Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 01:46 AM   #241
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
Hi Faterson, I have a prototype of that working and will probably make it for the update after the holidays. The only problem I'm having is that the restore currently overwrites existing highlights and bookmarks. It does not merge them.

Is this behaviour acceptable? What do you think?
Old 12-18-2012, 02:44 AM   #242
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
Is there a way to fix the brightness setting? Every time I go back to reading the brightness seems to have reset to around 30% and I have to drop it back to about 20% which is what I prefer. This is on an iPad mini with 6.01.
Advert
Old 12-18-2012, 02:47 AM   #243
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ho Valkrider. Marvin should remember your brightness setting. I'll check it out. By any chance, do you have the 'auto brightness' setting turned on in your iPad's settings?
Old 12-18-2012, 06:19 AM   #244
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
I have a prototype of that working and will probably make it for the update after the holidays. The only problem I'm having is that the restore currently overwrites existing highlights and bookmarks. It does not merge them.

Is this behaviour acceptable? What do you think?
Yes, it's definitely acceptable. It would be fantastic if you included this functionality in the post-holiday update. Then it would be also possible not just to delete individual books temporarily, but also to uninstall & reinstall the Marvin app at any time, without any data loss.

Of course, a merge functionality for highlights/notes/bookmarks on the basis of XHTML exports would be ultra-smart, but it did not even occur to me at this point. Please, just make the simple XHTML restore functionality available now, and you can always add the XHTML merge functionality later on, if you find it worthwhile to work on such a feature.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:22 AM   #245
kguil
Addict

I'll do my best
Advert
Old 12-19-2012, 12:55 AM   #246
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
So are you saying you are dropping the idea of bookmark syncing via the cloud?

What I love about both the Kindle app and iBooks is the fact that I can be reading on my iphone at night before sleeping, then get up the next day and pick up my ipad, and the book will find where i left off, and I can continue on from there. This has become a lot more important to me than I thought it would be, and I know many others use those apps for that very reason as well.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:05 AM   #247
kguil
Addict

No kyteflyer. When the iPhone version is available, iCloud sync will definitely be a core feature. What is being suggested, and what I'm working on for the next update is this:
  • Currently export highlights and notes, produces a human-readable XHTML file.
  • In the new version you'll also be able to export a special bookmarks, highlights and notes file that you can import later, if say, you deleted the book. This way you'll be able to get your annotations back.
  • You can also send this file to your friends so that they can see what you highlighted, annotated and bookmarked in a book.
  • This feature will support both overwriting your current annotations with the ones in the interchange file as well as merging with the highlights you already have.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:25 AM   #248
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Thumbs up

I'm calling the XHTML export file Marvin's no. 1 killer feature even now, but with all those improvements still to come (even the merge!), I'll just be left speechless.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:42 AM   #249
kguil
Addict

Thanks Faterson.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:56 AM   #250
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
OK, got it. Gee, Kris, this is sounding like it could end up being all things to all readers. Love it!
Old 12-20-2012, 02:33 AM   #251
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
Ho Valkrider. Marvin should remember your brightness setting. I'll check it out. By any chance, do you have the 'auto brightness' setting turned on in your iPad's settings?
No I don't have the auto brightness set on my iPad. Just checked again and definitely not set and the brightness changed back up.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:40 AM   #252
kguil
Addict

Ok Valkrider. I'll check out what's happening and get back to you.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:47 AM   #253
artbatista
Groupie
artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkrider View Post
No I don't have the auto brightness set on my iPad. Just checked again and definitely not set and the brightness changed back up.
I see the same thing in my iPad2.

Art
Old 12-20-2012, 02:50 AM   #254
kguil
Addict

Hi artbatista. I'm getting the same thing too. I just haven't tracked down the problem yet. I hope to have a solution for this later on today.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:20 AM   #255
adrian1944
Connoisseur
adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Imac, iPhone SE, iPad Air 2, Ipad Mini, Ipad Pro, Sony 650.
I would like to join all the people thanking Kris for this fantastic app and his incredible response to queries problems and new features.
I cannot wait for the post holiday version with better sort features.

One query for all those who have posted here. Why are there only three reviews on Itunes, are you all trying to keep this to yourselves rather than tell others. Only by reading this thread does one learn what is really available here and the way Kris responds to questions and suggestions. We have here a reader app maintained like Calibre so rate it and tell others. I just have.

adrian
Closed Thread