Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-10-2010, 10:56 AM   #1
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
RIM to release tablet this Nov. and the name is ....drum roll please...

BlackPad

Creative isn't it

Looks a lot like their Storm phone line but much bigger. I'm hopping they ditch their Surepress technology and just keep it a simple touch screen device.

I suspect this device is going to run their BlackBerry OS6 version just released earlier this month. While that OS is not so revolutionary, it is an attempt to stay competitive. However one of the key features this OS provides over Android and iOS is the seamless integration to it's contacts and social Media. Another key feature will be data crunch. RIM has put a lot of effort in reducing the bandwidth load. So for those in data tier plans, like AT&T, this device will be viable option.

News from engadet via the Apple Daily.

Quote:
Bloomberg's sources, Apple Daily claims that Quanta won the bid to manufacture the tablet with plans to ramp up for 2 million units starting in September (for a November retail launch) with another 8 million planned for 2011. The price? $499 is the target, naturally. (more via engadet...)
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:24 AM   #2
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Should have called it the "Jobs." After Steve, I mean...
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2010, 11:39 AM   #3
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Uh oh.

I've done pretty well with BB, but unfortunately from what I can tell it's a difficult OS for app development. I'm not too confident in this offering.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:29 PM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Uh oh.

I've done pretty well with BB, but unfortunately from what I can tell it's a difficult OS for app development. I'm not too confident in this offering.
Yes, even though they've standardized on Java, a very easy platform to develop. They've created a very unstable and difficult to use API for their OS level calls. One thing that both Google and Apple did when they made their API is make them very easy to use.

I do think that RIM has all the right things in place to make the product successful --by their standards, not Apples. I'm thinking this tablet is geared to the office space and not the consumer space. Built with it's security and already existing productivity apps I think this tablet can stand on it's own.

But for me, I think I'd probably go for the Android tablet or an iPad before I'd go with BB. But one can only make that decision when the product is out.

=X=
Old 08-10-2010, 11:55 PM   #5
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Creative isn't it
Terrible name. Just terrible.

Quote:
Looks a lot like their Storm phone line but much bigger. I'm hopping they ditch their Surepress technology and just keep it a simple touch screen device.
I'm sure. In fact, they've already ditched it. RIM's latest touchscreen offering, the Torch, uses the standard capacitive touchscreen.

Quote:
I suspect this device is going to run their BlackBerry OS6 version just released earlier this month. While that OS is not so revolutionary, it is an attempt to stay competitive.
A weak attempt. I've read the reviews for the Torch (which also uses OS6) on CNET and Engadget, and they weren't particularly impressed. It's a step up from the previous OS, but still not up to par with the likes of iOS or Android.

What's up with all these companies making devices to compete in a market that Apple brought to the mainstream? I mean, if you always wanted to make a tablet, and have some fresh, new ideas that will make it a worthy endeavour, and can do it justice... then go ahead. Don't make one just because the iPad is a success, and you want to jump on the bandwagon.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2010, 07:03 AM   #6
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
What's up with all these companies making devices to compete in a market that Apple brought to the mainstream?
Mainstream means huge cash revenues. Plus, probably some of the competitors do actually have great ideas that Apple didn't, and competition will heighten the product's quality. I don't mind bandwagon-jumpers if they make good products. In fact, early-adopters and pioneers are the ones who eat the ***t. Microsoft can tell, as far as Tablet PC's are concerned.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:27 AM   #7
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
The rumor is that it would be an android based device and not Rim's own operating system
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Bla...let,11033.html
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:08 AM   #8
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
The rumor is that it would be an android based device and not Rim's own operating system
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Bla...let,11033.html
That would be pretty shocking.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:36 AM   #9
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
I'm sure. In fact, they've already ditched it. RIM's latest touchscreen offering, the Torch, uses the standard capacitive touchscreen.
I hope they do, but the Torch is just a different form factor, like the Pre. The proof will be if the Storm 3, a device w/o a physical keyboard, comes out without SurePress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
A weak attempt. I've read the reviews for the Torch (which also uses OS6) on CNET and Engadget, and they weren't particularly impressed. It's a step up from the previous OS, but still not up to par with the likes of iOS or Android.
Yeah it's hard to tell I don't know if it's the OS or the hardware. One thing that both Android and iPhone phones have done is released quality hardware with a solid OS. The OS6 looks nice, but the Torch HW is terrible.

RIM once had a reputation with releasing state of the art quality software, but as of late they have not been able to deliver.

=X=
Old 08-11-2010, 11:38 AM   #10
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
That would be pretty shocking.
Agreed, this is a pleasant surprise for me. RIM makes solid hardware, their OS is what has been lacking.

Here we get the best of both worlds, I just hope they don't botch this up.

=X=
Old 08-11-2010, 11:43 AM   #11
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Agreed, this is a pleasant surprise for me. RIM makes solid hardware, their OS is what has been lacking.

Here we get the best of both worlds, I just hope they don't botch this up.

=X=
One thing from that article that definitely makes sense to me: that RIM will provide 3G thru tethering from Blackberry phones. That is a great way to provide some brand synergy (and something I really wish Apple had done with the iPad)
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:59 PM   #12
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
One thing from that article that definitely makes sense to me: that RIM will provide 3G thru tethering from Blackberry phones. That is a great way to provide some brand synergy (and something I really wish Apple had done with the iPad)
Ha Ha, funny how people see things differently. My first reaction to that news was that is a terrible idea, it's going to backfire on RIM. It would be a great option to have but a terrible solution if it's the only way to have 3G.

In theory it sounds great in practice it's not. Tethering drains your phone battery like you wouldn't believe. If you tether wirelessly you have two wireless signals going out on your phone. If you tether with a USB cable now you don't drain your battery, but you got your phone hanging of of this tablet device.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:59 PM   #13
lacymarie7575
reading about reading ;->
lacymarie7575 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600, BB
why blackPAD...damn RIM...where is the originality in that?? Oh well...i will always love my BB
lacymarie7575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:02 PM   #14
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Should have called it the "Jobs." After Steve, I mean...
I like the name iBerry more
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote