Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-29-2013, 11:37 PM   #1
layers
layers began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Literature to help learn French

I am trying to find any reading material that would help me utilize my French-English dictionaries on my e-reader. I have basic French skills, able to understand billboards when visiting Montreal, but I wish I could understand the French channels on TV (they have much better movies).

I was thinking that any children's book with illustrations would work. Or a comic in French. Or some magazine that helps you learn while reading articles? (like that German magazine, I think it was called Deutsche Perfekt )

Does anybody know of any material that might help me?
layers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I once took an applied linguistics class where I had to read Alexandre Dumas pere The Count of Monte Cristo - Le Comte de Monte-Cristo in French while listening to the French audio book. I don't know how much that would actually help you with your French, but I did find it a very enjoyable language lesson.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I created a simple bilingual French-English ePub version of The Three Musketeers that you might find helpful.
You can download it from the MR Library.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:22 PM   #4
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
One of the books quite often used to help with French reading is Le Petit Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.

I'm not sure if it's too simple for your level of French comprehension, but in case it happens to be a good start, this is in the public domain - and it's a charming story.

Here's the link in our MR library: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51483
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:45 AM   #5
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
+1 for Le petit prince

This is a good way to start reading in any foreign language. Harry Potter is also amongst my favorites, if you can easily find a French translation that is. Obviously, this isn't actual literature.
If literature is an important asset to you, can you give us more details on what kind of books you enjoy to read?
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2013, 05:15 PM   #6
layers
layers began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Thanks a lot guys and girls

No, my brain isn't big enough to appreciate literature - I just like getting addicted to page-turners and funnies.

Is there also anything like a bilingual ebook? something like http://www.readingonline.org/article...it/figure1.jpg
layers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:57 AM   #7
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by layers View Post
Is there also anything like a bilingual ebook? something like http://www.readingonline.org/article...it/figure1.jpg
A Russian developer has created a free parallel books app for Windows and Android, Aglona Reader.

He also offers a couple of free bilingual books for download. Unfortunately, none of them has French as source or target languages, but you could theoretically create your own bilingual books with the app.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:56 PM   #8
straygator
Connoisseur
straygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle
I'm in a similar situation. I'll second Le Petit Prince and Harry Potter. I've enjoyed French translations of the Narnia books and several Agatha Christie mysteries as well. Not free, but fun and effective.
straygator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:56 AM   #9
barutanseijin
Nxfgrrjks
barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: aura hd
The thing about French and English is that there are more cognates in more scholarly prose. For anglophones, BDs & novels can be more difficult to read than sociology books & Charlie Hebdo more difficult than le Monde diplomatique.
barutanseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:28 PM   #10
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
What about reading some of the Maigret books by Georges Simenon, assuming you might enjoy mysteries and detective stories? Not great literature of course, but enjoyable and you would keep reading to find out "whodunnit".
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote