Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-04-2010, 05:47 AM   #1
webba84
webba84 is on a distinguished road

Device: Boox 60 aka Bebook Neo
This can't possibly be true, can it?

So I'm rather new to this whole ebook thing but very enthusiastic about it since I'm a regular traveller and a compulsive reader it's a perfect way to drag my collection of books around without requiring a sizable portable library. I've been more or less capable of accepting most of the things I've seen in this growing industry, even though some of them aren't ideal, but today I ran into something that left even my usual cynical self truly amazed.

I was looking around online for some of my favorite books in ebook format and was at this webpage: Overdrive Search, when I noticed the helpful little box detailing the legal restrictions of the adobe drm. For those who couldn't be bothered to go to the link it says the following:
Digital Rights:
Adobe EPUB eBook Rights
Copying not allowed
Printing not allowed
Lending not allowed
Reading aloud not allowed

I have never in my life seen a list that progressed so quickly to the truly surreal ridiculousness of the last item on this one. I'm sorry, is it really true that if I purchase this book I have not purchased the right to read it aloud? Even to myself? If I read it to my nephew are the though police going to be on their way round to pay me a visit? I could go on but it's really not worth it, right now I just feel like sitting in my house and waiting for them to cut off the oxygen because I shared some of it with my neighbor, or perhaps they can cut off the sunlight since I had the temerity to enjoy it with a friend.

Somebody please tell me that website is wrong before I despair of ever glimpsing even a semi-rational world.
Thank you for listening.
webba84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:57 AM   #2
nashira
Addict
nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
That's referring to the "read aloud" feature some e-readers/ebook software has, I believe.

Still stupid, though.
nashira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 06:01 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by webba84 View Post
I'm sorry, is it really true that if I purchase this book I have not purchased the right to read it aloud? Even to myself?
No, you misunderstand it. Some reading devices have a "text to speech" capability, whereby they will read a book out loud (in a very "robotic" voice). This licence restriction means that this capability is disabled for this particular book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 06:01 AM   #4
webba84

Right, really great for blind people I'm sure...

edit: and in any case, why for the love of all that is rational? How is the read aloud feature possibly going to be used to infringe on their copyright? Anymore than an actual person reading it aloud could be?
Old 07-04-2010, 06:02 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Right, really great for blind people I'm sure...
It's not about copyright; it's about whether the publisher has purchased "audio rights" for the book.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:03 AM   #6
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Don't despair, webba84, it's not preventing you from reading out loud to your nephew. It's basically saying that functions like the Kindle's text-to-speech are not allowed. I imagine it's because that would be encroaching into the category of audiobooks.

*EDIT*
Whoops. I see Harry already answered the question...
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 06:04 AM   #7
webba84

contractual rights can go shove it ...
I'm sorry, I'm far to angry right now to respond with the politeness you deserve. Thank you all for answering my question, it is a slight relief, at least.

edit: also you have to admit it's pretty funny the way it's been written there. There has to be a better way to phrase that...
Old 07-04-2010, 06:13 AM   #8
nashira
Addict
nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
contractual rights can go shove it ...
I'm sorry, I'm far to angry right now to respond with the politeness you deserve. Thank you all for answering my question, it is a slight relief, at least.

edit: also you have to admit it's pretty funny the way it's been written there. There has to be a better way to phrase that...
You're right. It'd be quicker for them if they just wrote: eBook Rights: Not Allowed!
nashira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 06:26 AM   #9
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
Harry I have to disagree. The publisher wouldn't need audio rights to allow text to speech software any more than they'd need it to allow someoen to read aloud from a book. They're in no way distributing an audiobook.

If you let the kindle read to you you might not buy the audiobook therefore to protect the audobook industry you must take away people's rights to use their hardware any way they want to.

Well unless you honestly believe there's goign to be a significant number of people sitting with an old cassette recorder taping the kindle tell a story. That would be taking piracy paranoia just a tad far yes?
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 06:43 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphinome View Post
Harry I have to disagree. The publisher wouldn't need audio rights to allow text to speech software any more than they'd need it to allow someoen to read aloud from a book. They're in no way distributing an audiobook.
The reason these rights are disabled is because there was an authors' association in the US which threatened legal action when TTS first appeared in ebook readers because they believed that their sales of separate audio rights was infringed by this technology. So blame the authors, not the producer of the ebook.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:59 AM   #11
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The reason these rights are disabled is because there was an authors' association in the US which threatened legal action when TTS first appeared in ebook readers because they believed that their sales of separate audio rights was infringed by this technology. So blame the authors, not the producer of the ebook.
Okay I'll blame them. Ridiculous abuse of the legal system. Akin to the publishers of large print books suing the makers of magnifying glasses for infringing.
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 07:32 AM   #12
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Thank the Authors Guild for this mess.

http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/02/28...or-publishers/
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 07:33 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thank you - those are the people I was referring to, but I couldn't remember the name.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:35 AM   #14
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Thank you - those are the people I was referring to, but I couldn't remember the name.
I thought it was the WGA at first, but then I did a search and all I could find was the windows genuine validation tool.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 07:49 AM   #15
obs20
Wizard
obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 600, Nook ST, Toshiba Excite 10.1 AT 300
It gets crazier!

[quote deleted by moderator]

Sorry, obs20, you can report what someone else has said in another article, but you can't just copy the entire article without permission - that's copyright infringement.

[Moderator]

Last edited by HarryT; 07-04-2010 at 07:52 AM.
obs20 is offline   Reply With Quote