Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 08-10-2011, 08:43 PM   #16
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
Some websites look a little different, but I think I'll leave the javascript off. Thanks, Gunner!
Yeah, sites heavy with Javascript will display options you would not normally see. Some, Facebook, prevents some functions like replying from working. Mobileread on the other hand is flawless.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:37 PM   #17
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Yesterday I was able to read a blog site from the LA Times that I could not previously get to stay open, no matter which browser I tried. I read all 4 pages of an article and browsed around -- no crashes!!

Oddly, I've never had much trouble with MobileRead.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2011, 09:02 AM   #18
joenunya
Banned
joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joenunya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle4pc
Sorry I don't know where Android stores their HOSTS file or if you can even access it so I can't help with the following but it's worth looking at for the sort of issues you are seeing. Even if it's not a 100% solution but it can't hurt in the long run.

You might consider altering or adding any of the HOSTS files out on the web (they have 1000's of sites preblocked) to your system to block many of the ad sites. Ad sites often are the ones with the offending Javascript as they are built with little care for cross platform/browser debugging. A good HOSTS file will help block a lot of problematic sites from being loaded to web pages when called from a site you are visiting.

Any time in the future if you need to unblock a site in the HOSTS file you can just edit the file commenting out the blocked site.

I use this all the time on my systems. It seriously helps in running around the web both faster and with increased browser stability.
joenunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:14 PM   #19
garyhgaryh
Zealot
garyhgaryh began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
It's in /etc/hosts, the standard unix location, although I'm not sure if the EE/PE uses it.

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by joenunya View Post
Sorry I don't know where Android stores their HOSTS file or if you can even access it so I can't help with the following but it's worth looking at for the sort of issues you are seeing. Even if it's not a 100% solution but it can't hurt in the long run.

You might consider altering or adding any of the HOSTS files out on the web (they have 1000's of sites preblocked) to your system to block many of the ad sites. Ad sites often are the ones with the offending Javascript as they are built with little care for cross platform/browser debugging. A good HOSTS file will help block a lot of problematic sites from being loaded to web pages when called from a site you are visiting.

Any time in the future if you need to unblock a site in the HOSTS file you can just edit the file commenting out the blocked site.

I use this all the time on my systems. It seriously helps in running around the web both faster and with increased browser stability.
garyhgaryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:01 PM   #20
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhgaryh View Post
It's in /etc/hosts, the standard unix location, although I'm not sure if the EE/PE uses it.
Nope, it's

/system/etc/hosts

the standard Android location.
It's empty by default, but it's there.
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2011, 02:15 PM   #21
garyhgaryh
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsenter View Post
Nope, it's

/system/etc/hosts

the standard Android location.
It's empty by default, but it's there.
Isn't it the same? Sym link right?
Old 08-11-2011, 03:58 PM   #22
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
Quote:
Isn't it the same? Sym link right?
Yes and no: if you inside the system - running Terminal Emulator or adb - then they respond the same way to your commands, but various GUI tools won't show directory by name "etc", but do show "system/etc".
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:09 PM   #23
garyhgaryh
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsenter View Post
Yes and no: if you inside the system - running Terminal Emulator or adb - then they respond the same way to your commands, but various GUI tools won't show directory by name "etc", but do show "system/etc".

By default, my host file is not blank. It contains
127.0.0.1 localhost

/etc/host and /system/etc/host are the same.
I guess to verify that you can edit one and you'll see that they both will get updated. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm almost sure of it. But I will agree with you that behavior can be different depending on the app you use.

I think we're splitting hairs though .
Old 08-11-2011, 07:50 PM   #24
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Doing much with the hosts file is rather cumbersome unless you visit only a very few sites, in which case you only allow those and ban everything else. On a PC, or notebook, the easy option is to use Firefox and install AdBlock+ and NoScript. With those installed you control what you see - no more flash adds, no more tracking by third hand sites and so on.

There is a version of Firefox for Android available but it needs quite a lot more work on it at the moment.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:53 PM   #25
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
By default, my host file is not blank. It contains
127.0.0.1 localhost

/etc/host and /system/etc/host are the same.
I guess to verify that you can edit one and you'll see that they both will get updated. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm almost sure of it. But I will agree with you that behavior can be different depending on the app you use.

I think we're splitting hairs though .
My hosts file reads the same.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:58 PM   #26
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak

alogcat log file

Using alogcat and clearing the log, opened native browser and enabled javascript, refreshed browser from menu option, went to facebook, browser crashed, saved alogcat log. Attached.
Attached Files
File Type: doc alogcat.2011-08-11-20-00-21-0400.doc (17.3 KB, 371 views)

Last edited by Gunnerp245; 08-11-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:42 PM   #27
garyhgaryh
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerp245 View Post
Using alogcat and clearing the log, opened native browser and enabled javascript, refreshed browser from menu option, went to facebook, browser crashed, saved alogcat log. Attached.
Thanks gunnerp. I really want to find a way to resolve crashing. It seems that all browsers are crashing when running javascript so it's probably not the browser itself, but either the plugin or a common module. I wonder if we need to update the java runtime on our machines. How do you do that on android? I'm familiar with updating it on pc's and mac's.

Gary
Old 08-12-2011, 02:01 PM   #28
MasterTec
Connoisseur
MasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: enTourage eDGe Pocket
I think it might have something to do with character encoding. Mine crashes from time to time also on my PE but I can reproduce it quite easily.

These main page of these Edge forums seems to crash it frequently but if it doesn't then clicking on one of the threads will crash it. I can go back in and click on that same thread and it will crash but by clicking on other threads it might not.

There is some kind of code the PE is seeing on specific webpages that causes it to crash. We just have to figure out what.

I'm going to post the link that caused it next time it crashes on me. I'm curious to see if it crashes your guys' edges also!

Last edited by MasterTec; 08-12-2011 at 02:29 PM.
MasterTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:54 PM   #29
garyhgaryh
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterTec View Post
I think it might have something to do with character encoding. Mine crashes from time to time also on my PE but I can reproduce it quite easily.

These main page of these Edge forums seems to crash it frequently but if it doesn't then clicking on one of the threads will crash it. I can go back in and click on that same thread and it will crash but by clicking on other threads it might not.

There is some kind of code the PE is seeing on specific webpages that causes it to crash. We just have to figure out what.

I'm going to post the link that caused it next time it crashes on me. I'm curious to see if it crashes your guys' edges also!
Yes, please do I cannot post with Opera on Mobile read. When I post, it will crash, always, unless I post a really short reply that contains a few words. If I post more than two lines, crash.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:15 PM   #30
MasterTec
Connoisseur
MasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: enTourage eDGe Pocket
I don't really see much of a need to run opera or dolphin or any other browser as the "factory" browser works fine for my needs.. I just noticed then when mine crashes it's always right as I click on a link and it seems like it's always the same links that crash it.

I'll be sure to keep a closer eye on exact what links causes it to crash from now on...

Of course now that I'm trying to get it to crash it absolutely refuses to do so!
MasterTec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
browser crash, wifi problems