Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-17-2021, 01:59 PM   #46
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
It's technically possible, but very often I want to remove blank lines, fix punctuation or something else, so I use Calibre to manage ALL my ebooks on all devices.
Also Flash memory and Websites are both ephemeral, so I prefer to have backups on multiple HDDs. Ones that are not shingled, hammred or using helium. The kind that last nearly forever powered down in a drawer.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 02:29 PM   #47
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodRiquez View Post
I ended up with a Kobo Clara & love it. (Far more than expected actually!)

I am just returning to answer my own question: which is that the KOBO alone can not be used on Project Gutenberg because the website does not function well enough to navigate or be usable. So the only option is to use a computer & transfer via USB.
I can’t answer for your particular experience of course, but I can only reiterate that I’ve not had a problem downloading directly from Project Gutenberg to my Aura One. I’m reading one now, in fact.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 09:07 PM   #48
RodRiquez
RodRiquez began at the beginning.

Device: none
hmm. there is no menu or search bar displayed. when i scroll down a little I can find the search page link - when attempt to use the search page everything goes blank.

edit: ahh! I finally managed to get one now. I used the browse link lower down, navigating the categories, eventually it worked (for some reason clicking "browse" had no effect & it took about 10 tries, the page seems to refresh but not go anywhere)
It was quite a slow process with several errantly clicked neighbouring links. A shame the search still does not seem to do anything.

Last edited by RodRiquez; 01-17-2021 at 09:26 PM.
RodRiquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 09:27 PM   #49
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodRiquez View Post
hmm. there is no menu or search bar displayed. when i scroll down a little I can find the search page link - when attempt to use the search page everything goes blank.
The menu doesn't seem to work properly. There is something there, but, it isn't displaying the search box.

Going to the search page via the link worked for me. The search is slow which could be the site or the device.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 09:45 PM   #50
RodRiquez
RodRiquez began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Going to the search page via the link worked for me. The search is slow which could be the site or the device.
It absolutely won't work for me - I tried yesterday several times & today as I reply to you.
One of two things happens:
• I can enter text in the search box, enter on the keypad & then click search on PG - the page goes blank.
• I enter text in the search box & when i touch 'enter' immediately get a message saying "408 time out, your browser didnt send a complete request in time"
RodRiquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:08 AM   #51
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
Have you tried the same WiFi point to Gutenberg on a tablet, phone and-or a laptop?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote