Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-08-2010, 04:58 PM   #1
pizda
Enthusiast
pizda began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, iPad
Kindle3 wifi with 3g or separate?

Is the Kindle 3G WIFI always turning on both wifi and 3g or can I choose to turn on only wifi? I read on amazon that K3 wifi can work 1 month with wifi on, and K3 3g can work only 2 weeks with 3g on.

I would like to pay a little more to have the 3g for use on travel, but this is very rare so I would like to have the option for saving battery life at home etc.
pizda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:09 PM   #2
DaAfroSheenQueen
DaAfroSheenQueen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iphone 3GS, netbook
If I'm reading this correctly....

I have the K3 with wifi and 3g and when I "turn off wireless" from the menu, it turns off the 3g and the wifi. It's all or nothing. I usually keep my wireless turned off unless I've purchased something via whispernet and then I turn on for the download and then turn it back off. My battery time has been about 2-3 weeks fully charged...but then again I read about 3-4 hours per day on the thing.
DaAfroSheenQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2010, 05:43 PM   #3
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
DaAfroSheenQueen is right. It is 3G+WiFi or nothing. Even when you're on WiFi, the 3G modem is still active.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:51 PM   #4
cjottawa
Tempus fugit.
cjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Adding to what others have said:

One reason I've read for WiFi being better on batteries than 3G is that 3G modems will increase power when sensing a drop in signal strength.

I would *think* the Kindle, on WiFi, would put the 3G modem into some kind of lower-power mode or disable it completely.

Oh, Lab126? A little help here?
cjottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:56 PM   #5
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjottawa View Post
I would *think* the Kindle, on WiFi, would put the 3G modem into some kind of lower-power mode or disable it completely.
It is still on. Look at the 611 diagnostic page when you're connected to WiFi. You'll see it is still active and associated.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert