Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-21-2010, 08:25 AM   #1
Tblossom
Enthusiast
Tblossom began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Dx
Advice on a reader sought....Please

I need the light weight portability plus my terrible eyesight requires something without glare that is easily readable in shadows as well as partial sunlight.
I would like the device to be able to handle txt and html at a minimum, any other formats will be a plus. Also, I would like it to have an audio capability for my audio books.
I can´t think of anything else I require it to have. oh yes, an internal storage capacity of about half to one gigabyte.
Thank you for your help.
T
Tblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:58 AM   #2
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
plus my terrible eyesight requires something without glare that is easily readable in shadows as well as partial sunlight.
Then, wait to get one of the next gen, better contrasted, screen.

Where are you living ?
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2010, 09:07 AM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
If the audio books are audible format you're pretty much talking Kindle when it comes to eInk readers.
If you're talking LCD, there is a client for iPad and a "beta" version of an audible client for Android.

Could you clarify the "readable in shadows as well as partial sunlight" part?

Do you mean outdoors, in the shade as well as indirect sunlight or do you mean "readable in very dim indoor light" as well as "outdoors as long as its not high noon"?

Basically, you need to decide if you want a reflective screen without backlighting (eInk) that looks better the more light there is or an LCD screen that is brightly lit so it is readable in absolute darkness but suffers dramatically in the face of natural lighting.

There is a third alternative that isn't readily available just yet in the form of Pixel Qi displays that are LCD panels that can be switched to an outdoor-readable reflective mode.

The final option isn't at *all* cheap and suffers from battery life issues (2-4 hours, max) but it does meet all your requirements; a Tablet PC with outdoors-readable screen like the Motion Computing tablets.

A bit of detail, please?
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:31 AM   #4
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
I use a small mp3-player for music and audiobooks.

To read I use my small Bookeen Opus. Nice and very crisp display (but small) that is easy to read in the sun as well as in bed at night.

From what you've said, this ought to suit you as well.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:12 AM   #5
Tblossom
Enthusiast

Readable

So far from what I ´ve heard and read it sounds like eink is my best option.
That being so, I thank you for your coaching but I still must ask which devises you would suggest so I can compare them in the mobiread wiki for e-readers and then try to find a way to purchase it. As I live in Germany and readers except for Kindle don´t seem to be very popular here, yet.
Advert
Old 07-21-2010, 03:20 PM   #6
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Assuming that you live in Germany and you need to reproduce MP3, I'd recommend you Pocketbook 301. You have locally-based support (there are German PB representatives in this very forum), and the firmware can certainly handle TXT and HTML quite well, aside of a myriad of other ones. It has a lot of really big font sizes for DRM-less formats (like the ones you use) so you don't have to worry about your eyesight. Plus, it has 512 MB of internal capacity (I'd say around 300 MB in reality, counting the firmware) and you can expand it with SD cards.

If you can give up the audiobook playing capacity, you can have a Pocketbook 360, with very similar features but with a smaller screen size (5 inches) and a lovely ergonomy.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:11 AM   #7
Tblossom
Enthusiast

Thank you!!!!

Someone in my family just solved the problem by sending me a Kindle DX