Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Legacy E-Book Devices

Notices

Old 04-19-2005, 08:30 AM   #1
Michael
Michael will become famous soon enoughMichael will become famous soon enoughMichael will become famous soon enoughMichael will become famous soon enoughMichael will become famous soon enoughMichael will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook
Bookeen announces the Cybook at 399$

Sent in by Michael for Bookeen...

Bookeen's mission has always been to democratize the access to digital content by proposing the optimal e-reading platform. This new price is a great step for us and we are very happy to reach the PDA price range.

The Cybook has been designed to provide the best e-reading experience. Thanks to its bright and contrasted page size display and its sleek design, the Cybook is the ideal companion to discover the pleasure of digital reading.
The Cybook is a Windows CE dedicated ebook reader which supports Mobipocket encrypted ebooks but also TXT, HTML or RTF using uBook reader.

You can connect your device to your computer using USB, IR or network to exchange data or synchronize your Mobipocket enews. You can easily carry with you thousands of ebooks on a CF storage card.

The PDF format support is being actively worked on and a beta version should be released in the next few weeks. We hope we will be able to give you screenshots in a near future.

For more information, we invite you to visit www.bookeen.com and our ebook store www.ubibooks.com

Best regards to all,

Michael for Bookeen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cybook.jpg
Views:	828
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	607  

Last edited by BobR; 04-19-2005 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Moved To Front Page
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 12:44 PM   #2
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Good price considering its large screen. I am tempted...
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 04:08 PM   #3
PhysicsTeacher
PhysicsTeacher began at the beginning.

Device: CyBook
Large type (CyBook/Mobi)?

I recently purchased a CyBook for my mother, who has macular degeneration and requires about 48 point type to read comfortably.

The UBook reader supports large type, up to 64 points, but it does not support digital rights management.

The Mobi reader does support DRM, but I can't figure out any way to change its built-in font sizes, which seem to max out at around 16 or 18 points.

Am I overlooking something here?

Bob

P.S. Other than this issue, the CyBook has put a big smile on my mother's face! Now she can read in her favorite easy chair, or at the hair dresser's. This is a woman who has always avoided computers completely, even bank ATMs, and she was comfortably reading her CyBook the same day she received it.
PhysicsTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 03:27 AM   #4
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Bob, see my response here. You may want to try to install another font that comes perhaps in a larger size.
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 08:49 PM   #5
CINCNORAD
Enthusiast
CINCNORAD began at the beginning.

Device: Ebookwise//Sony Reader//Nokia N800
I love that thing! Except for the battery life.
CINCNORAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 09:28 AM   #6
bookeen_lp
bookeen_lp began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
Special Vision Version for the Cybook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicsTeacher
I recently purchased a CyBook for my mother, who has macular degeneration and requires about 48 point type to read comfortably.

The UBook reader supports large type, up to 64 points, but it does not support digital rights management.

The Mobi reader does support DRM, but I can't figure out any way to change its built-in font sizes, which seem to max out at around 16 or 18 points.

Am I overlooking something here?

Bob

P.S. Other than this issue, the CyBook has put a big smile on my mother's face! Now she can read in her favorite easy chair, or at the hair dresser's. This is a woman who has always avoided computers completely, even bank ATMs, and she was comfortably reading her CyBook the same day she received it.
Dear Bob,

We are very happy to learn about your feedback on the Cybook and your mother.

We have developed an additional Cybook version of "Mobipocket Reader" with large and even very large characters (internal code name: "Mobipocket Vision") as well as larger icons. Please get in touch with us at <contact@bookeen.com> so we can send you the procedure to install this special version on your Cybook.

For Cybook related messages, a Cybook Yahoo Group was recently created at <groups.yahoo.com/group/cybook/>.

All the best,
Laurent
bookeen_lp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 02:00 PM   #7
WarStrider
WarStrider began at the beginning.

Device: Rocket Reader Pro
That looks sweet. Huge memory capability, I believe Compact Flash goes up to 4 GB now. The big screen, 10' across at 800X600, but what colour depth does the screen have?
WarStrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 12:07 AM   #8
pitcher23
Zealot
pitcher23 began at the beginning.

I agree with CINCNORAD that the Battery life is so so. On a device that size I wish they had a battery similar to the one in the Ebookwise which lasts about 3 times as long. I know the larger screen and it being in color has a larger drain on battery life but I was hoping it would last longer.

One thing that will significantly reduce the battery drain would be to copy the books onto the device and not read from the compact flash card. That PC card is a battery hog.

Any chance of a backup program being developed? I hate losing all of my bookmarks in the event that it runs out of juice before I recharge it.
pitcher23 is offline   Reply With Quote