Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-13-2010, 04:49 AM   #1
mato1981
mato1981 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Can PRS-650 display Central European characters?

Hi,

I'm choosing between Sony PRS-650 and Kindle 3. I'm more prone to Sony, because of the smaller size and touch screen and more formats support.
Right before clicking to Proceed an order I found here in the forums, that PRS-650 does have troubles with unicode support.

Does it mean that it won't display CE characters like ľ š č ť ž ý á é ?
Thank you for the response.

mato
mato1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:54 AM   #2
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Mato, embedded fonts should show up. What sort of files do you have? I have a PRS-505 (the older Sony model) and my reader displays CE characters (ž, š, ć, đ). I convert files in RTF over to PDFs, using free software, and scale down the paper size so that it fits my reader (or I bump up the font).
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:35 AM   #3
emai7s2
Connoisseur
emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.

Device: Palm & PPC
A co-worker would like to get an ereader for two purposes: to check out books from the public library, and to study Turkish. I know the Sonys work with books from the public library - do they also provide out-of-the-box support for Turkish characters? I don't know what kind of documents she plans to use - I guess it could be text, Word, RTF or PDF....
emai7s2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:00 AM   #4
mato1981
mato1981 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Latinandgreek, thank you for the answer. Most of the files are PDF. I intend to read mostly english books, but I'd want to hit a local language book from time to time as well.

The last concern is the price, I can almost have two kindle's for price of one prs-650. Although i'm still on the side of Sony, i'd like to get more arguments for Sony to make the final decision.

Thanks,
mato

Edit: I've read some more forums, where people say, that this device is not intended for East/Central Europe, Russia and other countries, since it really doesn't support our special characters.

Last edited by mato1981; 10-13-2010 at 06:13 AM.
mato1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:12 AM   #5
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mato1981 View Post
Latinandgreek, thank you for the answer. Most of the files are PDF. I intend to read mostly english books, but I'd want to hit a local language book from time to time as well.

The last concern is the price, I can almost have two kindle's for price of one prs-650. Although i'm still on the side of Sony, i'd like to get more arguments for Sony to make the final decision.

Thanks,
mato
No problem. If you can, load up your files on an SD card and try them out on a Sony reader (on a friend's reader, or at a store if you have one near you that sells the product.) If you are really concerned, I can try a file for you on my reader. If it works on the 505, it should work on the 650. As far as know, the Kindle is not very good for PDF - I don't think that it has reflow, only zoom, and the Sony zoom seems much better from what I've seen from reviews on youtube.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:34 AM   #6
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess

Here are reviews for Kindle 3 handling PDFs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlZ9cqjzOik

here is a sony review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co5bPVY95DY

Finally, here is a comparison of the two from the same reviewer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtrKo5UWpco

I think that the Kindle 3 is a great device for people who want to download a lot of novels from the Amazon bookstore - I would buy one, if I could justify getting two new readers to myself. For people reading a lot of PDFs or who plan to take out library books, I think the Sony is a better choice. Also, I like that the Sony can handle rtf - I use my reader a lot to go over typed class notes. I also like the look of the Sony reader a lot more than the Kindle, especially the metal case. I think that you would be happy with either one, but I'd go with the Sony (I plan on upgrading my 505 to either the 650 or the 950.) I wouldn't mind having a Kindle as well, but between the two devices for my uses the Sony is a better choice. Also, it comes with 12 dictionaries. I read a lot in foreign languages, so this is a big plus for me.

regarding the landscape view on the Sony vs. the Kindle (as mentioned in the youtube review) I actually like that the Sony duplicates the last sentence, so in my book that's a plus. To each his own.