Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-13-2011, 09:41 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Hamstersoft Ebook Converter rips off calibre

A hot new ebook converter popped up just over a month ago, and it turns out there's a problem with it.

Hamstersoft was hailed by all the tech blogs as this great new way to covert ebooks from one format to another. It had a simple interface, foolproof operation, and a lot of enthusiastic users.

Unfortunately, the Hamstersoft Ebook Converter is also a pretty egregious example of copyright infringement. According to John Schember (a calibre contributor) the Hamstersoft Ebook Converter uses large chunks of code from the calibre ebook library app and doesn't comply with certain GPL (GNU General Public License) conditions.

You can find the full details over on John Schember's blog. It's technically complicated and quite long. You can also find a basic summary here.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:53 PM   #2
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
I don't know if people boycotting that company will help the situation, but personally I'll stay away from them and their products. Thanks for the summary. I also thank John for the details on his blog. I'm getting an education in various subjects around here, in a constant barrage.

Last edited by unboggling; 08-13-2011 at 09:57 PM.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2011, 10:51 PM   #3
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I'm for the boycott. I'll spread the word to anyone I see using it. Even though I've never heard of it until now.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:56 PM   #4
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
I hadn't heard of HamsterSoft either, but I strongly support Calibre and the ideas behind the GPL.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:22 AM   #5
gbermor
Enthusiast
gbermor taught Chuck Norris how to fight.gbermor taught Chuck Norris how to fight.gbermor taught Chuck Norris how to fight.gbermor taught Chuck Norris how to fight.gbermor taught Chuck Norris how to fight.gbermor taught Chuck Norris how to fight.gbermor taught Chuck Norris how to fight.gbermor taught Chuck Norris how to fight.gbermor taught Chuck Norris how to fight.gbermor taught Chuck Norris how to fight.gbermor taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kindle/SO
^this
gbermor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2011, 12:28 AM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Well you know you have a good piece of software when someone steals it I guess.

Ethically speaking the Hamstersoft people should have contacted Kovid and others announcing their intention to utilize any of the calibre code.

Saying that, I once worked on a contract project for an entrpreneur who was a professor at a major university in British Columbia. I was warned by co-workers to not leave any source code around till I was paid. I heeded this warning and was let go without payment (they thought they had the source code). After receiving several threatening phone calls, to which I responded rudely they paid me and I gave them the source code. Was not perhaps my finest hour but I needed the money.

Hamstersoft may not be able to comply with the GNU licensing because they do not have the ability to do so (copy of their sourcecode and/or rights to it).

I suspect they will not prosper.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:56 AM   #7
hakim
Connoisseur
hakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmos

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 840, Sony PRS-505
Exclamation Hamster FAQ

Quote from the Hamster FAQ:
Quote:
Hamster Free eBook Converter made by HamsterSoft and based on Calibre-engine created by Kovid Goyal and inherits all GNU GPL 3.0 restrictions.

NOTE PLEASE: Everybody may use Hamster Free eBook Converter on any computer at home, in business and government organizations without any restrictions and any amount of hosts. You don't need to register or pay for Hamster Free eBook Converter. No one needs to pay for any further updates and plugins.

Source code
hakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:19 AM   #8
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakim View Post
According to John's blog, that source code package is incomplete, and does not contain the key sections which relate to Hamstersoft's GUI or the changes they may have made to calibre.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:22 AM   #9
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Was not perhaps my finest hour but I needed the money.
I would say the opposite - it was indeed one of your finer hours. Well done on standing your ground.

(as a software developer myself).
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:53 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakim View Post
I find it is better to read the full details of the referenced article before posting, otherwise you end up posting irrelevant information.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 08-14-2011 at 07:32 AM. Reason: spelling
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:26 AM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I find it is better to read the full details of the referenced article before posting, otherwise you end up posting irreverent information.
Irreverent information is the most amusing information, don't you know?
And often the most relevant, too.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:31 AM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Irreverent
You gave me a great laugh at myself at the expense of my own spelling.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:37 PM   #13
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Leaving ethics aside, if it uses a better conversion plugin for mobi than calibre, I'm sold, if it stole the same flawed thing then I'll stick to Amazon's solution...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:36 PM   #14
hairybiker
Banned
hairybiker began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino Shine 3
Since it is M$ ONLY they will not even tempt me to try it ;-)

happy Linux user for past 5 years ;=]
hairybiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:56 PM   #15
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Leaving ethics aside, if it uses a better conversion plugin for mobi than calibre, I'm sold, if it stole the same flawed thing then I'll stick to Amazon's solution...
It uses calibre for all conversion. It's just a fancy GUI on top of calibre. I haven't looked in a bit but Kovid was completely rewriting MOBI output. I don't know if he's completed it or not.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote