Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-17-2017, 09:50 PM   #61
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I don't suppose you bought an extended warranty? Did they do one for the Oasis?

Could you ring Amazon and just say the lines appeared suddenly and see if they will replace it, I assume it is less than a year old. No need to mention what caused them, after all they did appear suddenly.
Three of four years ago I loaned a Paperwhite to a neighbor who returned it with a badly scratched screen. I called Amazon hoping for a discount on a replacement but they insisted on replacing it under warranty even though I explained it was a user problem. They overnighted it to me, even though I explained that it was a spare and I was in no rush.

Amazon is just like that. At least they were that time. You don't have to lie to them to get good treatment.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:03 AM   #62
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
Three of four years ago I loaned a Paperwhite to a neighbor who returned it with a badly scratched screen. I called Amazon hoping for a discount on a replacement but they insisted on replacing it under warranty even though I explained it was a user problem. They overnighted it to me, even though I explained that it was a spare and I was in no rush.

Amazon is just like that. At least they were that time. You don't have to lie to them to get good treatment.

Barry
I would have replaced the neighbor.

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2017, 03:23 PM   #63
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I don't suppose you bought an extended warranty? Did they do one for the Oasis?

Could you ring Amazon and just say the lines appeared suddenly and see if they will replace it, I assume it is less than a year old. No need to mention what caused them, after all they did appear suddenly.
They don't ask *anything* for the extended warranty. It's really a misnomer: it's an insurance policy allowing up to three replacements for any reason at all, up to and including pure whim: you have to send the old one, or the pieces of it, back within a month of getting the new one or they charge you for it. (The replacement may well be refurbished and might have little niggles like a dead pixel or two, but it'll work, which is generally not true of the one you sent back.)

It's a waste of money for the cheap Kindles, but for the Oasis: £40 to replace a £270 reader, multiple times? I leapt at it.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 03:47 PM   #64
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I would have replaced the neighbor.

I did replace the neighbor.
Only to have someone worse move in.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 03:48 PM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Ah, now I understand: I should have been using my Kobo.

(Jon, you may step in now.)

First off, that looks like a screen controller failure and the Oasis was a poor choice for Amazon to design and sell and you fell for it hook, nose, and stinker.

As for your Kobo, yes you should have been using that instead. The Kobo gives you more of an exciting reading experience and you don't get sleepy no matter how good or not the book is. The letters are easy to see and the words pop with excitement. You get so into the book, you can't fall asleep or drop it due to a really boring reading experience. The Oasis leaves you feeling bored and drowsy. The Bookerly font is too much a lightweight so on any Kindle, your eyes get tired trying to see the letters. Even if you are reading a really great book, the Oasis makes you bored and sleepy. Amazon designed the Oasis this way so you'd read, become sleepy, drop it and be gullible enough to buy another. Amazon priced the Oasis so high because of the sleep drop technology they secretly added to it

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-19-2017 at 03:51 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2017, 05:33 PM   #66
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
They don't ask *anything* for the extended warranty. It's really a misnomer: it's an insurance policy allowing up to three replacements for any reason at all, up to and including pure whim: you have to send the old one, or the pieces of it, back within a month of getting the new one or they charge you for it. (The replacement may well be refurbished and might have little niggles like a dead pixel or two, but it'll work, which is generally not true of the one you sent back.)

It's a waste of money for the cheap Kindles, but for the Oasis: £40 to replace a £270 reader, multiple times? I leapt at it.
Depends if you're prone to breaking readers or not. If there's a less than 1 in 7 chance you'll break it, the odds suggest you'd be financially better off not buying the extended warranty. I must have had more than a dozen eInk devices over the last 11 years, and have never broken one.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 06:24 PM   #67
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Depends if you're prone to breaking readers or not. If there's a less than 1 in 7 chance you'll break it, the odds suggest you'd be financially better off not buying the extended warranty. I must have had more than a dozen eInk devices over the last 11 years, and have never broken one.
That is in general true of all extra cost warranty extensions. They are usually not worth anywhere near what you pay for them.

If a person wishes a warranty extension on a purchase, they are better off making the purchase through a bank account that bundles into their services warranty extensions.
(Often, that means using the bank issued credit card.)

{rant}
I almost wrote: "offers no additional cost warranty extensions" but that is misleading.
There is no such thing as a "Free Lunch", your bank is only not breaking out the cost of that service as a line item on your account statement.
{/rant}
Old 04-20-2017, 09:53 AM   #68
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I think a cover should completely cover an ebook reader, even when reading. One's roof doesn't fold back when going to bed, does it? The roof completely covers a house, if I'm not mistaken.

However, I'll await some thoughts from Jon on covers, as he's the expert, before succumbing to an emotional outburst.
Perhaps putting it inside of a klein bottle would protect it.

