Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-02-2014, 03:50 AM   #301
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
It could just be poorly coded. I cleaned up the code on one "238" page book, and it instantly dropped to about 199.
Yes, the Adobe algorithm just counts the characters in the source HTML, not the actual visible characters. So making the coding neater will reduce page count.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:13 AM   #302
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Hoping to complete my first book of the month today, The great Sherlock Holmes in A Study in Scarlet. This is my first time reading anything in the canon, but I am a fan of the legendary character, and I am really enjoying this story.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:12 PM   #303
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
It could just be poorly coded. I cleaned up the code on one "238" page book, and it instantly dropped to about 199.
Yes, there's something wrong because it keeps telling me I have read only 1% of the book, whereas I am well over halfway through. However, it doesn't bother me particularly - I'm too busy enjoying the stories!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:13 PM   #304
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Hoping to complete my first book of the month today, The great Sherlock Holmes in A Study in Scarlet. This is my first time reading anything in the canon, but I am a fan of the legendary character, and I am really enjoying this story.
They get better as you go along - that one's a bit clunky, as the book club found last year.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:19 PM   #305
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
They get better as you go along - that one's a bit clunky, as the book club found last year.
I see what you mean, but I did quite enjoy it, once I got over the abrupt "ending" in book one and the "confusing" beginning in book two.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:31 PM   #306
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Once you get done with the novels, I recommend seeing some of the movies about Sherlock Homes, you will appreciate the movies better since you read the books first.

In order to be right on track towards completion of my goal I need ot have read approximatly 2,500 pages by now and currently I have read apprixmatly 4,600, over 2,200more than necessary. At this rate I will not only meet my goals, I will "blow the doors off" the goal. I am moving the goal post to 50,600, should be able to make that assumin that I don't slack off between now and then.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:02 PM   #307
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Once you get done with the novels, I recommend seeing some of the movies about Sherlock Homes, you will appreciate the movies better since you read the books first.
What movies would you recommend? I have really enjoyed the Sherlock series (BBC) but did not like the fairly recent Robert Downey Jr movies (couldn't even sit through 1 of them).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
In order to be right on track towards completion of my goal I need ot have read approximatly 2,500 pages by now and currently I have read apprixmatly 4,600, over 2,200more than necessary. At this rate I will not only meet my goals, I will "blow the doors off" the goal. I am moving the goal post to 50,600, should be able to make that assumin that I don't slack off between now and then.
Excellent!

I am in a similar spot, but I need to wait for at least another month before I decide to raise my goal. I doubt I will keep reading this fast for long.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:33 PM   #308
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
I have really enjoyed the Sherlock series (BBC) but did not like the fairly recent Robert Downey Jr movies
It's not surprising. The Robert Downey Jr ones were designed to be action/thrillers, which is definitely what Sherlock Holmes fans would expect. Not. On the plus side, they have increased the number of teenagers who read Sherlock Holmes. I'm most acquainted with Basil Rathbone, but I see Netflix (disks) has a fair number of movies done in the 80s starring Jeremy Brett. Added them to my wish list.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:57 PM   #309
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Sherlock Holmes is on my soon to read list. Probably this year. Finally. I learned of him through Star Trek. (Data is a Sherlock Holmes fan.)

Who said Sci-Fi TV Shows are good for nothing? Some of them make you read classics! Haarrr...
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:02 PM   #310
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
It's not surprising. The Robert Downey Jr ones were designed to be action/thrillers, which is definitely what Sherlock Holmes fans would expect. Not. On the plus side, they have increased the number of teenagers who read Sherlock Holmes. I'm most acquainted with Basil Rathbone, but I see Netflix (disks) has a fair number of movies done in the 80s starring Jeremy Brett. Added them to my wish list.
The Jeremy Brett ones are excellent. He's still my favourite Holmes.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:55 PM   #311
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
[QUOTE=Dazrin;2755011]What movies would you recommend? I have really enjoyed the Sherlock series (BBC) but did not like the fairly recent Robert Downey Jr movies (couldn't even sit through 1 of them).

I still love the old Sherlock Homes movies with Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce. They were made in the 40s. When I reread the books it's always Basil Rathbone I see. Hound of The Baskervilles is my favourite.
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:02 PM   #312
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I'm weird, then. I love the books, hate every TV version, and adore the RDJ movies. I'm not even a movie person--especially not action/thrillers--at best, I'll sit through 1-2 movies a year, usually not in a theater. (Nor am I anywhere near being a teenager.) No, they're not canon, but for what they were, they were well done.

The books, I reread about twice a year.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:38 AM   #313
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I hope that none of brittish visitors to this forum take offense to this but, I do not like BBC series since they inevitably include various men in suits muttering under their breath at each other. Seems like I am reaching for the remote every time the BBC actors lower their voice at each other.

I rather enjoyed the Robert Downey, Jr movie as I am something of an action/adventure junkie. My favorite movie to come along in a long time was Black Halk Down, where the only time they weren't blowing up stuff or shooting at each other was when they were going to the palce where they would blow up stuff and shoot at each other. A pal and I used to say the best movie as that spare the skin and simply blow sh** up and keep the pulse pounding action going.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:50 AM   #314
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I love to see alternative takes on Holmes and Watson. I enjoyed the Downey Jr films' Steampunkish take on them. The Jeremy Brett series were the best straight take on them, as far as I'm concerned, but then, like your favourite Doctor Who, it probably depends on your age. There's also the likes of Without a Clue, where Watson was really the smart one. It's good that Holmes is so well established and well known that he can take this sort of playfulness.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:12 PM   #315
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I've enjoyed most versions of the TV/Movie Holmes, though not all. The Robert Downey, Jr. ones, not so much, but OK. Heck, I like the two current TV ones equally, even though they are COMPLETELY different. ("Elementary" and "Sherlock".)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote