Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-11-2010, 12:42 AM   #1
Merikus
Merikus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Kindle 3: Page Turn Noise?

Hi all,

I recently got a Kindle 3, and am incredibly happy with it. However, whenever I turn a page, I hear a barely audible swishing sound that corresponds to the page refresh. It's a very quiet noise, but noticeable when I'm in a quiet room.

I guess my question is, is this normal for an eInk screen, or is this the kind of thing where I should be asking Amazon for a replacement?

Thanks for any help you all can give!
Merikus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:49 AM   #2
anmend43
anmend43 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
I hear absolutely nothing like that on mine one refresh. I just put my ear up to it to check. Maybe it is defective in some way.
And for those who don't have a kindle yet and are worried about the click. It is barely noticable. I'd say a paper book page turning makes 100x more annoying a sounds, esp. when you get that almost rrrrrippp-ing sounds when it turns. lol
anmend43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:49 AM   #3
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I can hear the slight swoosh you mention if I go to a very quiet room and press my ear right to the screen. I'd would never have known it was there if you hadn't mentioned it. Under normal operations I can't hear a thing.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:54 AM   #4
daxmon87
daxmon87 began at the beginning.

Mine does a swishing sound too. I can only hear it when I'm in a VERY quiet room. It's not even that loud. Just a slight swish. I guess it's the way the technology works.
daxmon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:55 AM   #5
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
The only thing I can hear is the click of the page turn buttons which are not very loud at all. But then I haven't got great hearing.

I do remember someone else saying about the noise of the Kindle 2 screen about a year ago so it's possible that some people can hear this and others can't.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:20 AM   #6
SpeckledJim
Enthusiast
SpeckledJim began at the beginning.

Device: K3 WiFi
I've noticed this with my K3 as well. It's very faint. My laptop does it too in certain situations.
SpeckledJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:02 AM   #7
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I have not heard it either but I have very bad hearing myself.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:41 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

I think I can here it very faintly with my K3 but not with my Sony PRS-350, but it is so faint that I'm not positive. Of course I've got a fan running and my computer desktop running nearby so it would be difficult to here. I'll try it out later when I go outside to read.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:14 PM   #9
Merikus
Merikus began at the beginning.

Thank you all for your replies on this issue. I decided to call customer service to inquire about this, and was told it is a "normal noise added to signify page turning." The agent implied that you could turn it off with a switch on the Kindle, but she wasn't too helpful in specifics.

I think daxmon87's point about it just being a normal part of the technology makes a lot of sense, so I think I'm going to just have to get used to it.
Merikus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:51 PM   #10
Top Tomato
Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merikus View Post
Thank you all for your replies on this issue. I decided to call customer service to inquire about this, and was told it is a "normal noise added to signify page turning." The agent implied that you could turn it off with a switch on the Kindle, but she wasn't too helpful in specifics.

I think daxmon87's point about it just being a normal part of the technology makes a lot of sense, so I think I'm going to just have to get used to it.
Well, if she's right and it's an "added" noise, you can turn down the volume on the kindle using the volume control at the bottom left of the device.
Top Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:11 PM   #11
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merikus View Post
The agent doesn't have a clue as that noise isn't something they added to signify a page turn. The noise is from the power supply circuitry inside the Kindle. It is in a low power state normally so most things are powered down but when you want to change the page it has to wake up and generate the high (from the point of view of the CPU and other components) voltage necessary to update the eInk screen.

You can't avoid it unfortunately as its just how it works for the Kindle. Other eBook readers with a different design may have the same noise. I'm not sure. It is pretty quiet anyway and I can only hear it if the Kindle is up next to my ear.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:53 PM   #12
Techtistic
Techtistic began at the beginning.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I hear a sort of hissing sound coming from the speaker grills whenever the e-ink changes. Personally, I find it quite distracting since I am usually reading in bed and it's very quiet.
Techtistic is offline   Reply With Quote