The problems involved in holding a transparent, four dimensional object above your face should minimize the number of such accidents.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:56 PM   #69
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I do like extended warranties and I have them for all my ereaders, although with the cheaper devices I buy from John Lewis who include an extra year and give two years on all policies. I have never claimed on the Voyage (we have two) but I have claimed on the kindle keyboard and older ereaders. In fact my stunningly good PW2 3G was actually a warranty replacement for a Kindle Keyboard 3G. That was certainly my lucky day.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:21 AM   #70
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Agreed, as I've never broken any smartphone, tablet, eReader, laptop, etc. I'm very careful, and I don't have small children or brain-dead teenagers hanging around. However, devices sometimes die on their own without being smashed by the owner/operator. Even still, out of all my devices over the past 20 years or so I can only remember one iPad failing prior to its normal life expectancy, and that was the original iPad 1. But it failed within the normal warranty period. I've found that if a device is going to fail due to a manufacturing fault, it will likely do so within the normal warranty period. I'm a firm believer of never purchasing an extended protection plan. It simply is a waste of money in my case.

Last edited by jswinden; 04-21-2017 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:14 PM   #71
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
First off, that looks like a screen controller failure and the Oasis was a poor choice for Amazon to design and sell and you fell for it hook, nose, and stinker.

As for your Kobo, yes you should have been using that instead. The Kobo gives you more of an exciting reading experience and you don't get sleepy no matter how good or not the book is. The letters are easy to see and the words pop with excitement. You get so into the book, you can't fall asleep or drop it due to a really boring reading experience. The Oasis leaves you feeling bored and drowsy. The Bookerly font is too much a lightweight so on any Kindle, your eyes get tired trying to see the letters. Even if you are reading a really great book, the Oasis makes you bored and sleepy. Amazon designed the Oasis this way so you'd read, become sleepy, drop it and be gullible enough to buy another. Amazon priced the Oasis so high because of the sleep drop technology they secretly added to it

Hook, nose and stinker! [Ouch! That's a good one!]

Jon, I want a reader. Not popcorn!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 12:25 AM   #72
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Jon, I want a reader. Not popcorn!
I had an auto accident several months ago.
Currently in negotiations with the insurance companies.
We have not yet settled, they want to buy me a used skateboard and I want a brand new limousine.

Once I have taken care of my own troubles, I would be glad to mediate your dispute with Amazon.
One impossible task only deserves to be followed by another impossible task.

Last edited by knc1; 04-22-2017 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:41 AM   #73
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
In my case, I always consider if it is economically viable to just replace an object if it should break outside of warranty. If not, I'll get the extended warranty or something like it.

€129 Kindle: Nope... would just replace it.
€200 KA1: Nope....
€2150 workstation class laptop: hell yeah. I'd not even consider it if it didn't come with a 5 year next business day warranty.
My (digital) piano has 10 years warranty straight from the manufacturer, just like most acoustics, so you can imagine the price bracket it was (is) in.

And that's not because I break things, but because sometimes, things just break.

Last edited by Katsunami; 04-22-2017 at 07:45 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:45 AM   #74
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
€2150 workstation class laptop: hell yeah. I'd not even consider it if it didn't come with a 5 year next business day warranty.
Me too. I have a top-of-the-range Dell laptop which I bought next business day cover for, because that's not something I could afford to replace out of ready cash.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:54 AM   #75
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Me too. I have a top-of-the-range Dell laptop which I bought next business day cover for, because that's not something I could afford to replace out of ready cash.
I've got a completely decked out Precision 7510; the most powerful 15.6 inch laptop available at the time I bought it. The exception is the graphics card: it's a Quadro M2000M, comparable with a GTX 965M. Had I bought a gaming laptop with the same specs, I'd have gotten a GTX 980M, but I'd only get a 1 year warranty.

So, I opted for the 5 years NBD warranty at DELL, instead of (even more) graphics power by buying an MSI, because I only play older games. I have a huge backlog. By the time I get around to The Witcher 3, the average phone will be able to run games like that.

I bought this laptop in the hopes of foregoing a desktop, so I also have the dock. Thanks to Windows 10, I now also have a new desktop, because the dock *STILL* works like shit 20 years on. Screen settings such as font sizes reset to default each time the laptop docks and undocks, not to mention other settings... so I'm back to my old setup with a desktop as a main computer, and an (almost) comparable laptop as second/backup.

I built the desktop myself, and each part of it has (at least) 2 years of warranty. As long as the mainboard and graphics card don't break, I'm good. .Even a defective graphics card 2 years from now would only be a minor inconvenience.

I'm not really concerned. I only have had one mainboard go toast on me in 20 years of buying my own computers. Ironically, it was 6 weeks out of the 3 years warranty, unreplaceable for an economical price seeing it was a 3 year old computer, and it was the most expensive computer I've ever built, based on two Xeon CPU's. 2004-2007, RIP... Its successor from 2008, which had a big upgrade in 2011/2012, still runs. Gave it away a few months ago.

Last edited by Katsunami; 04-22-2017 at 08:02 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote