Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-08-2013, 06:10 PM   #61
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
You could also so: I don't understand those people that resell stuff... I'll keep on using it till it breaks. I won't buy it unless I want it, why would I want to get rid of it simply because something new is available?
Because sometimes, as with the Kindle Paperwhite, there is an addition that I deem to be worthwile to have. If my current device is still fine and not too old, I just sell it for as much as possible.

As long as there is nothing I'd want or need, I don't upgrade. My computer is 4,5 years old, for example. And I'm a software engineer. Go figure. (Granted, my computer from 2008 was almost at the top of the line back then, and can still get along with current day midrange systems, especially after upgrading the SSD and the graphics card. Rest is still as it was in 2008.)
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:16 PM   #62
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HYPE View Post
What's the use of keeping so many readers?
I loan out ebooks on some of my older ones, just like I might loan out a paper book.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #63
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
What's the use of keeping so many readers? I've had three but I only keep one. I take great care each time so that I can resell them for a good amount; that way, I can afford to always buy the newest model (when it's worth it).
I live to the old saying "the way is it's own reward".
Meaning: If it would be just about the reading, I still would be perfectly fine with my Sony 505 or iRex iLiad.
But for me, it's not only about getting to my goal (i. e. reading).
It equally is the fun with the gadget itself.
Of course, having dozens of units, I regret some purchases.
But those mispurchases make the champions even more rewarding.
Usually, I stick to the mispurchases: I've decided for them, I keep them.
Only exception: If a direct successor is available.
I've replaced my iPad 3 with an iPad mini and never looked back.

For now, I anxiously look forward to Microsoft Surface Pro. I already have the Surface RT and I perfectly can work Windows on my MacBook Air. I don't "need" Surface Pro - but I have to have it.
Still: I'll definitely keep Surface RT as well.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:09 PM   #64
Snarky
Snarky began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
4x Sony PRS-350 (yes, I love it that much I stocked up when the refurbs went on sale)
1x iRiver Story HD
2x iPod Touch 4th gen (iOS 4.3 + Stanza 3.1)
1x iPhone 4 (iOS 5.1.1 + Stanza 3.2)
1x iPhone 5 (iOS 6.0.1 + iBooks; last resort, usually only because it's always with me when I'm out and about)

My brother will also be giving me his iPhone 4S (iOS 5.1.1 + Stanza 3.2) when he switches to whatever iPhone's released in 2013.

Got the iRiver when it was on clearance at Target but never really liked it. The PRS-350 is my favorite reader provided I have enough light available and I have the book I want to read already loaded on the device. Otherwise, it's one of the iDevices.
Wow, 4 Sony PRS 350!!! My beloved 350 died earlier this week. I was beside myself. I am a heavy reader and the 350 had been in heavy use since I got it when it first came out. I came here to look for possible fixes but nothing worked. So I went out bought a T2 which I am not impressed at all. Makes me miss my 350 even more. Today I hunted down a T1 so I am now a little happier. My husband thinks I am nuts that I don't want the latest and greatest. Then I saw you have 4 350! You can certainly understand how much I love my 350!
Snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #65
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
What's the use of keeping so many readers?
So that one day my desk can look like this:

Last edited by ApK; 02-08-2013 at 09:32 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:40 PM   #66
Dallista
Connoisseur
Dallista doesn't litterDallista doesn't litter

Device: K3, PW
As far as I know, the K3 still allows me free 3g internet access outside of Europe, so as long as that still works, free wifi isn't available everywhere, and I don't own another device with that feature, I would never get rid of it. :-)
Dallista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:13 AM   #67
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
So that one day my desk can look like this:
Good one ApK.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #68
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
Thanks to the Flea Market here, I've been able to narrow it down to 2: Nook Glowlight and Nook HD. I am totally satisfied on both counts! I'm also the ereader provider for the rest of the family and we have two other Nook glowlights and one Nook color in the household. We used to be a big Sony family, but I find that lit screens are a no-miss feature.
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #69
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky View Post
I went out bought a T2 which I am not impressed at all. Makes me miss my 350 even more. Today I hunted down a T1 so I am now a little happier.
How interesting, that you like the T1 better than the T2. Were you able to do a side by side comparison of the screens? People have reported that the T2 has a better screen. I have never seen one. (I have a T1 and I like it). I'm hoping they produce an improved model this fall.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:35 PM   #70
Snarky
Snarky began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
How interesting, that you like the T1 better than the T2. Were you able to do a side by side comparison of the screens? People have reported that the T2 has a better screen. I have never seen one. (I have a T1 and I like it). I'm hoping they produce an improved model this fall.
Yes I actually did do comparisons. I even loaded the same book and turned pages at the same time. T2 screen seems to have a whiter background. Also the screen material itself seems to have more a matte finish. I suppose it means less finger prints and scratches showing? Oh and T2's wifi connect is a bit faster. The reading experience is the same to my untrained eyes. Nothing so noticeable like the screen between iPad 2 and 3.

All the new features are meaningless to me. I like the T1 buttons much better. I know its body is plastic but at least it looks more like the my metal 350. I like borrowing library books and download books into my reader software on PC so I really don't care about wifi. Or Facebook or Evernote.

I am also hoping that Sony step up their game and produce something better this fall!
Snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:48 AM   #71
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I loan out ebooks on some of my older ones, just like I might loan out a paper book.
I think I will use my Sony 650 in that way when I will have set everything up on the Kobo Mini.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:56 AM   #72
brandon7s
brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brandon7s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I only own one e-reader, my PaperWhite. I gave away the previous general Kindles I had (Keyboard, Touch). They are both seeing much use and that makes me happy.
brandon7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:54 PM   #73
Odins_child
Odins_child 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Odins_child 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Odins_child 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Odins_child 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Odins_child 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Odins_child 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Odins_child 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Odins_child 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Odins_child 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Odins_child 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Odins_child 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
As of right now I have two, my kindle paperwhite, and my 2nd gen kindle keyboard.
Odins_child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:14 PM   #74
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
1. Sony PRS-350 running eBook applications firmware.

2. Kindle Keyboard running Calibre Kindle Collections plug-in to enable alternate fonts.

3. Sony PRS T-1 firmware 1.0.05.11130.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:23 PM   #75
alicepattinson
Banned
alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Four, three Kindles (K1, K3, DXG) and an iPad3
WOW! that's really a lot
alicepattinson is offline   Reply With Quote