing. It is memory.)
Old 02-24-2019, 08:59 PM   #51
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
And for the sake of completeness: can we please verify that those who are experiencing severe performance issues are launching Sigil normally, and NOT via calibre's Open With feature (or plugin)?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:48 PM   #52
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Another nit. I have a test file which used entities for the various spaces (eyeballing a zero width space or a word joiner (non-breaking zero width space) is a bit of a pain). The en space (&#8194), em space (&#8195), thin space (&#8201) and the rightwards double arrow (&#8658), for instance, are no longer preserved.

I haven't modified this file in several years so not sure when the entities started dropping out. Is there an update to the XML entities list that will be preserved?

I suspect this may be due to changes in the supporting programs used by Sigil and not controllable. If so, life is tough.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:59 PM   #53
KevinH
Sigil Developer

You control that list.
Sigil Preferences Preserve Enties

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Another nit. I have a test file which used entities for the various spaces (eyeballing a zero width space or a word joiner (non-breaking zero width space) is a bit of a pain). The en space ( ), em space ( ), thin space ( ) and the rightwards double arrow (⇒), for instance, are no longer preserved.

I haven't modified this file in several years so not sure when the entities started dropping out. Is there an update to the XML entities list that will be preserved?

I suspect this may be due to changes in the supporting programs used by Sigil and not controllable. If so, life is tough.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:42 PM   #54
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Starting Sigil and then loading an epub took 57.4MB. After editing the file for about 30 minutes, Task Manager reported memory use as being 155.1MB. Starting from calibre using the Open With plugin showed the same growth pattern.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:45 PM   #55
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
You control that list.
Sigil Preferences Preserve Enties
Ummm.... I have those entities in my Preserve Entities list. The problem is that they are not preserved. The numeric entities in the list below are what I see in my Preserve Entities list. The only one that survives opening and closing the epub is the non-breaking space. I also tried declaring the entities in the epub itself but again the survival rate was 0.

Code:
No-Break space:		& #160 ;
En space:		& #8194 ;
Em space:		& #8195 ;
Thin space:		& #8201 ;
Hair space:		 & #8202 ;
Zero Width space:	​& #8203 ;
Narrow No-Break space:	& #8239 ;
Word Joiner:		⁠& #8288 ;	
Rightwards double arrow	& #8658 ;⁠
It's not that big a deal for me since I seldom using many entities except in my test epub.

Edit: I've attached an image of my Preserve Entities entries. Hmmm... Are the numeric entities not supported?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Preserve_Entities_entries.png
Views:	126
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	169903  

Last edited by DNSB; 02-24-2019 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Added image of Preserve Entities. Edited entity list to keep it from being parsed.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:59 PM   #56
KevinH
Sigil Developer

I will work on the Preserve entities issue tomorrow and let you know what I can find. No code was changed there recently so it should work unless the switch to utf-8 ini encoding is causing an issue of some sort.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:10 AM   #57
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Went back to Sigil 0.9.10 and did not see the same pattern of increasing memory usage. Started at about 15%, increased to 17% after a few minutes, and after a half-hour of editing was still at 17%. (With Sigil 0.9.12, it seems that heavy-duty regex F&R sends memory usage skyrocketing, although I have no data to support this. However, when I was simply reorganizing a CSS file and/or using normal F&R, 0.9.12 memory usage increased much more slowly. It was only when I was using regex F&R that I could see memory use climbing steadily and rapidly. I will try to test this in the next few days, but I will have limited time until next week.)
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:28 AM   #58
Vroni
Banned
Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Tolino/PRS 650/Tablet
Hi,

when i'm opening multiple files on macOS Mojave the filenames in the tab were abbreviated very fast to only three dots (...) which is not very helpful. As far as i can see diesplaying the file icon on the tab consumes a lot of space. with 0.9.9 (i skipped the 10) the file icon want displayed and no problems having 10 tabs open. Now having 5 tabs open there is no information any more which tab is showing which file.

\/roni
Vroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:01 AM   #59
KevinH
Sigil Developer

To test this, I just added your complete list to my Preserve entities, then added those entities to my epub and used them and even mended and cleaned up/ switched to bookview and back to code view and they were all properly preserved.

So something in your Sigil ini is probably messed up as Sigil's Preserve Entities seems to work just fine.

KevinH

Quote:
Ummm.... I have those entities in my Preserve Entities list. The problem is that they are not preserved. The numeric entities in the list below are what I see in my Preserve Entities list. The only one that survives opening and closing the epub is the non-breaking space. I also tried declaring the entities in the epub itself but again the survival rate was 0.

Code:
No-Break space:		& #160 ;
En space:		& #8194 ;
Em space:		& #8195 ;
Thin space:		& #8201 ;
Hair space:		 & #8202 ;
Zero Width space:	​& #8203 ;
Narrow No-Break space:	& #8239 ;
Word Joiner:		⁠& #8288 ;	
Rightwards double arrow	& #8658 ;⁠
It's not that big a deal for me since I seldom using many entities except in my test epub.

Edit: I've attached an image of my Preserve Entities entries. Hmmm... Are the numeric entities not supported?
Old 02-25-2019, 08:24 AM   #60
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Ummm.... I have those entities in my Preserve Entities list. The problem is that they are not preserved.
I wasn't able to reproduce this issue on my Windows 10 machine. Did you by any chance replace sigil.ini with a backup copy generated by an earlier Sigil version?

If not, please open your sigil.ini file and copy and paste the following two lines:

Code:
[user_preferences]
preserve_entity_names=
preserve_entity_codes=
(Since the forum software will replace non-breaking spaces with asterisks, it also couldn't hurt to check with a text editor that preserve_entity_codes= is followed by the Unicode characters that correspond to the entities that you want to preserve.)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote