Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 10-30-2011, 11:25 AM   #1
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Best epub reader/library manager - recommendations?

I am off this morning to pick-up a HTC-Flyer which will be my first Android device. I am an avid reader and I can see there are many reader apps available. So I'm looking for advice as far as the apps that would best fit my particular situation.

The HTC-Flyer runs Android 2.3. I currently manage my e-book library using calibre. I have about 500 e-books and would really like to manage my epubs in one application, and I would like to be able to continue to use calibre to manage my e-books, if at all possible. So, if anybody has had experience with the Android calibre app I would appreciate information on that as well. (I'm not exactly sure, what the Android app does.)

I will be using the Kindle app, but most of my books are epubs. I would like to have as many customization options, like backgrounds, margins etc,. The ability to directly download from public domain and epub sites would also be nice. I would like to avoid having a Kobo, Sony, Nook etc., app for every store and going through the "now where did I buy that?" exercise.

So if anybody has suggestions, I would be greatly appreciative. Looking forward to entering the world of Android.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:48 AM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
My Android phone came with Aldiko book reader preinstalled and I must admit I never even tried any of the other options available (save for the Kindle app), since it worked just fine for me...
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:09 PM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Mantano reader app. There's a free version now that is supported by ads. If you like it and don't want the ads, buy it.

https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:28 PM   #4
thafrogggg
Rabid Book Weasel
thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Acer Iconia A500 Tablet (lovin' it!!)
I like also like Aldiko, but not the new version. The new version is not as stable on my Android 3.1 device as my as the older version. I also like the GUI in the old version. I am glad I saved a copy of the apk for the old version, and I don't let market update it no matter what.

It also has some nice formatting options that let me see the pages how I like them to be laid out.

The only thing I wish it had is a true "book" look layout with animated page turns. That would be perfect. I guess that is a quirk of mine, but I do like to have it in an e-reader.

Mantano is also a nice reader. The developers are making steady progress and updates on it and seem to be listening to their customers.

Also surprisingly, I like the Nook reader apk. It does not have the formatting options that Aldiko has, but it does have a true "book" layout with animated page turns that I like.
thafrogggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:37 PM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by thafrogggg View Post
Also surprisingly, I like the Nook reader apk. It does not have the formatting options that Aldiko has, but it does have a true "book" layout with animated page turns that I like.
Yeah, +1 for the Nook app.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:08 PM   #6
Eskarina
Zealot
Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.

Device: NOOKColor (sdCM7), Kindle 4
The "best" epub reader depends on how many books you want to keep/handle on your device and how you like to read. If you want to keep and manage lots of books on your device, since you already use Calibre, I agree with the others on this thread that you should go with either Aldiko or Mantano as they both have really good library management systems (Mantano's is probably more extensive) and recognize tags. If you like to highlight and take notes on your books, I think Mantano edges out Aldiko for that.

Best thing is that they are both free for you to try out. Also check out the thread for a huge list of android ebook readers for more suggestions.

Quote:
if anybody has had experience with the Android calibre app I would appreciate information on that as well.
I believe that the Calibre app allows you to access your Calibre library online with dropbox. I don't use it but use the Calibre content server with Aldiko to browse and download books from my library. Mantano should be able to do this too once the developers iron out the bugs.

Quote:
The only thing I wish it had is a true "book" look layout with animated page turns. That would be perfect. I guess that is a quirk of mine, but I do like to have it in an e-reader.
I used to like page turn effects and would go to the Apple store to drool over the iPad's ereader app but now, I find them distracting. The one ebup reader that comes closest in my mind to a "true book" look is Cool reader with its paperback book background. Unlike Moon+ and fbreader which erase all formatting, Cool reader renders text pretty close to publisher's defaults (an absolute must for me) while still allowing you to use your preferred font.

Quote:
Yeah, +1 for the Nook app.
I like the nook app too but I find that I miss the ability to adjust brightness by sliding down the left edge of the screen.
Eskarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:51 PM   #7
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

First thank you all for your insights. I showered you all with karma. I did review the sticky regarding reading apps and found that very helpful.

It looks like Aldiko, Mantano and possibly Blue Fire Reader (from sticky article) may be the best fit for epubs. Since the investment cost is minimal, I think I will play around with each one, download a book or two, check out the options, and then decide before importing the entire library.

Been a long day, the Flyer is charging now. I'll get to do some reading tonight hopefully and start the new learning curve tomorrow.

My wife says it's not good to go to bed angry
Old 10-30-2011, 09:02 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrII View Post
First thank you all for your insights. I showered you all with karma. I did review the sticky regarding reading apps and found that very helpful.

It looks like Aldiko, Mantano and possibly Blue Fire Reader (from sticky article) may be the best fit for epubs. Since the investment cost is minimal, I think I will play around with each one, download a book or two, check out the options, and then decide before importing the entire library.

Been a long day, the Flyer is charging now. I'll get to do some reading tonight hopefully and start the new learning curve tomorrow.

My wife says it's not good to go to bed angry
I second Mantano but my backup reader app is Cool Reader
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:28 PM   #9
fbrII
F. BluDevil

Quote:
I second Mantano but my backup reader app is Cool Reader
I read some good stuff in regards to Cool Reader but it doesn't look it supports loading books with Adobe DRM?
Old 10-30-2011, 11:41 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrII View Post
I read some good stuff in regards to Cool Reader but it doesn't look it supports loading books with Adobe DRM?
No it doesn't. The majority of my books are DRM free so I didn't think about that. Mantano does though.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote