Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-01-2008, 09:35 PM   #1
llwwss
llwwss doesn't litterllwwss doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3
eNews of the MobiPocket.

I know that v6.1 of the MobiPocket Desktop Reader supports the Cybook Gen3.

How does the eNew(RSS news feed) of the MobiPocket Reader work on the Cybook?

Is it readable?

How long does it take to transfer new feeds from the PC to the Cybook?

And can i use MobiPocket dictionaries'look up function when i read articles of

the Mobipocket eNews on the Cybook?

Thanks in advance.
llwwss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 02:10 AM   #2
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
eNews transfers quickly to the the Cybook just like a regular ebook. eNews is formatted just like a mobipocket book and so you can adjust the font size to make the font as large or small as you like. eNews articles include hyperlinks (of course external hyperlinks don't work) and you can move down and select a hyperlink to get to a specific place in the feed. You can select the Lookup mode and look up words in your dictionary.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2008, 02:12 PM   #3
llwwss

Thank ProfJulie for the answer.

I have another question.

Can the Cybook display Chinese or Japanese characters when i read Chinese or Japanese newspapers by the eNews of the Mobipocket on the Cybook?

Have you ever tried that?
Or anybody else?

Last edited by llwwss; 01-02-2008 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:13 PM   #4
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

I've never loaded Chinese or Japanese eNews to my Cybook so I can not confirm one way or the other if these characters display correctly. If you provide a link to one of your newspapers, I could try it out and let you know.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:41 PM   #5
llwwss

Here is Japanese Asahi newspaper's rss feed address of international section.

http://rss.asahi.com/f/asahi_international
Advert
Old 01-02-2008, 06:36 PM   #6
ProfJulie
Evangelist

I synced the rss read you provided to my Cybook and, unfortunately, it does not display the characters properly - all i see are a bunch of small boxes
Old 01-02-2008, 07:02 PM   #7
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
I synced the rss read you provided to my Cybook and, unfortunately, it does not display the characters properly - all i see are a bunch of small boxes
Might be because you don't have the right font. Add a chinese and japanese fonts if you'd like to test this file.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:59 PM   #8
llwwss

Maybe Japanese font which is .ttf file type needs be installed on the Cybook as Hadrien said.

Could you do this, ProfJulie?

Thank you for your effort.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:29 PM   #9
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
This thread says a reader was able to read Greek on the Cybook, you just need to add the correct font.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17973
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:35 PM   #10
ProfJulie
Evangelist

I don't have any Chinese or Japanese fonts on my computer that I could copy to my Cybook.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:09 PM   #11
llwwss

Here is fonts site, download Ms Gothic or Ms Mincho which are Japanese fonts.

http://www.themeworld.com/fonts/indexM14.html
Old 01-04-2008, 12:16 AM   #12
ProfJulie
Evangelist

I've tried to install these fonts to my reader by copying them to the \Fonts folder, but when I try to select them, they don't show up.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:20 AM   #13
coqui
coqui began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3; Motion LS800; Fujistu 4010
Question Cybook Gen 3 fonts

I have the same problem. I've tried all combinations that I can think of to load .ttf fonts with no luck. In addition, the CyBook manual states that the Veranda font is native, but the Georgia and Courier can be removed. However, there are only 4 files in the Fonts folder, all of them Georgia. If you remove these files you have NO fonts and can't display on the unit, regardless of whatever other fonts you have copied into the directory.

I haven't posted an e-mail to Bookeen yet, but am about to.

If anyone has a solution, please let me know.
coqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:24 AM   #14
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
You did try removing the .fonts.cache-1 file in the System folder? That should help.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:17 AM   #15
ProfJulie
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
You did try removing the .fonts.cache-1 file in the System folder? That should help.
Thanks! Removing the .fonts.cache-1 file in the System folder did the trick!

llwwss: I installed the MS Mincho font to the Cybook and now the characters show up correctly.